Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.12.11, 01:02 PM   #1
rmorin49

NOOB ?: Best Place to Buy Body Kits

I just purchased my first Mini-Z, a MR-015 VW R32. I drive a real R32 so I thought it would be cool to get a matching RC car. Anyway, I would also like to buy a couple more bodies that will fit this chassis. Where is the best place to buy them? I am interested in maybe a Cobra, Ferrari, Porsche or other classic sports cars. Thanks.
rmorin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.11, 01:12 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The shop here is a good place to start looking...

If they dont have what you want, check out reflex racing

If you have any questions regarding body compatability, feel free to ask. The R32 is a 94mm HM car. But you can use alternative rear ends to change the motor configuration to RM or MM. In general, MM is the best configuration, since the motor sits between the axles, so weight is more centralized. With different bodies, you may have different wheelbases, so take that in mind when looking for a new body. You may need to change the motormount and damping system a little, and/or shave the body slightly around the wheel wells for more clearance if you dont want to adjust the wheelbase of the car. Sometimes we do have to sacrifice appearance to get the suspension settings that we want to run, take that in mind when choosing bodies that are low and leave little room over the rear end.

Cobra, Porsche GT3/GT1, F355, Dino, are all 90mm RM cars (but there are 90mm MM mounts available).

F512BB is 94mm RM.

I know most off of the top of my head, but there is a pretty good list: http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...ity-Chart.aspx
Old 2010.12.11, 01:50 PM   #3
rmorin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The shop here is a good place to start looking...

If they dont have what you want, check out reflex racing

If you have any questions regarding body compatability, feel free to ask. The R32 is a 94mm HM car. But you can use alternative rear ends to change the motor configuration to RM or MM. In general, MM is the best configuration, since the motor sits between the axles, so weight is more centralized. With different bodies, you may have different wheelbases, so take that in mind when looking for a new body. You may need to change the motormount and damping system a little, and/or shave the body slightly around the wheel wells for more clearance if you dont want to adjust the wheelbase of the car. Sometimes we do have to sacrifice appearance to get the suspension settings that we want to run, take that in mind when choosing bodies that are low and leave little room over the rear end.

Cobra, Porsche GT3/GT1, F355, Dino, are all 90mm RM cars (but there are 90mm MM mounts available).

F512BB is 94mm RM.

I know most off of the top of my head, but there is a pretty good list: http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...ity-Chart.aspx
Thanks for the advice. Is the process of swapping the MMs difficult? I am not planning to race, just have fun in my driveway with my grandkids. I thought I would have at least one body to have fun with and not worry about damaging it and maybe a couple more for display purposes. I was hoping I could just pop the bodies on and off the same setup but I guess I will be really limited given the 94mm HM. BTW, what does HM mean? I was guessing RM was rear mount and mm is Mid Mount. Is this correct?

The F512BB sounds nice but I can't find one. Any help?
Old 2010.12.11, 01:57 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
You would need to paint and assemble it like a standard model... http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?p...4&cat=0&page=1

I will keep on the lookout, and let you know if I find anything about the 512BB. They may have one Autoscale at the local track.

If you trim the wheel wells of some of the cars to 94mm, you can easily swap them without changing much, but this will hurt the appearance a little. I use the f355 regularly at 94mm MM, although it is a 90mm RM body.

Its a pretty simple switch to go with the MM mounts, but if you are using the cars outside, the RM may provide more rear grip which would help get power down on concrete/asphalt.
Old 2010.12.11, 04:10 PM   #5
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Is the process of swapping the MMs difficult? BTW, what does HM mean?
The F512BB sounds nice but I can't find one. Any help?
In order to swap a body you need to change the noseclip and the wheels.
Some bodies are wider and this will require different offsets.
If you purchased the new MR-03 the chassis can be tuned for narrow and wide bodies as well.

The term HM is high mount.

You didnt mention where you are from and there are LHS that stock mini z bodies and may have what you are looking for.
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.11, 10:24 PM   #6
rmorin49

Body for MR-015 HM chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
In order to swap a body you need to change the noseclip and the wheels.
Some bodies are wider and this will require different offsets.
If you purchased the new MR-03 the chassis can be tuned for narrow and wide bodies as well.

The term HM is high mount.

You didnt mention where you are from and there are LHS that stock mini z bodies and may have what you are looking for.
I live in Hagerstown, MD. I bought the ready to run R32 on ebay.

http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I should have figured at a price of less than $80 that it was not one of the more desirable models. Since I drive an R32 just like the car I bought I wanted to keep the R32 body as a display and use another body on the car when I was running it in my driveway or vacant parking lot. If anyone has a body or knows where I can find one that will fit on my chassis without any modification please let me know. I did find a listing for a Mini Cooper MR-015 HM boday at Kenon Hobby but it is out of stock. It was listed at $29.99 which is about what I wanted to pay. I would prefer a Ferrari, Porsche or other older sports car but at this point will consider most anything.

I really appreciate all the help and advice. I'm an old geezer, retired Army Colonel trying to enjoy life with my grandkids who all have less costly larger scale RC cars. Happy Holidays to everyone.
Old 2010.12.12, 07:30 AM   #7
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
I live in Hagerstown, MD. I bought the ready to run R32 on ebay.
I really appreciate all the help and advice. I'm an old geezer, retired Army Colonel trying to enjoy life with my grandkids who all have less costly larger scale RC cars. Happy Holidays to everyone.
As far as Hi mount bodies (im not a true expert)
Volkswagen Beetle
VW R32 (you have)
VW Golf
Mini Cooper
Toyota Vitz
Honda Fit
one or two more.....(squarish looking)
There is a new one being released (name slips me....im old too)

What you can do is purchase a 90mm low mount aluminum motor mount w a CF disk damper from PN. You also need a new motor w holes in the can for mounting.(stock motor has no mounting holes) The aluminum motor mount is adjustable for pinions/gearing and also for wheelbases...(90-98mm) This will open a world of 90mm and larger bodies you can use.....the low mount will give the chassis a lower center of gravity and greatly reduce roll overs too....

Last edited by bermbuster; 2010.12.12 at 07:35 AM.
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.13, 08:00 PM   #8
rmorin49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
As far as Hi mount bodies (im not a true expert)
Volkswagen Beetle
VW R32 (you have)
VW Golf
Mini Cooper
Toyota Vitz
Honda Fit
one or two more.....(squarish looking)
There is a new one being released (name slips me....im old too)

What you can do is purchase a 90mm low mount aluminum motor mount w a CF disk damper from PN. You also need a new motor w holes in the can for mounting.(stock motor has no mounting holes) The aluminum motor mount is adjustable for pinions/gearing and also for wheelbases...(90-98mm) This will open a world of 90mm and larger bodies you can use.....the low mount will give the chassis a lower center of gravity and greatly reduce roll overs too....
Thanks. I think I'll order a MINI Cooper as I used to have one. I want to keep the R32 body for display and use another one for use with my grandkids as it will get banged up. Where do you recommend I purchase the body. Do they come with wheels and a display chassis? I saw a couple but they have 90 mm wheelbases and I think mine is 94mm. Maybe I'll have to go with the GTI.