Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.12.08, 07:45 PM   #121
hpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz View Post
Anybody ever have your settings for a peticular model (car), for no reason loose all your settings and have totally differet settings on it. Example...TH. highpoint had at 72 and went to 100...TH. curve, went from -20 to + curve etc....ST. settings changed too. It cost me a possible win or top 3 at the recent Garden State Shootout at Majs. Till i figured out what happened , it was to late. Its a EURUS radio. I re-set the model and put my settings back in and for now its OK...........

KO or anybody???

THANKS
Yes, I have had that happen to me. I have also had a memory reset to factory settings. I am using the EX1-UR and my purchase hasn't been a pleasant one. I would lose bind intermittently and eventually got a new one after sending it and the module back multiple times. The replacement radio was working fine until a few weeks back and am know experiencing the same issues as above and losing bind whenever the radio feels like it. Unfortunately, my only recourse is to send everything back again but it being about a year old what is the point? I was even contemplating purchasing a Eurus thinking it was just the EX1-UR but now hearing this is making me scared. There has to be some reason why these radios exhibit the same problems regardless of model or older vs newer tech. If anyone asks, I did the variable resistor adjustment and I don't even think that is holding because when I go back into that setting it shows the default numbers shown and not the adjusted numbers, if that makes any sense. Good luck, but from my experience its just going to get worse.

Btw everyone at my local track said the same about somehow the radio was messed with (by one of the kids) until it happened again while the radio was put on a 10 ft high shelf after every use so it couldn't be tampered with. Then it happened to another racers radio which was newer than mine so it does happen no matter how unlikely it seems.

Last edited by hpotter; 2010.12.08 at 07:52 PM.
hpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.08, 07:48 PM   #122
yscheong

Quote:
Anybody ever have your settings for a peticular model (car), for no reason loose all your settings and have totally differet settings on it. Example...TH. highpoint had at 72 and went to 100...TH. curve, went from -20 to + curve etc....ST. settings changed too. It cost me a possible win or top 3 at the recent Garden State Shootout at Majs. Till i figured out what happened , it was to late. Its a EURUS radio. I re-set the model and put my settings back in and for now its OK...........

KO or anybody???

THANKS
I had the same problem 3 time in 3 months of usage of my eurus. 2 time on memory no. 2 and 1 time in another memory just recently. But what I do is I back up all my setting to other memory. since the eurus have more memory then old model.
yscheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.08, 07:57 PM   #123
moz

Quote:

KO or anybody???

THANKS
yes my friends had the same situation....
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.08, 07:59 PM   #124
hpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yscheong View Post
I had the same problem 3 time in 3 months of usage of my eurus. 2 time on memory no. 2 and 1 time in another memory just recently. But what I do is I back up all my setting to other memory. since the eurus have more memory then old model.
Yes, but why should you have to do that? Like I said in my case this is indicitive that the Tx will become unreliable very quickly, not what you want when you race (will it work or won't it). Also realize that when I was sending everything in to be checked I went for about a total of 2 months without a radio only to hear that the problem could not be duplicated (problem was intermittent), also not what you expect from a high end radio.
Old 2010.12.08, 08:26 PM   #125
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2010 View Post
Sounds like somebody done sabotaged you lfisminiz!!! For real though, I've never heard of Tx settings changing all by themselves. It doesn't seem too probable either, unless you accidentally swapped-over to another "Model#" and you forgot you used some of the unnamed Model#'s and changed some of the settings under those Model#'s, that the settings should be all weirded-out.
I'm thinking someone messed with your Eurus, intentionally or unintentionally...
I know for sure that i had the right model name. The settings were the same. Car was great....didnt want to mess with it..

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.08, 08:32 PM   #126
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotter View Post
Yes, I have had that happen to me. I have also had a memory reset to factory settings. I am using the EX1-UR and my purchase hasn't been a pleasant one. I would lose bind intermittently and eventually got a new one after sending it and the module back multiple times. The replacement radio was working fine until a few weeks back and am know experiencing the same issues as above and losing bind whenever the radio feels like it. Unfortunately, my only recourse is to send everything back again but it being about a year old what is the point? I was even contemplating purchasing a Eurus thinking it was just the EX1-UR but now hearing this is making me scared. There has to be some reason why these radios exhibit the same problems regardless of model or older vs newer tech. If anyone asks, I did the variable resistor adjustment and I don't even think that is holding because when I go back into that setting it shows the default numbers shown and not the adjusted numbers, if that makes any sense. Good luck, but from my experience its just going to get worse.

Btw everyone at my local track said the same about somehow the radio was messed with (by one of the kids) until it happened again while the radio was put on a 10 ft high shelf after every use so it couldn't be tampered with. Then it happened to another racers radio which was newer than mine so it does happen no matter how unlikely it seems.
Dont get me wrong, i really like the radio. Its right like my Helios but better responce and better menue lay out. So far, this is the only problem....binding has been fine. Ill see what happens. Hopefully KO will respond to this.

Old 2010.12.08, 08:34 PM   #127
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

yscheong/moz - thanks for reply. Lets hear from KO.

Old 2010.12.08, 09:25 PM   #128
Felix2010

I guess there is a problem with MODL# Settings changing on their own, I stand corrected. I would never have suspected if nobody brought this issue up on here and more than a few racers have encountered "phantom" Model# Settings. Very weird... I have not encountered this problem on either my Helios or my EX1-UR, knock on wood...

hpotter - I had the issue you described happen to me also, where the Tx would lose bind intermittently and my cars would start to Glitch bad the longer I raced them; I immediately suspected the RF901-SM ASF module though, the EX1-UR worked fine with AM/AD-Band. At first I tried many times to re-bind the Tx to all my ASF chassis', make sure there wasn't any loose connections, all that good stuff... And I just thought for the first few months the module was out that this is what everyone had to deal with - Losing bind/Weak Signal/Glitching I mean... The module I bought was one of the 1st-Batch of 901-SM ASF modules for the Helios/EX-1UR, I got it right @release.

Then a couple months later, I bought a second RF901-SM module for the hell of it. Everything from binding process to driving was Flawless. I sat on the defective module for a while before finally inquiring the best way to handle the situation. I have to say, KO Propo is great with US customer service and repairs. I sent the defective module back to KO and they confirmed that the 901-SM module PCB was defective, and replaced it. All I needed to pay for was the shipping and confirmation delivery to KO Propo America for repairs. They took care of the problem quickly and pain-free If I may suggest, contact KO Propo via their website; Make sure your your rep/someone @KO knows you are sending the module back for diagnosis of the problem/repair; Then send just the RF-901SM module (You only have 1, correct?) - Not the EX1-UR Tx - Off to KO.

***As for the phantom MODL# settings' changes*** - I have no idea why this is happening, I have not seen this for myself. Just in case, you might already know this: My common practice is to always remove one or more of the batteries from my Tx's after I'm done using them for the day. Leaving the batteries in (Or all the batteries in, so that you have a "Live" car/Tx/etc.) has always been a big No-No with all Mini-Z equipment. If you leave your batteries in your Tx, so that there is still voltage/current draw and the only thing keeping the Tx "Off" is the ON/OFF switch, may I also suggest that you remember to always remove one/all the batteries once you are through for the day. This will maximize battery life too. When the batteries are installed there's still a tiny amount of current-draw from the cells by the Tx.
Old 2010.12.08, 09:48 PM   #129
hpotter

Felix2010, KO did what they had to fix the problem with the original equipment it was just that I was upset buying a radio and not being able to run because of sending it in multiple times and never actually finding out what the issue was. Like I said in my previous post KO got me an entirely new radio and module and everything was great...until recently, it did that weird thing with the settings getting messed up, but in my case is now showing the same symptoms as the original radio and module did. The worst thing about this is that the problem is intermittent, it seems as if the radio decides when it wants to work. Now hearing that the same issues are being experienced by Eurus owners hopefully we can find out whats wrong and finally get it fixed permanantly. I totally understand things can go wrong and break but I depend on reliability and that's a major deciding factor for my purchases. Now this seems to happening on the Eurus which is a newer model...is this just a KO issue, something inherant to 2.4? I just know that for me I'm holding off on any new purchases until I hear more about this issue and thats a shame because I really do like their Radios.
Old 2010.12.08, 10:13 PM   #130
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

just to add to this my eurus has done the same thing 2 times. it happened to all my models but all settings changed to different points. not all to 100. its not fun to be fighting a non handling car only to notice after you have changed car setups that it was the radio all along.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 04:00 AM   #131
Felix2010

hpotter - I understand your frustration. I agree completely that reliability is a big part of what I choose to buy and run on my Mini-Z's. I was so disheartened when the 1st RF-901SM module I bought started glitching. I run at my home track mostly and low ceilings+large RCP layout did not help the old AM&FM-Band signal strength at all. Actually I was really, really PO'ed because my Xmods ran head and shoulders better than my Mini-Zs which are supposed to "hobby-grade"!
When ASF arrived, I was expecting glitch-free - Because that's what I was told. "No more glitching, period". (I was surprised it was "Auto-Select Frequency" and not "Continuous Auto-Select Frequency"). Every electronics co. has their own technology though (KO, Spktrum, so on) and Kyosho quality has always been top-notch, so I trusted and still trust KO Propo to be top-nothc as well and that KO the company will stand by and take care of us Mini-Z guys. Once I found out it was a defective 901SM module that was the source of my 2.4 ASF problems - And now that I have 2 working radios with 901SM modules working 100%(Helios & EX-1UR) - I have been happy for the large majority of my experience with KO products.

On the other hand...I have heard some horror stories about KO 2.4 ASF stuff not working... Deff NOT good... The thing is, I don't have any exp with other 2.4 gear (Spektrum/Futaba FASST/Airtronics/etc.). From forums and blogs it seems to me that KO gets the most customer complaints in regards to their 2.4 ASF technology; Things are not all 100% with KO's 2.4 ASF stuff for Mini-Z.
My Overall Opinion though is, I really like KO Propo stuff.

Are you using standard 8xAA batteries for your Tx(s)? Did you switch to Lipo pack from aftermarket co.'s? What about the other racers experiencing problems with their Tx's, like the phantom setting-changing on the Eurus? Anyone running the OEM battery setup 8xAA and experiencing problems?

The Eurus is the Flagship Tx; I expect KO to make good on this product, and on the EX-1UR and the Helios still even. Hopefully this is a simple problem w/a simple solution.

It does kinda blow to get new gear, pay big $$ for it too, and have it not work... I know how disappointing it is. But KO and Kyosho I don't think are going to let us down.

I would like to hear a response from KO regarding the Eurus issue - I am in the market too for a Eurus possibly, but I need to know I can count on it 1st.
Old 2010.12.09, 04:28 AM   #132
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
just to add to this my eurus has done the same thing 2 times. it happened to all my models but all settings changed to different points. not all to 100. its not fun to be fighting a non handling car only to notice after you have changed car setups that it was the radio all along.
Chad, my settings changed to different points also. The 100 was more of an example of what happened. Ill have to check all my other car settings and make sure they are good.

Old 2010.12.09, 09:49 AM   #133
hpotter

I have always run standard AA's in my Tx and the other racer who had the same issue also uses reg AA batteries. Just a sidenote; the first thing I checked when problems started was the battery voltage and all was fine--even changed them to brand new just to make sure.
Old 2010.12.09, 10:35 AM   #134
Felix2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotter View Post
I have always run standard AA's in my Tx and the other racer who had the same issue also uses reg AA batteries. Just a sidenote; the first thing I checked when problems started was the battery voltage and all was fine--even changed them to brand new just to make sure.
Answering my questions before I even ask them... That's a violation of Quantum Theory of Causality Only thing I know that can do that are Tachyons... And they supposedly don't exist (Bad science humor)

There seems to be a definite problem with some KO Tx's memory then.
I just run 8xAA's myself as well in my Helios&EX-1, and I've gotten used to the weight; I've heard of people frying their Tx simply by hooking up their aftermarket replacement Lipo stickpack to their Tx... One company (I don't know specifics) that makes some of the Tx 3-cell Lipo packs does the polarity of their Tx Lipo pack BACKWARDS compared to how KO has the polarity set on the 8xAA battery "stick" on KO Tx's... I guess some guys have shorted-out their radios when they just plugged-in the Lipo pack. I never wanted to take the chance.

I would've thought that there would be reverse-polarity protection on high-end Tx's. But when I think about it, KO never intended for us to use aftermarket 3-cell Lipo stick-packs instead of standard OEM 8xAA Alkaline cells....
Old 2010.12.09, 11:00 AM   #135
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

but they did in the eurus. i just recently installed a lipo in mine but have yet to run enough to get the problem happen again.

i wounder if there is any chance this problem and the bind, and glitch problem could all be the same issue.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote