Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005.12.26, 01:02 PM   #1
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Atlanta Mini Scale Racing Announcement

Mini scale racing has begun in the Atlanta Georgia area!

We are racing 1/28th scale (Mini-Z, I-Waver, X-Mods) and 1/18th scale. I have a custom built track and a Core lap counting system. We will be racing in my basement in Alpharetta (North Atlanta).

Track:

Currently the track dimensions are approx 20' X 12' and the lane width is 3'. The track and rails are made of EVA foam anti fatigue mats, and seem to offer good traction with the right tires. The track features rumble strips (the red and white borders around the corners) and grassy areas. I also have a TV hooked up to display race stats. If we can generate enough interest, I will eventually find an alternate location to race, and expand the track to up 30 to 40 feet by 15 to 20 (depending upon the available space).

Schedule:

I am planning on our next GTG on Saturday, Jan 7th. Door opens at 12:00 and racing starting at 3:00. Tentatively then, we will plan on running every other Sunday thereafter (and possible exchanging some Sundays with Saturdays). As we begin racing, we could always discuss a schedule that would be more accommodating for the majority of the racers... like possibly week nights. Also up for popular vote will be the race times.

Classes:

Initially, I'd like to start with only 3 classes; Novice and Open for 1/28th and Open for 1/18th. I want to have a novice class so that new and "novice" level drivers do not feel intimidated by the veterans. It will be recommended that this class be restricted to stock motors. However, exceptions may be made on a case by case basis; for example, a generation 1 X-Mod upgraded to a "mod" motor just so that it could keep up with a stock Mini-Z would be acceptable. This class is important for the growth of our hobby, so we want to try to keep it fun for the participants. I'm sure we'll modify our classes and rules as necessary as we continue to grow.

We had our first GTG Sunday, Dec 11th, and the turnout was pretty good for our first. We had 5 1/28th scales, and 4 1/18th's. The track's current lane width of 3 feet is pretty tight for 1/18ths, but I thought it was still fun. We ran some impromptu races with the lap counting system. I wanted to test the system and get a feel for what cars and racers to expect. At our next GTG, I plan on having a more structured event with qualifiers and mains. I'll set a start time and we will try to get through the races in an orderly fashion so people can get back to their regularly scheduled lives (if they want to that is). Or they can stay and play for a while if they want to!

If you are interested in joining us, please let me know by posting here. If you had been posting on TFB's website about our racing, please post here and let me know that you've found this thread. Unfortunately TFB removed our posts and I want to make sure we don't lose anybody who was interested. I plan on using this forum as the "official" place for us to chat about our racing (for now).

For my contact information and address for racing, click on my profile and e-mail me. I'll reply with the info.

Thanks and if you're in the area, I hope you can join us!
AtlRC is offline   Reply With Quote