Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.09.22, 04:26 PM   #1
Vi5i
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to Vi5i
Traction Roll--- ACK!

Hey guys..

So far my set up goes as

Front Kyosho anti roll bar (with hardest setting)
Kyosho 2degree camber
Powerline toe in bar
Powerline yellow front springs(hardest ones btw)
Powerline front aluminum bulkhead
Megatech rear center oil shock (soft spring)
Powerline rear side roll dampers(yellow spring-hardest ones)
Kyosho carbon fiber h bar(medium)
Megatech rear ball diff
Megatech motor mount (low)
Duratrax ball bearings

Well i was at the local track this weekend and managed to come out on top.. But in the practice rounds i started off with soft kyosho slicks (30shore i believe) and i was traction rolling on almost every turn.. So i put the stock tires back on and while i didnt roll over, it had a lot less grip. I managed to turn the most laps this way though.
I am going to purchase some new tires and wheels from my hobby shop. Just need some help. I am definitely going wide in the rear. Maybe front in a couple races. My question is since i was traction rolling with soft 8.5 mm tires it would be better to get a bit harder compound wider tires so i dont roll. What are your suggestions? BTW keep in mind that my hobby shop only has kyosho tires and wheels..

also the carpet that the track uses is indoor/outdoor carpet.

thx guys
Vi5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.22, 10:11 PM   #2
herman

try using stock tires up in front... and the softer compound tires in the rear... that way the rear will still have grip while pushing the front tires on turns... having softer compound tires all around will have even the fronts griping while you turn causing your car to roll, because of too much traction...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.22, 10:50 PM   #3
DOHCrazy

Send a message via ICQ to DOHCrazy Send a message via AIM to DOHCrazy Send a message via Yahoo to DOHCrazy
yay this helped me out too!
DOHCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.23, 07:45 AM   #4
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Traction Rolls

Replace that medium H-Plate with a hard one, or ideally switch to the CF O-Plate on sale at the Mini-ZRacer.com Shop
I have one of these on my CLK and I raced on carpet using foam tires.
Oh, I did traction roll every now and then - when I was overdriving.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.17, 03:16 PM   #5
lightfighter
MINI-Z SOLDIER

Complain to track guys that the surface is unrealistic and they should find something that allows a little give!!!!

They even have dirt on that new NEXTURF!!!!

Just keep it real baby
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.17, 09:24 PM   #6
jeffrey
undisputed

Send a message via AIM to jeffrey
Vi5i what body are you using!

try the red front springs and steel kingpins also more weight on the front with the soft tires!

I DON'T NEED A FAST MOTOR TO GO FAST!
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.17, 10:04 PM   #7
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

have you considered lowering the car? i assume you haven't since it's not mentioned. with a lowered chassis comes lower center of gravity. i have the antiroll set as well and have yet to roll my car with the added effects of a lowered chassis.

you can accomplish this by replacing the rear suspension spacer (that triangle piece) with the much thinner rectangular spacer included with the CF set. that'll lower the rear end. The front end can be dropped by adding washers (better still a small slot car wheel retainer) under both knuckle arms to lower by the same amount as the rear. softer springs would have to be used due to added compression. i use stock in mine but that's left to experiment and driving style. trust me, with this your chances of rolling will be next to none.

as for wider tires in front, that's left to experiment too. careful you don't end up with fender rubbing like i did cause it'll hinder your ability to turn. i have the D2 mercedes body and trying a wider offset in the front was a big no no. a risk of course with a lowered chassis.

i would agree with Herman on using softer compounds only for the rear. too much front traction may lead to rolling and oversteer.

lastly i would recommend a body that uses the longest wheelbase adjustment. the mercedes, NSX, and skyline (i think) require the longest wheelbases.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.10.17 at 10:16 PM.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.17, 10:52 PM   #8
herman

vi5i...

so how's your car doin?... lots of advice here would indeed help against traction roll...
Old 2002.10.17, 10:53 PM   #9
herman

"as for wider tires in front, that's left to experiment too. careful you don't end up with fender rubbing like i did cause it'll hinder your ability to turn. i have the D2 mercedes body and trying a wider offset in the front was a big no no. a risk of course with a lowered chassis. " - by west.f1

actually i've got the clk body too... i did an experiment, trying wider clk rims in the front... needless to say i was running all wide rims... didn't like it at first... but now i just love it... never experienced any rubbing... i don't know if it's because i haven't lowered the car or i dremmeled the underside previously (to prevent any fender rubbing as west.f1 mentioned)... or a combination of the two... one thing is certain... it took me quite a while to learn to like that set up...
Old 2002.10.19, 10:03 PM   #10
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

'i don't know if it's because i haven't lowered the car or i dremmeled the underside previously (to prevent any fender rubbing ) or a combination of the two' by herman

fender rubbing had all to do with dropping the chassis because the front wheels were raised to get the lowered effect. fender rubbing was initially helped by not widening the offset of the stock dtm rims.

this evening i got a set of (-2 deg.) camber knuckles which happened to cause the fender rubbing all over again. doing what herman did i went ahead and dremmeled beneath the fender wells which took care of the problem. makes me wonder why i didn't do that before. thanks herm.

so with a little help of a dremmel tool, the benefits of a lowered chassis 'can' be without risks: lower center of gravity, improved handling, improved anti-roll, the look of a 'slammed' body

can't go wrong with these.

West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.19, 11:07 PM   #11
jeffrey
undisputed

I have the same setup up front with West.F1, same body too!

1 or 2mm drop

I also use the O-plate from the shop!

Old 2002.10.20, 09:12 AM   #12
herman

your welcome westf1...

to further help with any understeer... try to put them wide rear clk rims on the front (that is if you have any extra ones) that way you'll be running all wide rims... if you still have any understeer, take out the anti rol bar in front and put the springs right on the kingpin... if you still have any understeer try getting the knuckles... i'm using the above method with 3* camber... the car really handles neat around the corners... oh yeah it will take a while for you to lean how to drive this set up... so patience is the key...

Last edited by herman; 2002.10.20 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2002.10.20, 05:49 PM   #13
jeffrey
undisputed

Damn I'm still learn to drive my current setup!

2 degree camber
anti roll bar removed
soft springs
low fiction kingpins

I a preety good driver though!

Old 2002.10.20, 07:03 PM   #14
Vi5i
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to Vi5i
Hey guys..

I got a black mercedes body like 2 weeks ago and i love it. I am now running the wide silver wheels in front and back with 30 degree soft wide tires. i changed to the red springs in the front too which are a bit softer than the yellows(Powerline springs). I also felt that the yellow side anti roll damper springs were too stiff so i went back to the green medium springs. I also took of the center damper and switched the Hard carbon h plate with the medium. And i took out the toe in bar.

The car it totally different now. I placed 1st in all the races that i was in. I did roll like 3 times but it was not as bad as before.

BTW it is lowered in the back but for some reason i havent lowered it in the front.. DOH i will have to try that..

thx guys
Vi5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.20, 07:24 PM   #15
jeffrey
undisputed

glad to be of help!

If I did!