Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.05.01, 01:58 PM   #16
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
as i said the club rules state stock parts only so my xmod is awd stage2 motor and sus upgrades
the surface is hard wood flooring and the Z's just carnt hack it , its not down to the driver even the best member in the club (he is 34 points in front ) carnt get his mr-03 to the kind of laps he can from his xmod gtr
Ok, AWD with 30K rpm motor could out run a rear wheel drive mr-03 on smooth wood.
However if the 30K motor is stock, then so would an x-speed motor. Since it is hard wood, I'd compare it to a AWD mini-z. At the point, I'm willing to be a stock AWD mini-z would out run your modded xmod.

I like my xmods and wish my club could run a fleet of them. But the radio's really are poor for those conditions. I need to make everyone stand at least 3 ft away from the track and 3 ft away from each other. Even then, they are a little finicky.

As far as steering resolution. Mini-z has it beat by a mile. As far as chassis quality (particularly wheel slop), mini-z has it again.

In the end, you get $50 worth of car out of an xmod, and $150 worth of mini racer out of the Mini-z. If you are just driving around your house or outside (gasp), then xmods is the way.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.01, 08:09 PM   #17
Jace1283
CCMMMK

i built one to race in our competitive club. The only way it would go straight is if awd was in it for some reason, so i ran it in awd class. It kicked butt and won all the time....until the Z's got 2.4 and spent more time tuning. Xmods are heavier and need more power to keep up with mini-zs, its not fair to an xmod to have to run the same motor as a Z. It's also very expensive to make one run well in a competitive environment, COMPLETE alloy drivetrain including knuckles, idk the thing probly cost 200+. It does handle nicely but its way easier to just get a Z goin quick. For me now it's Z's on the track and xmods everywhere else(mostly street)

in a young club that hasn't gotten super competitive, you could do well with a xmod with a Z board, but if people get serious and there's some talent, itll be hard keeping up.

you could make it run on lithium and hope no one notices thatll solve the weight issue and some extra

Last edited by Jace1283; 2010.05.01 at 08:18 PM.
Jace1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 02:25 AM   #18
reaper

x-speed motors canot be run , they did try them at one point but in a 2wd on that surface the rear end traction gave up

we dont have any problems with the radio's , we run 7 heats with 6 drivers per heat , the "podium" is a bench on one side of the track and racers are normally shoulder to shoulder so long as the aerial is pointed up no problems

as for an ma-010 being faster i beg to differ my awd with a stock-r is slower on the dyno than my xmod (i havent raced it with that motor it was just to see how fast it was )

all in all i fyou have the money and a GOOD rcp track get Z's they will rule , but new commers or young racers an xmod is more than fast enough and on a wood gym will out perform a stock Z

Last edited by reaper; 2010.05.02 at 02:29 AM.
reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 08:21 AM   #19
ChiMiniRc

Nice decal work

Maybe that is the problem. Perhaps I need to get them ALL a decent distance away from the track. The biggest problems is when a car on another channel gets close to someone else's transmitter.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 12:22 PM   #20
reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
Nice decal work

Maybe that is the problem. Perhaps I need to get them ALL a decent distance away from the track. The biggest problems is when a car on another channel gets close to someone else's transmitter.
we dont stand any distance from the track but its always on the main straight so the cars pass at a good speed and dont get chance to interfere
Old 2010.05.02, 12:36 PM   #21
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
as for an ma-010 being faster i beg to differ my awd with a stock-r is slower on the dyno than my xmod (i havent raced it with that motor it was just to see how fast it was )

all in all i fyou have the money and a GOOD rcp track get Z's they will rule , but new commers or young racers an xmod is more than fast enough and on a wood gym will out perform a stock Z

With all due respect...

(for the sake of this post, Mini-Z is reffering to MA-010 cars in comparison to Xmod AWD)

MA-010 with the same motor and gearing has more efficient drivetrain and lighter weight and superior FETs. Physics therefore demand that the Mini-Z is faster. There is no longer an argument here.

I think when he said "faster" he didn't mean straight line anyhow, he meant around a track, not sure about that.

If the track is not-technical, then the Mini-Z advantage gets lessened. On a technical slick course Mini-Z again, is lighter, more precise and even has a much tighter turning radius and will outperform an Xmod especially with a stock board.

This being said, I dont hate Xmods, I think there great for what you said they are great for. Plus they got many people like myself into 1/28 scale racing so they have definitely earned my applause. They are great outside and great for newcomers to get into with but lets stop the silly argument that Xmods are better racers in any way other than being financially lighter on the wallet.

Notice I avoided citing any personal experience here. There is far too many unknown and intangible variables left to question with personal experience accounts.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!

Last edited by Action B; 2010.05.02 at 12:41 PM.
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 01:01 PM   #22
J-Milz

I'd like to see video of that statement (xmods beating a mini z). Until then, Im gonna have to fly the BS flag like the Jolly Roger!
Old 2010.05.02, 01:19 PM   #23
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Milz View Post
I'd like to see video of that statement (xmods beating a mini z). Until then, Im gonna have to fly the BS flag like the Jolly Roger!
Sure, I can make a video of an Xmod beating a Mini-Z. Its not really proof unless someone with known skill in setting up and driving a Mini-Z was in the video racing.

Old 2010.05.02, 03:45 PM   #24
J-Milz

Sure you can. You can have two drivers of similiar skill run both cars for let's say 3-5 min quals, switch cars and run the test again. That way you can get an idea of lap times. Also what mods are done to each car? What radio? Tires? What radio was used in each car? You cannot make a statement like that without providing the FULL fact of each car and their setups.

I remember seeing something like this on the tube and the xmods lost due to wacky handling and crappy turn radius.

Last edited by J-Milz; 2010.05.02 at 03:48 PM.
J-Milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 04:01 PM   #25
reaper

Quote:
Sure you can. You can have two drivers of similiar skill run both cars for let's say 3-5 min quals, switch cars and run the test again. That way you can get an idea of lap times. Also what mods are done to each car? What radio? Tires? What radio was used in each car? You cannot make a statement like that without providing the FULL fact of each car and their setups.

I remember seeing something like this on the tube and the xmods lost due to wacky handling and crappy turn radius.
that vid was made by tom aka programmers and it was using a gen1 xmod

now you guys seem to be missing the point and want to turn this into an xmod vs mini-z thread ......there are loads of them and we dont need anymore

my statements are based on actual events not propaganda , i race xmods and i race mini-z's and on that particular surface xmods are better why ? i do not know , i was all ready to bash there claims until i turned up and tried then there was no denying that xmods were a better car for there track

now back to the actual question in this thread .
i would get a few cars get them running right and loan them to the local kids to race , this will get them into our scale and when they get better im sure they will not mind spending the extra cash on a Z
Old 2010.05.02, 04:02 PM   #26
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Quote:

Well what if the driver in the video wanted to prove that Xmods were faster? There really could be a biased video in that case.

Also, when I first started racing Mini-Z I was slower because I wasn't used to the super fast responsive and twitchy steering, so even if back then I drove one then the other, its not necessarily a fair comparison. I could have made a video of that first day when I started driving the Z and it would have been unfair.