Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.04.16, 05:27 AM   #1
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Minolta Toyota 88C

Iím having so much fun painting my McLaren body that I got it in my head to do a 1:24 conversion kit. Luckily there was a model kit swap meet here recently and I found numerous kits to choose from. It was tough to decide on just one, but I finally settled on this Hasegawa kit of the Minolta Toyota 88C for $17.

I wanted to do an LMP1 open-cab car, but aside from the staggering price of the only kit I found (around $120), the back end sits so low to the axle that I doubt itíd work even with an F1 chassis.

So here are some pictures of the early planning stages. The wheel base is a good bit longer as I expected. I forget the numbers now, but I think I can just use an RM T-Plate mounted on a different spot. If not Iíll just build an extension plate.

My plan was to use F1 wheels and tires which turn out to be very close to the scale tires, but then I discovered the F1 fronts only sit correctly on the longer F1 knuckles, so that idea is out. Iíll have to make do with the smaller MR wheels and 3mm offsets.

The thing I didnít see coming was the radiator intakes. They protrude pretty far inside the car, intersecting the outer battery compartment. Iíll have to do some careful measuring and cut them back, then use sheet styrene to close it back up.

As with my McLaren project, this will likely proceed very slowly. Busy, busy, busy, but Iíll post updates as they happen. BTW, Iím almost done with the Rainbow Studios McLaren seen in the other thread. Itís 12th coat of Gloss is drying right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheKit.jpg (106.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg WheelBase.jpg (116.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg TheIntakeProblem.jpg (108.8 KB, 86 views)
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.16, 05:53 AM   #2
HaCo
02-Racer

You could use the Minolta decals on a VDS shell, would look perfect IMO
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.17, 03:24 AM   #3
herman

that's going to become one sic mod... can't wait to see it...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.21, 06:02 AM   #4
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Proceeding along, I took lots of precise measurements and began cutting up styrene to build the custom side clipsÖ what a waste.

After I began I realized, for less money than I spent on styrene packs, I could just order VDS clips and glue spacers on them. These clips must reach 3/4Ē inside, with the wide back plate reaching a full inch.

Oh well, plug forward. Astonishingly, Hobby Bench didnít have the T-Stock to fit just exactly the size needed, so I got solid strips. With a couple hours of carving and filing the T-notches were made. The plates were glued together and the clips looked good.

But alas, the next day I fitted them again into the chassis to proudly show the wife my nightís work, and noticed that one clip angled up higher than the other. Doh.

Its tough to hand carve an even notch, much less its twin. So, Iím just going to order the precise and uniform VDS body clip set. Itíll be easier to just make even spacers for them. This fitting must be precise or the body will not sit level.

The cut-lines have been carefully measured and marked out on the radiator intakes. Next up they go under the saw so that the body will fit over the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChopChop.jpg (120.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SideClips_Done.jpg (106.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2006.04.21 at 06:06 AM.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.21, 01:28 PM   #5
Fish

Send a message via MSN to Fish
Can't wait for the results. Everything looks pretty good so far.

Guess you're set on the blue/white Minolta livery? And the side vents look to be functional now, drawing air into the battery area.

miniRC ca
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.21, 02:42 PM   #6
ARN

so will the vds wheel offset work well for this?...what about that CP mr-02 cup car kit to extend the wheel base? anyway look cool!
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.21, 10:50 PM   #7
herman

hmm... wouldn't a mr015 chassis be a better fit? you would just have to have the right offset rims up front and rear...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote