Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.10.23, 08:59 AM   #1
CobraGeek

Aluminum Sevo Case?

Soon after replacing the shock mounts with aluminum units I broke the servo case. The same kind of hit that took out the shock mount at the point of the upper suspension rod, this time took out the frount connection of the suspension rod which is part of the servo case.

Does anyone make an aluminum servo case? I've only seen Kyosho's case listed in the different shops?

BTW, has anyone tried gluing a bit of foam to the front bumper to help dampen the shock of front end hits? These have been the cause of both broken parts on my truck and I'm sure something else will go even if I can find an aluminum servo case.

Thanks! --Bret
CobraGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.23, 09:31 AM   #2
davisdavis

are u talking about mosner?
there aren't any alloy servo case at this moment, there are two ways people solve the problem you are mentioning
1) modify the uppder linkages, so that they act like a shock , of coz very stiff shocks, this way they will absorb some of the shock in an impact
2) another easier way is to get the kyosho 4.8mm milled balls, then replace the screws with longers ones, of coz u'll have to drill the holes deeper i'l tried using as long as 12 mm screws~
davisdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.23, 11:26 AM   #3
CobraGeek

Thanks Davis. Yes I'm talking about a Monster (40th anniversary edition so I get a good top speed in order to break more parts when I hit ).

Hmm... The longer screw idea isn't bad, but drilling those holes deeper sounds pretty tricky. Do you know what kind of shocks people use to replace those upper suspension rods? I like that idea and I think it would really help, but I'm not sure what I can use in this place.

Thanks! --Bret
Old 2004.10.23, 01:37 PM   #4
fetch-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGeek
Thanks Davis. Yes I'm talking about a Monster (40th anniversary edition so I get a good top speed in order to break more parts when I hit ).

Hmm... The longer screw idea isn't bad, but drilling those holes deeper sounds pretty tricky. Do you know what kind of shocks people use to replace those upper suspension rods? I like that idea and I think it would really help, but I'm not sure what I can use in this place.

Thanks! --Bret
Hi there, I was about to ask the same question whether there is a replacement alloy servo case or titanium servo gears for the mini-Z monster as this seems to be the part that takes the most hits during driving.

The suggestion about replacing the upper suspension rods is interesting (did you use the mini z shock absorbers?) I have a spare set of oil filled and may try this method as they look the same length as the suspension rods!
fetch-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.24, 09:38 PM   #5
davisdavis

i never did that mod, but i saw people in this forum did that.
i've seen someone using the stock OL shocks, but the springs are too soft, will affect proper steering.
davisdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.24, 11:43 PM   #6
Hills

Send a message via AIM to Hills
Thumbs down

check what i did, I used two yellow spring, as hard as they come, I have not broken a single thing since I did this mod. I also put in o-rings to dampen the shock if it bottoms out(not shown). The shocks are a touch to long but its not a big deal.

Hills
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock.jpg (103.3 KB, 84 views)
Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.25, 07:28 AM   #7
fetch-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills
check what i did, I used two yellow spring, as hard as they come, I have not broken a single thing since I did this mod. I also put in o-rings to dampen the shock if it bottoms out(not shown). The shocks are a touch to long but its not a big deal.

Hills
Whoa! I really need one of those alloy servo cases!
fetch-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.25, 11:04 AM   #8
CobraGeek

Hills, that is really cool. Thanks for the picture. For some reason I just assumed that the normal shocks and the suspension pieces were different sizes, but they are very, very close to the same size. I have 2 questions for you (if you don't mind):

1. Did you just use the ball screws from the original suspension pieces? (that's what it looks like)
2. Do you have any problems with the whole front end turning when under load of any kind because of those shocks allowing it to move? it seems like it may not be as stable as before (but the servo saver alows the steering to move easily anyway).

Thanks! --Bret (BTW, I'm assuming that's the chrome servo case, right?)
Old 2004.10.25, 11:26 AM   #9
Hills

Arrow

its the original ball ends, I have a total of 4 yellow springs, 2 on each shock. That makes it stiff enough, where it doesn't affect stability, or at least its not notable.

I forgot the front damper mount has to be raises a little for the shocks to fit, if you look close you can see the little spacer thats there. You have to use longer screws for the damper. I will post up a few more pictures when I get a minute.

Its not an alloy servo case, its just plastic chrome plated.

I have been told that you can use the back half of an overland alloy servo case. See Pht setup.

Hills
Old 2004.10.25, 11:36 AM   #10
CobraGeek

Interesting. So in order for the shocks and springs to fit underneath, you had to raise the damper mount a bit? Where did you get the longer screws for the damper mount? What did you use for a spacer?

Were you able to use the stock screws and balls for everything else?
I assume you drilled a hole through the bottom ("cup" end) of the shocks in order for them to fit to the rear mount. Or does it work to just screw in the ball screw and then "snap" the cup end over them?

I also assume these are front shocks (the rear ones are longer I believe).

Thanks for all the help! --Bret
Old 2004.10.25, 03:14 PM   #11
Hills

Arrow

take a look

Hills
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_4293 (Large).JPG (93.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_4294 (Large).JPG (107.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 2004.10.25, 03:54 PM   #12
CobraGeek

Great. Thanks for the nice close ups. It looks like you were just able to pop the cup end of the shocks over the stock ball screw thing. I did find that the stock screw fro the upper end of the shocks (replaced when I got the aluminum shock mounts) are exactly the same as the shock mount screws but longer. I should be able to rig up some spacers and washers so these will work to get the shock mount a little hgher.

Thanks for all the help. THis is a great design. I'm surprised I haven't seen more here about this idea. --Bret
Old 2004.10.26, 09:46 AM   #13
CobraGeek

I just did this mod last night (I stole the front shocks and will replace those when the new ones arive). Here's some of the tricks I did:

1. I used 1/8" flat washers for the spacers. They just fit around the posts on the main chasis. I used a whole one for the front on each side and then cut one in half to put around the back one (so there's no overlap in the middle).

2. My GPM alluminum shock mounts came with new screws (finer threads) for the shock mount points so I used the old ones to hold the shock mounts down to the main frame. (needed longer screws for this with the washer in there)

3. These screws were still too long so I used the shock spacers to space two of the screws and the brass shock ball pieces for the other two screws. This made things just right.

4. I put 2 yellow springs on each shock for a very firm setup just like Hills. Then I cut a small piece of firm foam from some scrap and used that as a bump stop in case the shock bottoms out. I think I may put in a few of the spacers that came with the spring kit to make it even more firm but I think it should be fine.

5. Leave the black ball screws from the stock suspension rods in place and just snap the shocks on to them.

It looks really good this way and very close to Hills setup (nearly identical). I need to get the replacement front shocks I ordered from the shop and then I'll be all set.

Thanks for all the help and great pictures Hills. This is definitely the setup to have! --Bret
Old 2004.11.03, 09:37 AM   #14
CobraGeek

I just got the new servo case and installed all the new parts. I did the same thing as Hills and used double yellow springs (and 3 spacers) on each shock that replaced the front suspension rods. It may allow a little more steering slop but it doesn't seem too bad.

It looks like it will work very well at keeping parts from breaking. Even before replacing the servo case I was able to run it around for hours with just a couple of threads holding in the front of one of the new shock-suspension rods. Eventually it popped out again, but it took many good hits with just a couple of threads holding it on. I think this will save many other breaks.

The only issue that I have is that the cap on the underneath side of the shocks pops off sometimes on impacts. I've been just snapping it back into place, but is there any way to make it stay? Maybe some superglue?

Thanks again Hills!