Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Beginner Questions

Old 2002.02.06, 03:31 PM   #1
jcblack
Mini-Z Novice

out of the box what should I do, or shouldn't do? + differential?

Man, these cars are small. Are there any important things to do or not to do when you get your first car? What are some common mistakes that people make?

I see that there are warnings to not let the antenna touch anything or it might short something. Any more like that?

Has anyone broken the stock h-plate? it sure looks frigile.

james

edit: Do all the cars come with a rear differential?
jcblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.06, 03:36 PM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
#1 dont run with out the body on the car.
no sand, no water.. etc etc..

more:
http://members.home.net/draconious/Mini-Z/Review.html
Old 2002.02.06, 04:09 PM   #3
Wedginator

Send a message via ICQ to Wedginator Send a message via MSN to Wedginator
yes.... there's a differential on the car... but the stock diff sucks....
Wedginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.06, 04:09 PM   #4
Russ
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Russ
also rule before #1...

ALWAYS remove the batteries when you are doing work on the car...if your antenna or anything having to do with it even brushes by the batteries or motor, or anything having to do with them, you will fry your receiver.

Just take the batteries out!!!

--------------------------------------------
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.06, 04:49 PM   #5
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

The main rule:

Race your ass off.
Ken Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.06, 09:02 PM   #6
herman

Re: out of the box what should I do, or shouldn't do? + differential?

Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
Man, these cars are small. Are there any important things to do or not to do when you get your first car? What are some common mistakes that people make?

I see that there are warnings to not let the antenna touch anything or it might short something. Any more like that?

Has anyone broken the stock h-plate? it sure looks frigile.

james

edit: Do all the cars come with a rear differential?
hi james...

well they are small... 1/28th scale to be exact... i agree with everybody saying that if you intend to work on your car, you should definitely take the batteries out...

and not that i have, but i do hear that the stock h-plate is really soft, and does tend to break. a guy at the track just got a beetle and put in a modified motor... it looked really fast...

and all cars come with a rear gear differential... some have improved the performance by adding some grease to make it run smoother and quieter.

if your not into serious racing, you can have fun as it is...

adding parts to make it perform better is a whole different story, as there are a lot of factors to consider...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.07, 07:34 PM   #7
MrMojoRisin
Mini-Z Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
also rule before #1...

ALWAYS remove the batteries when you are doing work on the car...if your antenna or anything having to do with it even brushes by the batteries or motor, or anything having to do with them, you will fry your receiver.

Just take the batteries out!!!

What if the antenna touches the outer casing for the motor? will that fry the esc/rx? What EXACTLY cant it touch(wires,motor casing,batteries,etc.)?? I am afraid my car is fried because when I am about 15 feetaway,if i dont drive and just sit there my car it seems normal,it acts up ever so often like steer where i dont want it to or give it a quick boost and spin me out. I will take it by a hobby shop sometime and make sure it is before I buy a new one.
MrMojoRisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.07, 09:08 PM   #8
Russ
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Russ
I don't know exactly what it can and can't touch. I know definately keep it away from battery terminals. Also, the motor wires. I wouldn't let it touch the motor can either, since the capacitors are using it to hold a charge, it might do something unwanted as well.

Hope your ESC is ok!! Good luck!

--------------------------------------------
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.08, 05:20 AM   #9
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
If the batteries are installed themotor can will qualify... this is because the capacitors complete the circut to the can from the motor terminals, wich are attached to the wires, wich are attached to the circut board, wich attached to the batteries, wich are connected to the foot bone, connected to the ankle bone.. eh.. oops...

any complete circut = ZAP...

Remove batteries immediatly after removing body... if you plan to dissassemble any part of the car.
Old 2002.06.04, 09:41 PM   #10
tarhe
Mini-Z Novice

sorry, this is kind of an old thread, but i didnt feel like making a new post for this little question: should i take the batteries out of the MiniZ when im not using it? or how about just when i wont be using it for extended amounts of time (four weeks)
tarhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.04, 10:24 PM   #11
Strider-

Always take it out no matter how long you aren't using it........theres always a chance of something happening.....

ie. one time i left my batteries in one of my Mini4wd (it was OFF) before i went to school..... I come back.....i feel the chassis is really warm.....look under.......AGHHHH my good chassis melted not only that but my motor fried.....and it was a good one >___<~
Strider- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.04, 10:41 PM   #12
GME0VR
Look mum.. no hands!

Re: out of the box what should I do, or shouldn't do? + differential?

Quote:
Originally posted by jcblack
*edit* Has anyone broken the stock h-plate? it sure looks frigile. *edit*
i have broken 2 stock h-plates.. BOTH have broken when i was running the rear suspension in stock condition with that triangle spacer installed.

i've said this before, but i believe that triangle spacer is responsible for the stock h-plate snapping. it doesnt allow the whole h-plate to flex, but rather is forces it to flex at the join closest to the motor pod.

i slammed a door frame at full speed and that snapped my h-plate. i've also slammed a curb.. again h-plate snapped.

servo gears are another thing to worry about.. i'd suggest getting a couple of replacement sets. the first servo gear (the one that attaches to the potentiometer and tie rod) usually loses a tooth or two... but this can be avoided by never running your mz without a body.

there are many threads on do's and dont's.. try doing a search