Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.03.23, 05:42 PM   #1
Dracer07
MZM Master

Send a message via AIM to Dracer07
Differential Tutorial

Install: remove stock differential. Then, remove the small blue wheel hub with an allen wrench. After that it slides right where the stock differential came out of.

Adjustment: Adjust your differential collar or nut (refer to illustration below) out until you can fairly easily turn the spur gear with both tires stationary (not allowing the tires to turn).

With a MZM that wants to still be able to do wheelies and have crawling, you need to adjust almost at full tightness, same thing with an OL. (This is what I did and can still get good wheelies and smooth ride.)…NOTE-The diff won’t “slip” anymore and the tires will rotate in the same direction.

Now with fresh batteries in your car put it on a high grip surface, and hit the throttle. You should hear the diff spinning before the car moves. If not, loosen the adjustment collar/nut a little more and try it again.

After you get it spinning, tighten the adjustment just enough until you obtain full throttle take off with no slippage.

This is your starting point!

Fine Adjustment: Adjust your diff according to the surface your running on. A good rule of thumb is the higher the grip, the tighter the setting. The less grip the looser the setting. Like I said, it's a guessing game and this rule may not always apply.

If you run on a surface that has very low grip, adjust in (tighter) for little slip to allow the diff to act as a slipper clutch.

CAUTION, too much slip will cause the drive rings to heat up and it may damage your spur gear. Softer tires also help to improve traction.

High grip surfaces is were the fun comes in. You want the diff to do its intended job and allow the wheels to rotate in opposite directions. The problem comes in when the car leans to one side around turns. The inside tire wants to unload or lift off the ground. Now the power transfers to the wheel with less grip (the inside tire). With the proper diff setting the drive rings won't allow all the power to divert to the inside. It will offer enough resistance to transfer some of that power to the tire still on the ground. Causing good acceleration out of the corner. If your car leans a lot when hard cornering, then kind of plops down, your diff is probably too tight, or you may have too much tire traction.

Improvements: There are many tricks you can do to improve power transfer, like the lubricant you use on the diff balls inside the spur gear. A thicker lube can make a world of difference. I hope this has helped you have a better understanding how a diff works and were to begin having fun with it.
Old 2005.03.23, 05:58 PM   #2
Dracer07
MZM Master

please sticky....pics are coming soon.
Old 2005.03.23, 11:26 PM   #3
solartech
r/c user

This should be comon knowlege for ball diff users
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.23, 11:51 PM   #4
mini-z racing
Team Losi

Send a message via AIM to mini-z racing
Thats alot of words. your avatar is neat.
www racingcity com
mini-z racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.24, 06:58 PM   #5
Dracer07
MZM Master

Yea your right it should be common knowledge, to all the people who have instaled a differential already. Have you thought of the people who are beginners, thats why i made the thing. If i made it for the people who are already using the ball differential i'd call myself a dumbass. But instead of a more new user having to create a new thread and ask other people for help, I made it a little bit easier. So please mini-zracer sticky this thread. It needs it. I have a picture on the way of labeled parts of the differential. Oh ya dude, thanks for the comment about my avatar. I liked getting a thanks once in a while rather than getting a slap in the face.
Thanks
Dracer07
Old 2005.03.24, 08:13 PM   #6
Dracer07
MZM Master

Here is the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpm_dmmz108t_bu-2.jpg (28.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 2005.03.25, 11:31 AM   #7
trgl

WOW thanks that help a lot. You do need a special wrench to tighten it right?
trgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.25, 10:31 PM   #8
Dracer07
MZM Master

I used a socket that fit it. so it could slide down the axle shaft. If anyone has anything better please add on.
Old 2005.04.01, 10:57 AM   #9
MartyJones
.: Curtis Lowe:.

Send a message via AIM to MartyJones Send a message via Yahoo to MartyJones
Dang it. Alright i see where you tightnen the diff and have the tools. But no matter which way i turn it i can't get anything to change what gives?
MartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.04.01, 11:34 PM   #10
Dracer07
MZM Master

You have to hold all of the parts so they don't rotate. So what you get is only the nut/collar to turn (tighten).