Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.10.10, 08:36 PM   #61
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

ok the only place i could find a set of rules were on an atomic mods page.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 08:53 PM   #62
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Keeping this short from my phone.
What body would you want to run EMU?
With the exception of some of the R246 bodies, I don't know of any from the last 5 years or so that didn't come with wheels.
If you purchase an asc, or a kit with a body, it'll come with the wheels you'd need to run.
Allowing the option to run different wheels would offer up a significant advantage to some one like me who has collected them for 5 years, and allowing after market wheels would mean some could feel the need to invest outside the initial purchase to be competitive.
I think the closer we keep it to "box stock", the more appealing it'll be to new comers, and the closer the racing will be.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 09:01 PM   #63
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
With the exception of some of the R246 bodies, I don't know of any from the last 5 years or so that didn't come with wheels.
If you purchase an asc, or a kit with a body, it'll come with the wheels you'd need to run.
Allowing the option to run different wheels would offer up a significant advantage to some one like me who has collected them for 5 years, and allowing after market wheels would mean some could feel the need to invest outside the initial purchase to be competitive.
I think the closer we keep it to "box stock", the more appealing it'll be to new comers, and the closer the racing will be.
In the spirit of box stock you even have to run plastic wheel nuts....
I just bought a new mr03 for the box stock class....It runs awesome
the only thing I had happen to me was I was rear ended and my motor pod came loose and I lost the mesh....

The easiest thing to remember is if it didnt come in the box....you cant use it....
what Kyosho did is they made the Cup Class which allows any Kyosho hop up on the car (Rt 261 included) except for motor.....I basically used all my MR 02 cup car parts on my MR 03 and added the motor pod and disc dampner...
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 09:02 PM   #64
kwsmith29

OK, so can I run my custom painted Sauber with stock wheels?

I understand and agree there's no need to see a bunch of White bodies.

Wade

PS, Landon, If you get a chance PM me your phone number on Tuesday afternoon. I want to bend your ear..
kwsmith29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 09:14 PM   #65
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
The r246 bodies are sold in kits with wheels so they count as autoscales in the kyosho rules. It's one of those odd cases.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 10:04 PM   #66
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsmith29 View Post

Wade

PS, Landon, If you get a chance PM me your phone number on Tuesday afternoon. I want to bend your ear..
i believe we have to run asc bodies only. no custom painted white bodies. i think you can add paint and stickers to an asc though to change it up a little.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 10:11 PM   #67
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Landon, I just read the EVENT thread... and saw that the wheels must be original from kit. Most of my ASC bodies do not have the wheels anymore. Most are cracked or lost... If we dont have the original wheels, can we replace them with a Kyosho wheel set? If so, what sets are legal? Most older wheel sets are no longer available. I am just trying to figure out what would be allowed in the event of a wheel failure at the event if no direct replacement can be found.

As far as body, I am not sure yet. I was VERY pleased with my box stock Porsche GT3R... Although, it is now tricked out in 90mm MM with a TDS... I dont really want to run the common bodies... but dont know what I can find, especially with wheels. Also, what can be done if we cannot locate the front body clip or if the clip is broken and not available?

Last edited by EMU; 2011.10.10 at 10:17 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 10:25 PM   #68
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Landon, I just read the EVENT thread... and saw that the wheels must be original from kit. Most of my ASC bodies do not have the wheels anymore. Most are cracked or lost... If we dont have the original wheels, can we replace them with a Kyosho wheel set? If so, what sets are legal? Most older wheel sets are no longer available. I am just trying to figure out what would be allowed in the event of a wheel failure at the event if no direct replacement can be found.

As far as body, I am not sure yet. I was VERY pleased with my box stock Porsche GT3R... Although, it is now tricked out in 90mm MM with a TDS... I dont really want to run the common bodies... but dont know what I can find, especially with wheels. Also, what can be done if we cannot locate the front body clip or if the clip is broken and not available?
Eugene you have great valid points for a seasoned racer. I believe in the spirit of this class it is designed for a total newbe to just buy a box stock car and be competitive. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to cost you money to run this class. The cheapest way out is to buy a new autoscale body. You get the wheels and the noseclip.... You need to find all those parts you tossed aside as well....motormount, t plate, friction spring, etc....
I saved all my parts and I gave them out at the Kyosho race....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.10, 10:31 PM   #69
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
Eugene you have great valid points for a seasoned racer. I believe in the spirit of this class it is designed for a total newbe to just buy a box stock car and be competitive. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to cost you money to run this class. The cheapest way out is to buy a new autoscale body. You get the wheels and the noseclip.... You need to find all those parts you tossed aside as well....motormount, t plate, friction spring, etc....
I saved all my parts and I gave them out at the Kyosho race....
I know... Im trying to go cheap, and looking through my bins of bodies and parts... To locate all the parts will be quite a piece of work... But I cant go down and NOT run all classes. Thats just not how I roll in the Carolina's
Old 2011.10.11, 05:54 AM   #70
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I am pretty sure I can cover you with a set of Stock GT-3 wheels for the event. They are different from the GT-1 body although they are the same style.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.11, 09:59 AM   #71
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
In the spirit of box stock you even have to run plastic wheel nuts....
I just bought a new mr03 for the box stock class....It runs awesome
the only thing I had happen to me was I was rear ended and my motor pod came loose and I lost the mesh....

The easiest thing to remember is if it didnt come in the box....you cant use it....
what Kyosho did is they made the Cup Class which allows any Kyosho hop up on the car (Rt 261 included) except for motor.....I basically used all my MR 02 cup car parts on my MR 03 and added the motor pod and disc dampner...
Yes, plastic wheel nuts! I like your wording that I highlighted in bold. Only difference is, I'd like the class to have some longevity, and the plastic bushing don't last very long. I'd like to say we run the stock tires, but there aren't that many bodies available in kit form, and the tires that come with ASCs are crap.

While I'd like to be able to offer up a Kyosho/R246 upgrade only class, I don't see it happening in the near future. Kyosho has the prerogative to sell their own stuff. I am going to be a full line store, and in my other classes, I need to be able to promote Reflex, PN, ATM, Mantis, and every other brand. When I get to the point where I have 20-30 guys regularly racing, and we can afford to run 5-6 different classes, there will likely be a Kyosho Cup class. Until then, I'll stick with the Carolina Cup rules, as they are equal to all manufacturers in almost every class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsmith29 View Post

Wade

Wade, While your bodies are on par with Kyosho ASCs, most of the white bodies that you see done are not (admittedly, my white bodies are far from the quality of what I'd like to see on track in this class). I would rather see 6 slightly modified versions of the silver Sauber, then to see 6 basically white cars without any of the parts (fuel caps, exhaust pipes, etc) added on, and no trim painted. I would like to say that I can offer up some sort of judgement process to say which hand painted bodies can and can't be run, but it is much simpler to say ASC only. It'll be easier for me to not hurt peoples feelings too.

PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
The r246 bodies are sold in kits with wheels so they count as autoscales in the kyosho rules. It's one of those odd cases.
Wasn't there a line of R246 skylines (R32s if memory serves me correctly) that came as body only? I may be mistaken, but that's what I was thinking of when I made the post I believe you are referring to.

I will allow the R246 bodies that come as complete kits. The R390 for example, I know comes with a set of wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post

You bring up a lot of good points, and some that I have not thought of. With this being geared at beginners, and hopefully ASC sales, I really wasn't taking into consideration people who have lost wheels and body clips. To be honest, I am going to be buying myself either a new ARR kit, or a chassis set and ASC to run the class.

Right now, I know I will have a couple of chassis kits, as well as a couple of kits with ASCs (LM and MM, MR-02/03), but it really depends on how much Kyosho has available, and how much I can sell between now and the event. The idea is to be fully stocked, but I am just starting out, and don't have endless capital to get going It looks like the Porsche and the F430 challenge cars are readily available, so there is a high likely-hood of there being a few of those.

As far as breakages go, I have thought about that. Until I got my mantis wheels, I never ran anything but Kyosho wheels. I still prefer them to every aftermarket wheel except the new ATM S6 line, and the mantis offerings, which are pricey. At mod speeds I can see front clip and wheel breakages being some what of an issue. With box stock motors and gearing, the breakage should be quite a bit less. I will try my best to have replacement wheels and clips for the ASCs that I carry, but in all honesty, getting them could be tricky. I still don't think it'll be a problem, but I will take it case by case as it does. I've got a lot of clips and wheels in my box, and they will available to any one who needs them to keep running the class by the rules, but if no other option is available, I will have to think about it on the spot. I want this class to be fun and competitive, while be easy to get in to for beginners and veterans alike.

To go back and answer your questions more directly, I want to stick with stock stuff. If you have a wheel missing, or a breakage, do what you can to find the exact match. If I have to allow something that doesn't come with the ASC kit, it'll at least have to be from the same model of car (like you could run the with wheels that come with an '05 Calsonic Z, on a, '05 Xanavi Z), and same year, so offsets and design remain constant, but color could vary. I don't even want to loosen to this, unless it means some one who had a breakage on track, couldn't continue to compete.

It does lessen your selection of bodies, but the available bodies that can be found and purchased right now, are all that any one getting into the hobby has offered to them. You have those, plus whatever you can scrounge up from your boxes and friends in the next 3 weeks

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2011.10.11, 10:58 AM   #72
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Only difference is, I'd like the class to have some longevity, and the plastic bushing don't last very long.
Lightweight oil... before or after every day of racing.

My trip down not looking so good right now... my other commitments (both schedule and budget) are holding me up. Anyone up here in the NE have a private jet chartered for this race?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.11, 11:10 AM   #73
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Ill be sure and make hat recommendation to any one not wanting to invest in bearings I wish you were going to make it down Ed. If not the opening event, maybe time/money will permit at a later date. This is just kind of a special one, and you rank up there with the top "cool friends I've made while Mini-Z traveling", and it'll be a shame for you not to be here for this.

BTW, Eugene, I meant to say, I'm very excited that it's looking like it'll be in the cards for you! I met you along with Ed at the mushroom bowl, at what was my first major event that I traveled to, and Ill never forget your little 350Z rocking around the track! You also gave me some insight to disk damper tuning that I used every where I went until I upgraded to Tri-Shocks. It's been a pleasure to get to race with you so much the last few years, and it will truly be an honor if you make it down to run with us on this momentous occasion

I am bursting at the seems with excitement over opening this store, and kicking it off with a great event! I can't wait til November!!!

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2011.10.11, 10:44 PM   #74
herman

just saw this and... wow... congratulations hrdrvr... i wish you well on your endeavor...
it looks like it'll be a really good shop/track to hang out...

i too am a believer in a box stock class, and would love to see how it goes (pls post pics/vids when you get the time)...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.11, 11:01 PM   #75
herman

Quote:
Just for clarification sake, the rules for the Kyosho stock class are somewhat based off of their summer shoot out rules. I want to have a class where some one can buy a kit, and race competetively. Below is a quote from the R241 thread, that I have modified to more reflect exactly what I want to see in the class. I tried my best to change these rulings to a format that more follows suit with the Carolina Cup rules, as most of the attendees at this race are familiar with those rules, and that format.

KYOSHO STOCK (Featured Class)
Open to Kyosho MR-015, MR-02, & MR-03 Mini-Z Chassis with original kit motor. Chassis can be any configuration including LM. Motor mount, Body, and wheels must match those that came on original kit. (i.e. No mix and match wheels and offsets, No LM pods in 98mm.)

• No chassis or body modification allowed (exception hole may be drilled in rear deck lid of Ferrari F355 to allow for damper)

The only Kyosho option parts allowed are the following:
• Any Rubber tire
• Ball Bearings

Now to further clarify, you can adjust the suspension, and tinkering with the stock parts is allowed. You can move/remove shims, You can sand your LM disks and damper plates. You can add damping oils and greases wherever you see fit, the diff included. You can sand/wax/polish your king pins, but you must use the ones from the kit you are running. You must run it the way it was meant to be run (ie. You cannot run three stock top shocks in a tri-shock configuration).

Stock (and equivilent) replacements are allowed if you are to break something. The clear and colored chassis parts are allowed.

You may NOT change springs, or T/H-plates. You may NOT run anything other than the gearing that comes within the kit. You may NOT run anything other then the Kyosho Stock motor. You may NOT run hop-up parts from the "Cup" or other special edition kits.
saw the rules above and have a couple of questions/clarifications...

-from the above i guess that chassis lightening is out of the question...

-for the purpose of easy identification (if two drivers are using the same model of car) will stickers, decals (i.e. waterslide decals) be allowed?
or in general, will stickers, decals be allowed?

-it states that you can move/remove shims... can you add shims (kyosho or non kyosho shims)? to achieve the effect of lowering the
body?

-it states that you may not change springs, but you can adjust suspension... would you be allowed to do the following:
stretch / compress the stock spring
or be allowed to cut the stock springs
or mix stock springs mr01 mr02 mr03?

-don't know if stock is fast enough, but will you be allowing drivers to have tire tape?

thanks again... and more power...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote