Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Old 2011.07.05, 07:14 PM   #1
pinwc4

Version 0.66 of Flip Side Racing software available

Version 0.66 of Flip Side Racing software is now available for download. You can get it from the Flip Side Racing software project site.

This release does not have a lot of updates but does have 1 important bug fix.

New Features
  • A copy racer function was added the the edit racers screen. This provides an easy way to copy a racer to simplify sharing cars or transponders.
  • A reassign racer function was added to the statistics screen. This will allow you to reassign the race results to a different racer after the race has been completed.

Changes
  • Contact information was added to the main screen in case people have trouble contacting me.
  • The message that indicates that database optimization is occurring is now displayed during the operation instead of after the operation has completed.

Bug Fixes
  • A bug was fixed that could cause race results in the database to be linked to the wrong racer after a race had completed if there were multiple racers with the same UID in the database.

Outside of the above changes this is also the first build of the software that I have packaged from Windows 7 instead of Windows XP. I now have my own copy of Windows 7 so this will be the version of Windows tested first instead of XP.

As always I welcome any feedback.

Last edited by pinwc4; 2011.07.05 at 07:19 PM.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.17, 08:10 PM   #2
ChiMiniRc

Some usage notes. Forgive the shorthand. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

• Successful detection and upgrade prompt
• Launch
○ 25 seconds at filling race structure
○ 10 seconds and initializing main window
• Clicked reassign without a racer selected. - received prompt "please select..." - Good error checking
• Tried to reassign racer
○ After selecting "reassign racer results", I realized my name wasn't in the list
○ Switched to Edit Racers and changed my name
○ Went back to statistics and the old name "Bill" was still there.
○ Went to change racer and my new name wasn't in the list.
○ After reloading the results, it refreshed with the correct name
§ Perhaps when you switch to the statistics screen, the currently loaded Race can be refreshed?
• Outside of this refresh, I reassigned 6 racers from a recent race. A mix changing to already existing racers as well as racers I created using the copy feature, switching back and assigning to the new copied name - seems stable and a very useful feature!

• The slow down bug happened again. What was weird is before I started the race, Both START race and END race where solid black. Neither was blacked out. This was just switching out of the Race Config Screen after changing the start type (f1 to standard)
○ I tried to repeat it and I noticed that when you click START RACE fro the race config screen, both buttons are black and "start race" doesn't go gray until the countdown starts. Usually only a second (after "prepare to race audio"). Since this was the slow down bug, it sat in this state for 5 seconds, then proceeded to count down but about 3-5 second between 3 - 2 - 1 each.
○ This is however the first time I could recover without restarting the application. I just ended the race and restarted and everything was fine.

• Export racers. Is this TXT file suppose to be readable?

• Wish list
○ Ability to hit a revert button so all "racers" get enabled to their "generic" . For now, I think it is easiest to put a "*" star in front of each racer name that is the default. This is usually a car name instead of a person's name like "Ferrari FXX". Then at the start of a race day I'll just sort by name and hit enable on each of those racer accounts.
○ Sharing another usage pattern.
At the club, we race LeMans style in that multiple classes compete at once. To help separate I put a red border around the car pics running Kyosho Stock motors and a green border around car pics running PN 70t motors. That way, a person is looking to be the highest up on the race ladder Green or Red. If I made a wish, it would be split screen with one class in each window. I'm sure I'm the only one racing this way though.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 04:15 AM   #3
Racer-HH

Well, I will try to test the new version soon. But summer is offroad season and the dnanos in my cellar track are more for winter time...

@Chiminirc: you are not the only one racing LeMans style. We had a race recently and everybody is looking for the next event. We did not use FSR for that race though.
Old 2011.07.18, 03:20 PM   #4
shaggy33

hi there pinwc4, you may remember me from a few weeks ago as I had issues getting transponders to be read by the pick ups.
You kindly offered me a patch to install but never got round to doing it. I have just installed updated software above and wondered if this will help?
I have been doing race events without timing which is a bit of a pain so hope I can sort this soon.
shaggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 04:56 PM   #5
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
Some usage notes. Forgive the shorthand. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

• Successful detection and upgrade prompt
• Launch
○ 25 seconds at filling race structure
○ 10 seconds and initializing main window
Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of your database and preferences.xml file? If you could zip them up and send it I would appreciate it. I still have not figured out why your system performs so slowly, especially with how nice of a system it is. My race computer has a Pentium M (remember those, they came out 8 years ago) and does not have this delay. I do now have Windows 7 as well in a VM so I can further test in that environment (got a Technet subscription so I can test all sorts of things now).

Quote:
• Clicked reassign without a racer selected. - received prompt "please select..." - Good error checking
Gotta watch out for those sneaky people that would try to do something that causes an error...

Quote:
• Tried to reassign racer
○ After selecting "reassign racer results", I realized my name wasn't in the list
○ Switched to Edit Racers and changed my name
○ Went back to statistics and the old name "Bill" was still there.
○ Went to change racer and my new name wasn't in the list.
○ After reloading the results, it refreshed with the correct name
§ Perhaps when you switch to the statistics screen, the currently loaded Race can be refreshed?
• Outside of this refresh, I reassigned 6 racers from a recent race. A mix changing to already existing racers as well as racers I created using the copy feature, switching back and assigning to the new copied name - seems stable and a very useful feature!
Good point, it will refresh in the next release (already put the code in). From a broader perspective I am changing everything that refers to a database record to refresh when it is view as part of my work to allow other databases to be used and the event management stuff.

Quote:
• The slow down bug happened again. What was weird is before I started the race, Both START race and END race where solid black. Neither was blacked out. This was just switching out of the Race Config Screen after changing the start type (f1 to standard)
○ I tried to repeat it and I noticed that when you click START RACE fro the race config screen, both buttons are black and "start race" doesn't go gray until the countdown starts. Usually only a second (after "prepare to race audio"). Since this was the slow down bug, it sat in this state for 5 seconds, then proceeded to count down but about 3-5 second between 3 - 2 - 1 each.
○ This is however the first time I could recover without restarting the application. I just ended the race and restarted and everything was fine.
This is still a really strange one that I am unsure of the root cause. I did put in some changes for the next release to both the starting and stopping race routines that may prevent this though without knowing the root cause I am uncertain.

One question about this problem though that may or may not be related, is this only happening when using I-Lap, Kyosho IC or with both?

Quote:
• Export racers. Is this TXT file suppose to be readable?
Not really, it contains the racers picture along with their other information which is why it looks like a mess. You could edit it if you wanted though, it is just a csv file with a row for each racer. Excel would probably be the easiest way to edit the file. Import the file and tell it to use a comma for the separator.

Quote:
• Wish list
○ Ability to hit a revert button so all "racers" get enabled to their "generic" . For now, I think it is easiest to put a "*" star in front of each racer name that is the default. This is usually a car name instead of a person's name like "Ferrari FXX". Then at the start of a race day I'll just sort by name and hit enable on each of those racer accounts.
Might be able to come up with something here, especially now that you can have duplicates with only a particular one enabled. Maybe something like an extra column to select primary racers and after the race it disables the current one and reenables the primary. Still need to give this more though though as to how to cleanly integrate it. I would probably have it as an option that is not shown by default and would have to be enabled first.

Quote:
○ Sharing another usage pattern.
At the club, we race LeMans style in that multiple classes compete at once. To help separate I put a red border around the car pics running Kyosho Stock motors and a green border around car pics running PN 70t motors. That way, a person is looking to be the highest up on the race ladder Green or Red. If I made a wish, it would be split screen with one class in each window. I'm sure I'm the only one racing this way though.
I do not know anything about LeMans. For something like this would you want it to store two different race results at the end of the race with certain people in one and the remaining in another? Is it only ever 2 different groups or does that vary? Can I distinguish the groups by the class the racer as defined as being? Not sure how much work would be involved in this but I can give it some thought.
Old 2011.07.18, 05:01 PM   #6
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy33 View Post
hi there pinwc4, you may remember me from a few weeks ago as I had issues getting transponders to be read by the pick ups.
You kindly offered me a patch to install but never got round to doing it. I have just installed updated software above and wondered if this will help?
I have been doing race events without timing which is a bit of a pain so hope I can sort this soon.
If this was the one in regards to Giro-Z then no the changes were not included. Typically for patches like that I wait for feedback from the person I sent it to before including them in the main code as it is always possible that it makes something worse instead of better and I do not want to break things for other people that may already be working.

But in this case the change I was thinking of making should be safe to apply to the main code base and I can include it in the next release.

Also even though you upgraded you could still try the patch if you are having trouble with the Giro-Z still.

One question I did have that you may have already answered is does the Zround software work fine?
Old 2011.07.18, 05:03 PM   #7
shaggy33

I would be only to happy to do this but need to know how??? My it skills are not great
shaggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 09:13 PM   #8
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy33 View Post
I would be only to happy to do this but need to know how??? My it skills are not great
If you download the zip file from the link I gave you all you need to do is open the file by double clicking on it and then copy the files out of that to wherever you install the Flip Side Racing software.

If you are not sure where that is or how to find it do not worry about it. I will make an installer in a couple of days which is easier to do.
Old 2011.07.18, 10:09 PM   #9
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
Might be able to come up with something here, especially now that you can have duplicates with only a particular one enabled. Maybe something like an extra column to select primary racers and after the race it disables the current one and reenables the primary. Still need to give this more though though as to how to cleanly integrate it. I would probably have it as an option that is not shown by default and would have to be enabled first.
I would say move this down the priority list for me. Now that I've done the "generic" racers with a "*" in the front. All I have to do is sort by name and go down the list enabling those. This is easy to do and gives me exactly what I need.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote