Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Old 2007.03.25, 11:02 PM   #1
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
Pro-Pulse Pro-B100 1/18th Scale Buggy Review

There has been lots of hype about these little buggies....so I figured I would pick one up just to check it against the competition.
Went by my local RS only to find that the standard $99.00 price quoted on the web was in fact incorrect, our RS had them on sale at $49.00 so I went home with a new Pro-Pulse Pro-B100 Buggy under my arm.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

First I checked the web sources and found that the Pro-Pulse buggy and truck price out at $99.00 through your local RS store or on-line. There are soon to be a fair line of optional and up-grade parts available.
The packaging is very attractive and the system is well mounted inside the box. But we didn't plunk down our money for a pretty box....so let's open it up and take a look....
To me this buggy looks to be a 85% clone of the associated RC18B, the top-plate looks a bit different, and the servo-saver and steering arms are slightly different, it does look like most all of the aftermarket hop-up and Associated replacement parts should fit with little problem (things like arms, hubs, shocks, towers, ect ect).
Oh look a little piece of paper that lets us know that the kit is NOT a RS product but is made by Megetech (a name most of us has at least heard of).
The overall build is very clean and looks to be of good quality, this may well be the very first "Hobby-Grade" R/C sold through RS.
So far I am impressed.

A CLOSER INSPECTION OF THE CONTENTS

Now lets take a little closer look at what we actually get for the money....
We are all used to getting cheap RTR kits with plastic bushings, worthless hard compound tires, a stock motor that couldn't rev high enough to spin the tires, and radio transmitter that was designed to fit a toddling infants hand....is that what we are going to get here?

NO WAY!!!
The list of things you get in this set is long, we will start off with a full set of 15 ball bearings, a set of oil filled shocks (they do come dry in the set, I guess the actual oil is an option, but they are still much smoother than any of the stock spring only boinger shocks found on most RTR sets), an aluminum finned motor mount, aluminum center drive shaft, nice soft pinned tires pre-glued to the rims WITH foam inserts, Dual ball diffs, a lexan body that is very nice with a decent paint job (at least on the buggy, however the truck body is hideous and should be thrown out and replaced right away..), SEPERATE electrical componets....YEAH! no more all-in-one units...a standard three wire servo...three channel FM receiver....programable ESC (programable in the fact that you can set it to either street or track which internally adjusts the the throw of the throttle (now what that means exactly I don't know, haven't had the time to check everything yet, but looks promising)....and finally a FM transmitter with steering and throttle trim and steering dual rate adjustments...and it fits in my fully developed adult male hand!, These are all standard on the Pro-Pulse B100 Buggy........hhhmmmmm Associated didn't include any of those with the base RTR RC18B set!?!?

(one note: the Pulse buggy does NOT come with a battery or charger, those are purchased seperately)

LETS BURN RUBBER

OK, got a 1200 7.2 sport pack all charged, got batts in the transmitter, lets go burn some rubber (if this cheapy clone has the guts)

I hit the throttle and my eyes lit up like a 7 year old boy on Christmas morning.....this thing had guts! Big flaming gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts!
I have never seen a RTR kit of any scale that had as much punch and speed right out of the box....AMAZING!
I have two buddies who both own RC18s one truck, one buggy, both were jaw dropped by this little buggies speed, torque, and handling!
This buggy handles very well in it's stock form....a little tuning and it will be a dream to drive. I spent the first half the first pack just drifting around the small dirt patch out beside the house (I think there may be a 1/18th dirt track going in there later this month when it dries up a little)

OVERALL OPINION

Is this thing worth the $49.00 I spent on it? WITHOUT A DOUBT!
Is this thing worth the regular $99.00 price? Yes considering the quality of the build, the availability of aftermarket parts and options AND all the extras that you get in the kit I would say it is a very good value for an entry level 1/18th scale AWD buggy. It's about $50-$60 less than the Associated RC18B/T and if you add in the costs of all the goodies (oil shocks, bearings, dual ball diffs ect) then it becomes a great value!

WANT SOME PICS?

Basic Pro-B100 chassis, near clone of the Associated RC18B, but this has added goodies!

Close up of rear hub, bearings, aluminum motor mount

Comparison of Pro-B100 front and RC18T front, shows similarities and slight differences

Comparison of Pro-B100 rear and RC18T rear, shows similarities and slight differences

Attractive body work on finished product....who wants to race?

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 08:02 PM   #2
vzereeys

Great review.
$49?! Get me one!

Do you think it could handle a brushless set up?

Last edited by vzereeys; 2007.03.26 at 08:07 PM.
vzereeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 09:35 PM   #3
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

One of the hop-ups that will be available soon is a brushless motor set-up for around $100

Check the parts and info at Pro-Pulse

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2007.03.26, 10:11 PM   #4
herman

great review...
any pics of the tx? and hopefully close ups of the electronics...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.26, 10:44 PM   #5
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Herman, your request is my command to get up and snap some pics.....I have pics of both

sorry about the shaky pics, got them in a hurry, hope this is what you needed....I am going to change the wheel on the transmitter, don't like the rubber one that came stock, I think I would rather have foam....but the trans does fit in an adult hand <NICE PLUS!>

any other questions? I will try to answer as best I can, since this car is "In Hand" this will be a progressive thread...as I learn or find more it will all get posted here....knowledge sharing is encouraged

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2007.03.26 at 11:47 PM.
Old 2007.03.28, 12:32 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Thanks for the review DBR... I am going to stop by my local RS and check out their pricing... if I can find one for ~75... im definitely going to pick one up. I will however switch the RX for a 27AM so I can use either my MX-A or 2PL...

Will Mini-T rear wheels work?

On most of my 1/18 offroad cars I have switched over to 1/10 touring wheels with Tamiya Rally tires (last VERY long, and has GREAT bite on the gravel type surface I run on)... which was an easy switch for the Vendetta since it uses standard 1/10 hex adapters on its wheels... I mainly did the switch to increase the ride height and prevent bottoming out...

Is the spur gear enclosed? get jammed by gravel easily? can you get an undershot of the chassis?

Thanks alot for this review. I have seen a few, but they just get bashed about it being RS crap. I am all for RS releasing a HOBBY grade RC. I have owned a few in the past, and all but one (got it for a b-day present, mother chose it out when I was 8) have treated me well and made me feel that I got my moneys worth. Of course that was before I knew anything about Hobby grade RC's.

I mainly use my 1/18 stuff for bashing, and racing in the park for fun with dots... Durability, performance and cost are my main points... This would also make a GREAT car for a spec class, since it is VERY cheap to get, and easily available. I am going to test one, then sell it to a friend for cheap. He has been interested in getting another RC (has an old RS truck) but is very scared of the $400 pricetag that each of my cars have... and he sees how often I break them (arms, turnbuckles, hubs). Of course his car wont have a brushless motor like my Vendetta :P

My most durable car is my 1/10 Tamiya Blazing Star. I love it... I have never broken anything on it, however I have lost a few hinge screws which put it out of commission for a little while. Which is the main selling point that I can tell my friends. The parts are cheap, and available less than a 20 minute walk away, either uptown or downtown... I just wonder if they will carrry any good 2/3A packs. Does this use a standard 6cell shotgun pack, or side by side pack? I have quite a few shotgun packs, but only 1 side by side...
Old 2007.03.28, 09:48 PM   #7
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Update and answers for EMU

The spur is about the same as the RC18 as far as enclosure, could always be sealed better.
Shot-gun batt packs do fit great, side-bys should fit also but I don't have any to test.
I too am going to switch out to a 27AM reciever (have lots of crystals and radios for that.
RC18 shock towers will not fit the PP without also changing the gear case covers.....oh well...RS has towers (the PP uses the same tower front and rear and same on buggy or truck, only body munts used are different, when you buy the replacement set you get two towers and all the body mounts for $10)
This car is NOT built with toy grade plastic but rather a nice soft and tough nylon similar to that used by RPM parts.
RC18 or MiniT rear wheels all fit fine, so you're not stuck with the overpriced RS stuff there.
Check the E-Bay for deals less than the RS price, I have seen them there for about $70

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2007.03.28, 10:17 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

I checked out my local RS, and they only had one Truck, but lots of parts...

From what I could see, it looks pretty nice. I just wouldnt use their chargers/battery packs... The Team Losi Peak charger (~1hr) would be a better charger (RS charger is around 10hr), and the IB1400 packs would be better batteries. I have a DTX Digi Pulse charger and 2 Losi Peak chargers... I noticed that the PP batteries are a 2x2+2x1... I have no clue why they layed them out like that...

The dual motor setup does intrigue me, as I have not used dual motors before...

Do you know if there are any differences between the buggy and truck besides the bodies/wheels? I wish they had both at my local RS for me to look at

I may pick one up next week... although I do have a few Trinity Blade and Itsy Bitsy Spider chassis/parts that I have to setup as well... its time to get the outdoor stuff running again
Old 2007.03.28, 10:26 PM   #9
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

the only difference between the buggy and truck is the wheel/tire and body, everything else is identical...I am impressed with the little car, the more I look the more I like, I really expected much much less

I use a 1200 shot-gun stick pack (was a freebie from RCM) and works great and I may end up with some 2600 AA packs. Might have to rework the hold down strap but the extra capacity will give extra run time

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2007.03.28 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2007.03.28, 10:38 PM   #10
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

My Pro-Pulse Pro B-100 Buggy with Losi Mini-T chrome disc wheels and Losi Mini-Smasher tires....almost a truggy now.

Quote:
From what I could see, it looks pretty nice. I just wouldnt use their chargers/battery packs... I noticed that the PP batteries are a 2x2+2x1... I have no clue why they layed them out like that...
I believe the battery pack is configured that way to allow various placements of items in the chassis such as dual motors, recievers ect ect for weight bias and balance..

The dual motor setup is kinda cool, you won't get much more speed but you will get a load of bottom end torque (the car has plenty already!) Wanna make a 4X4 MT Crawler?!?!?!

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2007.03.28 at 10:45 PM.
Old 2007.03.28, 10:50 PM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

Looks great with those tires, not a big fan of chrome wheels, but it does look good.

About the AA batteries, you may have issues with the weight distribution... But the extra capacity may come in handy for endurance bashing :P
Old 2007.03.28, 11:07 PM   #12
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

yeah but chrome was all they had in stock at my lhs....the AA's I can always run a saddle pack like thier stock batt 4 on the one side and 2 on the other

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2007.03.28, 11:10 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

OR..... you could use 2 motors on one side to balance it out

edit: this thread should help out alot with parts that are compatable with the PP
http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45437

Last edited by EMU; 2007.03.29 at 12:08 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.30, 11:21 PM   #14
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

....just picked up a Losi Mini-Baja Bug body for this little ripper, as soon as the paint is dry and I get it mounted I'll post you all some pics (probably tomorrow)

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2007.03.31, 11:41 AM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

Picked up a ProPulse buggy yesterday on my lunch break... last one the RS around my job had. Cost ~109 after tax. I just bought the RTR, nothing else. After checking out the feel of the chassis, it looks better than I expected. Plastic feels similar in consistancy as my Vendetta... and I like that the front and rear arms are the same, so you dont need to double up on parts for the arms.

After I got out of work I rushed home to start digging my 2/3A batteries and charger out. I noticed that the PP uses a different battery plug than all of my batteries... not a problem. I had an extra lead with the micro connector. So I soldered it on... I continued inspecting all the fine details of the car, and noticed out of factory that they have the wheels very tight, and they bind a little... Pulled out my MR01 wheelnut tool and loosened each wheel about 1/8 of a rotation... much easier to rotate the wheels now, and the same amount of slop.

After doing that I was ready to put on the wing. So I started looking for it... I searched the entire box and all packaging, and cant find it. Checked my Vendetta wing for size since I havent seen any wings at RS for the PP, but the holes are too wide for the PP (and the wing is glued onto the Vendetta, the mount broke during a ~50mph tumble).

By that time I had finished charging a set of IB1200... and out my IB1400 stick in the charger and was ready to go out to test the car. I grabbed the PP transmitter and started threading the Antenna in to the TX... and it wouldnt thread in.. I had to push the antenna sideways as I inserted it to get it down to where the threads are... Not really a problem. I opened the bottom of the transmitter to put batteries in... and there were already batteries. Thats wierd... then I looked at the crystal in the car and the TX... #1 in TX and #2 in car!!! WHAT. RS was closed by that time, and in the packaging there were 2 orange pieces of paper that said if there were problems with the car to call 1-888-MEGA-911... before going to RS about the product. the hours on it were 9:30-4:30... too late to do that...

Started pulling out all my stuff. found my Airtronics 27mhz RX that came with my MX-A. Its the exact same size as the RX on the PP... great. This should work perfectly With a huge grin on my face, I pop off the zipties that hold the RX in place on top of the servo tape. pull the antenna out of my orange dubro tube... pull off the RX and put my Airtronics RX on there with my last piece of servo tape, and use a ziptie to hold it the same way the stock one was on there. I started plugging in the ESC... no go! wouldnt fit in the RX plug, great!!! pulled out a Futaba MC330R ESC... pulled off the stock one, and put the futaba in its place. It is a little bigger, but still fits under the body without a problem. I go to plug in the servo, oops... should have checked that before going through the hassle of changing the ESC. Doesnt fit.

Dug through my RC stuff to try to find a micro servo that would work... the only thing that I had was a Mini-T stock servo... but I did find another RX. Dont know the brand, but the plugs work and all systems are go. This RX is about double the size of the stock and Airtronics and bigger than all of my Futaba RX's, and wont fit under the body if mounted the proper way. On top of that, I was out of servo tape and zip ties at this point. So Electrical tape it is. If I put it on an angle between the servo and motor, it fits under the body well.

I just finished charging my third battery at this point (discharge 2A/charge at 2.5A)... So I know ill get some good runs in to see how this thing handles, and what I need to adjust to make it drive well on the surface that I plan to abuse it on. My phone rings... some friends that I havent seen in about 10 years are around catching up... why tonight!!! I tell them ill see them in about 10 minutes. They are meeting right where I am planning to run the car, which was our old hang out when we were in HS. As I get out there, they decide that we should go to a bar... so I dont even get to test out the car.

I just woke up, and I have to leave to go to my mini-z races in a little while, since it takes about 2.5hrs to commute... so I doubt that I will be able to test it today... unless I go out right now... ehh... ill be right back

From the looks if it, I got a car that was returned, and didnt get the wing or correct crystals... oh well... gotta make it work somehow, and email Megatech later to see about getting my wing...

I just ran it for 2 battery packs. The car reminds me of how my Vendetta felt when I first got it. Speed is good, acceleration is good, handling is good (need to loosen rear diff a little to get more steering). Overall I would say it is worth the money spent. Out of the box I think it would give a stock Vendetta a good run. I just wouldnt use the PP batteries/charger. For the price that you would get a battery/charger pack, you could get the Team Losi Peak charger and an Intellect pack which I would think would outperform the PP packs. My runtime was around 10-15 minutes, and the motor gets hot. I think I may have to try one of my Trinity modified motors in there to see how long it will run.

Time to pack for my races, looks like I wont have any practice time at the track... but I just had to test out the PP, and it has been better than what I expected out of it. Despite the somewhat open gearbox, I didnt get anything that jammed... just a couple noisy pebbles. When I used to setup a track I used to use my 1/10 Tamiya to clear the track line with a battery pack or two... after that running, the 1/18 cars run much better on it since the larger rocks are not on the main line. If you push too far off the line, it gets rough though :P

Last edited by EMU; 2007.03.31 at 12:40 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote