Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.06.14, 02:22 PM   #1
RedSXmodder

Just some of my motor winding snaps!

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum (and mini-Z's for that matter), but I've been winding motors for about a year now. I just wanted to show you guys some of my work, and have you critique it! I know, its not SUPER-good, but hey, I'm trying...

21t 26awg arm:

16t Micro T arm, 30awg:

32t skew wound (homemade spiral armature) 30awg:

45t 30awg arm:

38t 30awg arm:

those two together:

All these photographs are curtesy of Donziikid Photography. Aren't they beautiful pictures? Really bring out the flaws in my work, lol...

Thanks for looking, and feel free to comment!
RedSXmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.14, 02:44 PM   #2
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

top work red,i was gonna say those pics are a bit special
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.14, 08:38 PM   #3
pfcparts

Getting there; little more work.

Looks real good though red; especially the 38t.

parts
pfcparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.15, 10:01 AM   #4
RedSXmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
top work red,i was gonna say those pics are a bit special
Thanks Matt, that means alot coming from as good as a winder as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcparts View Post
Getting there; little more work.

Looks real good though red; especially the 38t.

parts
Thanks, and I agree, the 38t is one of my best. Runs beautifully, too!

Here are some groovy shots I had Kyle take for me. I call them, Spintastic:

Later,
RedSXmodder
Old 2008.06.15, 04:15 PM   #5
Flashsp-2
motor guru

That's some good stuff you got there. Do you get any shorting issues with the lamination being removed from the armatures? Just asking because it has happened to me a couple of times. Good work though, I like the homemade spiral (I did a homemade long armature before).

Available at www.Maine-iac-motors-rc.com
Flashsp-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.15, 08:39 PM   #6
RedSXmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashsp-2 View Post
That's some good stuff you got there. Do you get any shorting issues with the lamination being removed from the armatures? Just asking because it has happened to me a couple of times. Good work though, I like the homemade spiral (I did a homemade long armature before).
Thanks!

I have had a few arms short, so on the arms I remove the plastic guard on, I place a small layer of clear laquer over the chunk of the pole that the winds sit on.

I do this so I can fit more winds on the base layer, and it creates a studdier, easier to work with base.

Later,
RedSXmodder
Old 2008.09.29, 09:33 PM   #7
RedSXmodder

More snaps from Kyle today, but one of them is something extra special:

17x2 Off-Road Armature/FAT Comm:

24t Armature/FAT Comm:

Feel free to comment!

Later,
RedSXmodder
Old 2008.09.30, 07:02 AM   #8
ub0211042

does winding a motor as small at 130 need to be balanced with something?
in PN or atomic armature, there is a dot of epoxy to make it balanced i guess.
Mini-Z MR-03
FX-101 Dnano 360 Modena
ub0211042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.01, 02:09 PM   #9
lugnutz

hey red they look better than the ones we use to do at trin*** for team guys
Old 2008.10.06, 08:21 PM   #10
GIHOSU
Unregistered Abuser

Motor ?s

Hey Red,

That looks like good work to me, excellent job.

I guess I should ask here. Can some one explain what 'turns' refers to and what different amounts of turns do in a practical way?

I am also wondering about how different gauges of wire effect how a motor performs.

Is there a relation ship between wire gauges and 'turns'?

My mind can't help but think that turns may equal the amount of times each phase (no idea what to call the 3 portions of the armiture) gets wrapped with wire. 1+2+3+4+5+6=21?

I am also guessing that 'awg' refers to wire gauge or size. I know that a higher number is a thinner wire.

Magnets and their different strengths are very easy to discern each time I let go of the trigger. Do they effect torque or speed or both?

As anyone can see I have many questions.

I am a handling and setup guy who knows how to make fast flowing turns. I am absolutely in the dark about the electronic/electrical side of Mini-Zs. My cars run great and I drive the beans out of them, once in a while I even place in a race. I have always run stock electronics and motors, some combos (2.4 w/ a Stock R or AD band w/ a PN AD) are truly breathtaking and will keep you paying attention so intensely that the outside world goes away for the duration of a set of Orion 900s.

I'm in it for the friends and fun but my driving is getting to the point of making me think about talking to someone about a custom motor for my tourqe-loving oversteering way of making fast laps.

If this is all posted somewhere else let me know. Any answers would really help...
GIHOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.06, 09:26 PM   #11
RedSXmodder

Quote:
Hey Red,

That looks like good work to me, excellent job.
Thanks!

Quote:
I guess I should ask here. Can some one explain what 'turns' refers to and what different amounts of turns do in a practical way?
Turns refers to the number of times the magnetic wire is wrapped around the armature pole. The higher the "turn" count, the more torque/less amp draw/less rpm, the lower the turn count, the lower the torque/higher amp draw/higher rpm. Any experienced racer (at least in the higher scales) looks into the certain wind counts that his motor has, and finds that precise number that suits his/her style of driving.

Quote:
I am also wondering about how different gauges of wire effect how a motor performs.
A thicker guage wire will allow more current to travel through it, increasing the amp draw, however, if you have high current batteries, and a FET stack, you should be able to run these HOT motors. However, due to the low wind count (wire is larger, harder to fit more winds on the pole) it lacks the torque that a thinner AWG will offer. As for thinner AWG, its typically used on anywhere from the motors with turns in the 30's to the 70's. I use alot of 30awg wire, because its easy to work with, and has an upper hand on 31-32awg wire.

Quote:
Is there a relation ship between wire gauges and 'turns'?
The above quote should answer that fairly well.

Quote:
My mind can't help but think that turns may equal the amount of times each phase (no idea what to call the 3 portions of the armiture) gets wrapped with wire. 1+2+3+4+5+6=21?
Exactamundo my friend. The only difference would be a 2x armature, like the one I posted. Its actually has 34t on each pole, but is only recognized as 17 because it uses two strands of wire. Its a difficult concept to grasp.

Quote:
I am also guessing that 'awg' refers to wire gauge or size. I know that a higher number is a thinner wire.
Again, hit the nail right on the head.

Quote:
Magnets and their different strengths are very easy to discern each time I let go of the trigger. Do they effect torque or speed or both?
Neodiymium magnets are very powerful, and increase torque HIGHLY. You will notice a difference in off-throttle roll with these magnets, and they create more friction than Iso Ferrite's, or other Standard magnets. However, torque gains are huge, and I'm almost sure a majority of HOT motors or aftermarket motors use them. The decrease RPM though. Iso-Ferrite mags are a great choice for motors with turns in the upper 30's, lower 40's because the torque is in armature windings, and you don't need the help from the magnets. Thats how I think of it, at least.

Quote:
As anyone can see I have many questions.
Never hurts to ask

Quote:
I am a handling and setup guy who knows how to make fast flowing turns. I am absolutely in the dark about the electronic/electrical side of Mini-Zs. My cars run great and I drive the beans out of them, once in a while I even place in a race. I have always run stock electronics and motors, some combos (2.4 w/ a Stock R or AD band w/ a PN AD) are truly breathtaking and will keep you paying attention so intensely that the outside world goes away for the duration of a set of Orion 900s.

I'm in it for the friends and fun but my driving is getting to the point of making me think about talking to someone about a custom motor for my tourqe-loving oversteering way of making fast laps.

If this is all posted somewhere else let me know. Any answers would really help...
Cool, sounds like alot of fun! I'd really like to get into racing, but I'd have to take a trip to get to a track! If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask, or feel free to hit me, No Motor Limit (NML i believe), or Flashsp-2 on any questions. I'm a rook compared to these guys!

Later,
RedSXmodder
Old 2008.10.10, 04:50 AM   #12
Felix2010

RedSXmodder- Very nice work. I am wondering, You've done a few fairly-low winds on standard-size arms (standard-size poles), like the 21t, 24t, 32t... Do you have any RPM specs for these + Amp draw @4.8v & @6.0v ?
The lowest-turn standard-size armature I've tried is the Tamiya PlasmaDash which is 27t. I installed it in a new PN Ultra BB Can with Neos + new PN silver/carbon brushes and it is crazy hot - It exceeds 60k RPM @4.8v. What a blast it would be at a big track like kenon.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.11, 10:45 AM   #13
GIHOSU
Unregistered Abuser

Thanks Red,

I appreciate your answers. I wasn't that far off...
GIHOSU is offline   Reply With Quote