Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.02.13, 02:55 PM   #1
aNameUser

A lot of beginner questions

Hello to everyone!

I have been thinking to get myself a mini-z. However, I am full of questions and things that require confirmation.

1. I don't think there is any existing racing activity in my area, so I am open for other mini scale options as well. Any recommendations for alternatives, something that has good performance to cost ratio? I am aware of existence of Atomic and also Losi seems to have 1/24 micro brushless sct, but I don't know how they perform compared to mini-z.

2. If I get mini-z, there seems to be 3 (2WD) options: mr-03 sports, mr-03 sports II, and mr-03VE PRO MM2. What is different between sports and sports II, except the gyro-port?

3. In aim of trying to save money, should I get RTR sports model and upgrade it to brushless or go with the VE PRO -build? Basically the question probably should be, do I pay for anything I don't really need when getting the VE PRO -model?

4. Assume I get the mr-03VE PRO, the cheap transmitter option is Perfex KT-19. How it is different from KT-18 model? I know that it does not enable one to benefit from the "16 times faster than the previous ASF 2.4GHz system", but the other transmitter options I am aware of are simply way out of my price range. Assuming the brushless motor of VE PRO is too much for me to handle, there is an option in the KT-19 transmitter to limit the maximum speed of the car?

5. I was thinking to build myself a small track also. Mini-z tracks are made of some sort of EVA foam? It seems to be a lot cheaper without the puzzle structure. Any ideas of how to make the seams smooth? Duct tape would be too slippery? Maybe on the other side? This EVA foam seems like a good material to use to make the borders for the track also. Would 2 sided tape be strong enough to keep the pieces in place? Any suggestions for a cheap method or a system for measuring lap times for a single car?

Man, that is a lot of questions.
aNameUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.13, 03:54 PM   #2
Mike Keely

1) You can get Mini-z's to handle as well as a 1/12th scale car with not a lot of extras. I have drove the small Losi SCT before and they ran fine. There are also Mini-Z's for off road use. Not sure how to tell you one is better then the other. Mini-z's need a clean track if you use rubber tires. There are also foam tires that work well on carpet.

2)2. If I get mini-z, there seems to be 3 (2WD) options: mr-03 sports(this was the first version), mr-03 sports II (same as the first version but you can plug the gyro into it), and mr-03VE ( you can use the KT-18 radio with tis version), and the MR03VE PRO MM2( this one you need to have the MX-6 radio to run this one). What is different between sports and sports II, except the gyro-port (correct)?

The Sports model have issues with static electricity or something like that. You can be running them and the car will just shut off. When it shuts off you need to turn the switch on the car off and then turn the car back on to get it to start running again.

3)Just running by yourself you will not need to spend the extra money for the pro car and then need to buy the $300 radio you will need to run that pro car.

4)The KT-18 runs the MR03VE regular car. The KT-19 runs the sport model cars. The MR03VE pro you need the $300 MX-6 radio to run it.

5) I think the best option is to run a very low nap carpet and run foam tires. With the off road Mini-z's you could run on carpet and add some jumps. Hope this helps.
Old 2017.02.13, 05:09 PM   #3
aNameUser

Thanks, that cleared things out a lot.

Are there any practical differences between KT-18 (AFS) and KT-19 (HFS) transmitters? If MR-03VE MM + KT-18 is compared to MR-03 Sports II + KT-19, does it have any downsides?
Old 2017.02.13, 05:35 PM   #4
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNameUser View Post
Thanks, that cleared things out a lot.

Are there any practical differences between KT-18 (AFS) and KT-19 (HFS) transmitters? If MR-03VE MM + KT-18 is compared to MR-03 Sports II + KT-19, does it have any downsides?
Yeah the downside is the KT-19 is terrible. It has very sloppy.

The KT-18 is better and feels better but not as good as the more expensive radios that have a lot more adjustments.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.14, 04:05 AM   #5
aNameUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keely View Post
4)The MR03VE pro you need the $300 MX-6 radio to run it.
Posting this just in case some other newbie ends up reading this thread. This seems to be incorrect according to the manual p.13-14. (http://kyosho.fi/pdf/32782_MR03VE_PRO_MM2_IM.pdf) KT-18 (and EX-5UR) can also be used.

(Still thanks for all the other info, really appreciated! )
Old 2017.02.14, 06:28 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNameUser View Post
Posting this just in case some other newbie ends up reading this thread. This seems to be incorrect according to the manual p.13-14. (http://kyosho.fi/pdf/32782_MR03VE_PRO_MM2_IM.pdf) KT-18 (and EX-5UR) can also be used.

(Still thanks for all the other info, really appreciated! )
It's not factually incorrect, just not the whole story. You need an MHS radio (EX-6) to operate the MR-03VE Pro in MHS mode. The chassis will operate on the KT-18 and EX-5UR, EX-10 in ASF mode. This is the beauty of the Pro series, it's backwards compatible and can be run in ASF mode until such time you desire to upgrade to something with MHS mode.

See the sticky threads HERE for transmitters.

Last edited by arch2b; 2017.02.14 at 06:42 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.14, 08:58 AM   #7
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I believe the brushless options would be overkill for your application. I don't have any first hand experience with the Sports series, but have seen them in action and they should suit your needs. Another option is to get an ASF MR-03. If you get the ReadySet it comes with a KT-18, or just get the Body/Chassis set and KT-18 separately. You get better electronics with ASF and apparently a slightly better radio, for an extra $40. Plus you have the option to upgrade the radio later if you choose.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Traveler; 2017.02.14 at 09:07 AM.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.14, 09:22 AM   #8
byebye

To add to more confusion if you buy the EX-II(looks like the EX-6) it only works with the MHS Mini-z but not the ASF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
It's not factually incorrect, just not the whole story. You need an MHS radio (EX-6) to operate the MR-03VE Pro in MHS mode. The chassis will operate on the KT-18 and EX-5UR, EX-10 in ASF mode. This is the beauty of the Pro series, it's backwards compatible and can be run in ASF mode until such time you desire to upgrade to something with MHS mode.

See the sticky threads HERE for transmitters.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.14, 11:18 AM   #9
arch2b

i'm not sure why anyone would be buying the EX-2 though.
Old 2017.02.16, 08:53 AM   #10
aNameUser

This transmitter/controller thing made me look into Atomic AMZ 2WD. What downsides - if any - does it have compared to Mini-Z? It is a lot cheaper, looks like a quality build, and so far I have not found anything really bad written about it.
Old 2017.02.16, 12:29 PM   #11
arch2b

i have yet to drive one that has steering as good as a mini-z. in my limited experience with aftermarket platforms, the GLA is the closest in terms of quality and steering precision, feel to the mini-z steering thus why i bought one of those vs. anything else. This may be attributed to the servo used as they both use gogo lap however GLA i believe claims to have the most current improved version.

I also have a suspicion that by the time you add on all the recommended upgrades to the base cost of the AMR (2wd) its going to put you closer to everything else.
Old 2017.03.07, 07:56 PM   #12
herman

This is just to confirm that you will be able to use the mr03ve pro and mr03 ve pro mm2 with the Kt18... (I'm currently using this set up)

the only difference between the mr03ve pro and mr03 ve pro mm2 is the newly redesigned mm2 motor mount... this sadly reduces body choices that you can use on the mr03 ve mm2 as there will be clearance issues between the center shock and bodies having low rooflines and/or small canopies...

My suggestion would be to purchase the mr03 and kt18 combo, then choose an autoscale body you like. Or try to get it second hand from the for sale section or eBay...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by herman; 2017.03.07 at 08:04 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote