Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.01.03, 08:23 PM   #16
kenontap

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
soy, we can discuss where help is best needed this saturday thanks for offering to help. one thing is clear though, i can't do it all by myself

unless i am missing something i believe qualifiers are to determine starting position. when you have large numbers of people, it also cuts down the field for the mains.

my thoughts;
qualifier 1 (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)
qualifier 2 (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)

mains (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)
how many out of these make it into the mains? all or limit the number? i am assuming we will not have more than 4 on average particiapte. at most i expect 6. there is always the chance everyone will show up but not all have expressed interest or verbally committed to the series.

can someone explain in detail how this should work?
I will be happy help anyway i can. I can run the Hfay races so you can participate. Dont think i will have a legal Hfay car in time anyway.

6 or more split the mains. If its a small turnout than just run 1 big A main. Just make sure that everyone has someone to race. 3 min 6 max is a perfect.
kenontap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.03, 09:37 PM   #17
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
what are you missing? i found a stock motor and i might be able to scrounge up a stock fet board.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.03, 11:05 PM   #18
kenontap

Im still gathering the parts to build my stock car. I dont think i have a good stock mini-z motor. Is it the white endbell motor? All i have is iwaver stock motors (black endbell).
kenontap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.04, 05:10 AM   #19
arch2b

i just found another stock kyosho motor (white end bell). it will need some cleaning and oil as it's been sitting for a long time. it's in about as good condition as my stock motor anyway. oh, ordered some of that stuff from last weekend after you left... i should have it before saturday. i also found a mini-zracer cf v plate for mr-02 rm if your interested.
Old 2006.01.04, 08:33 AM   #20
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Ken, I have at least one spare stock motor (and I could probably source another two if there is a need for them on Saturday, I'll disassemble my MR01 before I come ). One of these should be brand new for all intents and purposes (no track time).

Arch, I take it this means the HFAY OLPS is stock-only? I guess I wasn't following closely enough, as I thought there would be stock and modified categories (as with the individual time runs).
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.04, 08:49 AM   #21
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyverde
Arch, I take it this means the HFAY OLPS is stock-only? I guess I wasn't following closely enough, as I thought there would be stock and modified categories (as with the individual time runs).
The HFAY OLPS is stock only. Basically stock motor, stock board + any hopups.

Arch has decided to run a second series in parallel. Same tracks, same format except run whatever you want. This one will be for the DC guys only. Mostly bragging rites and Arch hinted at maybe donating a small prize.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.04, 09:34 AM   #22
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
soy, we can discuss where help is best needed this saturday thanks for offering to help. one thing is clear though, i can't do it all by myself
It looks like there's enough people willing to help that everyone can have a job. Maybe Arch won't have to do anything.

Quote:
unless i am missing something i believe qualifiers are to determine starting position. when you have large numbers of people, it also cuts down the field for the mains.

my thoughts;
qualifier 1 (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)
qualifier 2 (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)

mains (3 min., max allowable 6 cars)
how many out of these make it into the mains? all or limit the number? i am assuming we will not have more than 4 on average particiapte. at most i expect 6. there is always the chance everyone will show up but not all have expressed interest or verbally committed to the series.

can someone explain in detail how this should work?
I guess the details depend on how many people are racing. If we assume there are 6 people. Maybe it would go something like this.

HFAY Qualifier Round 1
Race 1 - 3 Cars (6 minutes)
Race 2 - 3 Cars (6 minutes)

OPEN Qualifier Round 1

Break for everyone to tune cars, change batteries etc

HFAY Qualifier Round 2

OPEN Qualifier Round 2

Break for everyone to tune cars, change batteries etc
Review results. Everyone gets seeded for the main based on their best time from the two qualifiers.

HFAY MAIN
Six Cars (8 minutes)

OPEN Main
Six Cars (8 Minutes)

With this shedule it would probably take an hour to do each "Round" of qualifers (HFAY and OPEN). If we got setup (timing, etc) from 2:00 to 2:30 and started the quals at 2:30, we could probably be ready for the mains around 4:30 or 5:00.

With this much racing, we might need a time keeper to keep us on track. If we got short on time, the second round of qualifiers could include all 6 cars. Also if we only have 4 or 5 HFAY racers, each qualifier would only be one race.

We probably need several "race-day officials"
  • Time Keeper (Keep races moving on schedule)
  • Core Guru(Check-in cars and manage timing)
  • Results Master (Organize results for starting position in main)
This should keep the burden off of Arch so he can put forth his best effort for the races.

I hope this post isn't too long. Any suggestions, modifications, questions are welcome.
Old 2006.01.04, 09:54 AM   #23
briankstan

I would suggest you guys run only 3 cars in the HFAY mains. Less Cars mean less traffic. it might help you achieve faster times. It would require running 2 mains thougth, just a thought.

This is how we (Salt Lake Mini-Z) are going to do it.

Brian
Old 2006.01.04, 10:03 AM   #24
imxlr8ed

I agree... sure it'll take more time, but it'll be worth it in the long run ! We ran 6 cars up here, and it was tough to get around. 3 cars will allow you to develop a better rhythm.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.04, 10:28 AM   #25
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

That's a really good idea. I guess I just assumed that we had to run all of the cars in the same main.

So an update on my suggestion.

HFAY MAIN
Race 1 Three Cars (8 minutes)
Race 2 Three Cars (8 minutes)

If we did it this way, would we basically have a "fast" main and a "faster" main, rearranging the mains based on qualifying times.

Maybe we could keep the Open Main as 6 cars just to have something a little different.

And one more thought I had for the DC guys, how should we determine the groupings for the qualifiers? Maybe just pick starting position out of a hat or something? Suggestions encouraged on this one...
Old 2006.01.04, 03:58 PM   #26
arch2b

great suggestions all

i am willing to do as much as i can as you guys have pointed out, it just makes it easier when there are delegated tasks.

in the interest of shaving some time off the schedule, perhaps we should not limit the number of cars in the dc/open qualifiers and mains? ccson, soyverde an others tend to leave early compared to chuckyluv and some others. there is nothing wrong with that mind you, i completely understand the need to... i want to make this as easy on the most of us as possible is all. the last thing i want is for anything involved with our club to create stress at the homefront.

we will have a better idea of who will be participating this saturday. it could be 4, it could be 8....
Old 2006.01.04, 04:15 PM   #27
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
in the interest of shaving some time off the schedule, perhaps we should not limit the number of cars in the dc/open qualifiers and mains?

we will have a better idea of who will be participating this saturday. it could be 4, it could be 8....
That sounds like a good idea. I think I actually prefer to run with a full track. I don't think it's faster, but it is more fun.

Let's see who shows up and race accordingly.
Old 2006.01.04, 09:58 PM   #28
arch2b

i just realized i have to move the starting line.... the rules call for staggered starting grid behind the starting line and well, i have the starting line at the back end of the straight.

we also need to relocate some tiles to match the offical layouts (side bumps, etc.)

actually, just noticed something else... http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19789

Last edited by arch2b; 2006.01.04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 2006.01.04, 10:09 PM   #29
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
actually, just noticed something else... http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19789
What are you pointing out in the link? The poll? It may be something obvious but it's late for me and I don't see it.

I guess I'll find out in the morning.
Old 2006.01.04, 10:10 PM   #30
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
What are you pointing out in the link? The poll? It may be something obvious but it's late for me and I don't see it.

I guess I'll find out in the morning.
the starting line in the offical track layouts does not allow for equal placement of the starting grid to give equal distance in each direction much less room for a staggered starting grid.