Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.10.05, 07:47 PM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Kyosho Cup Round at TTs- February 2004

this has been posted on another thread but to keep it fresh over here, i've decided to post this info again.

KYOSHO CUP RACE
February 21, 2004
Tom Thumb Hobbies
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, Ohio 43204
Telephone: 614-274-5150

plans are in the works for a bigger track for this event. pics of course will be posted in due time as progress is made at the LHS.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.06, 12:46 PM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

Can't wait!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.08, 10:36 PM   #3
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

hey MiniZ,

here's your chance to make up j/k

i plan on running the 02 again on this one and of course the F1

be good that we'll have you around one more time
Old 2003.10.08, 11:51 PM   #4
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Count me out due to battery control:

Kyosho Power GP800 NiMH Spec AAA is the only rechargeable battery allowed in Open Classes

Stock is Alkaline Umm ok yea I cant wait to pay 40$ for 4 batteries that are only sold at the track... cuz kyosho mini-z batteries are not a US distributed product. They had better GIVE them to the racers...

hehe MR02 is a different class, as is the Overland

MR-01 Stock (for cheapskates I guess?)
MR-01 Open
MR-02 Open
F1 Open
Overland Open

Last edited by Draconious; 2003.10.08 at 11:55 PM.
Draconious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.09, 03:17 PM   #5
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

aren't the GP800 nimhs the same ones from greenbatteries.com?

if so, the cost is pretty good. For 800s that is.
Old 2003.10.09, 05:09 PM   #6
Draconious

Yea they are the same one, but you gota have the one that actualy says "KYOSHO" on the package...

Only way I will race is if i can use my Rayovac I-C3 cells..
Old 2003.10.29, 03:56 PM   #7
BobT

They must have someone at Kyosho who stays up all night thinking of ways to keep people from racing at their events.

For a half second I thought about trying to make it to this race. Then I read the BS about having to run Kyosho cells.

What a crock!
Old 2003.11.01, 10:45 PM   #8
shwookie
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to shwookie Send a message via Yahoo to shwookie
I talked to mike @ TT's today about the kyosho cup. I would love to do it, but it does seem to be such a hassle.
shwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.05, 11:12 AM   #9
Tom Thumb Hobby
Mini-Z Racer

Battery questions

It is unfortunate that confusion about the batteries has led to some of the negative posts on this forum. I spoke to my rep at GP/Kyosho today about the situation. I hope the following will answer some of your questions.

The desicion to mandate Kyosho branded batteries was solely Kyosho's. No shop hosting a race was involved. Do not direct your anger at any of the local shops hosting these events.

HOWEVER, I don't believe anyone need be angry. The purpose in mandating a particular battery is to help level the playing field. Anyone who has raced electric R/C for any length of time knows that batteries can be one of the great determining factors between winners and losers. That is why many 1/10 racers routinely spend $100+ per pack to try and get that extra "edge". Even when batteries are not the difference between first and last they are often blamed for it anyway.

Some have posted that they think this is just another way for the organizers to make money at the expense of the racers. I couldn't disagree more. I, for one, won't make enough profit from selling batteries for this race to buy a tank of gas and lunch . I doubt even Kyosho will make any major dollars. Batteries are just not a big profit item.

As far as availability, I have been told that sometime around 11/26/2003 they should be shipping. Forget the rumored $40 a package. They will sell for no more than $15 and might even be found for as little as $12.

So, before you make a rash decsion not to attend one of these events, considering this. NO ONE is trying to dig deeper into your wallet. The idea of a mandated battery is not new. Both Tamiya and Trinity have/do use it in their races. The purpose of the mandated battery is to make the races more equal, fair, and fun. And, isn't that why we race Mini-Zs....to have FUN???

I feel that the battery rule will make the racing better. After you try it I think you will agree. I also hope to see many of you at our race in Feb. 2004.It WILL be FUN !
Tom Thumb Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.05, 11:56 AM   #10
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
take a look in the few shops that do have them.....they are atleast $17 and sometimes more. i'm sure you will find them for about $12 from the asian shops but that doesn't include shipping.
they are and likely will remain more expensive than almost all other brands as kyosho's parts are typically not cheap. this will not stop me from participating as i have already made requests for them to the shop. it's just frustrating more than anything else and many members are venting that frustration....
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.05, 12:13 PM   #11
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

yeah, it won't stop me from participating either.

i just hope the schedule will allow me to use one set for multiple classes
Old 2003.11.05, 12:18 PM   #12
Tom Thumb Hobby
Mini-Z Racer

Actually Arch2B, the $15 is Kyosho USA suggested retail and I expect to be able to sell them for bewtween $12 and $13. Not as cheap as some but still not a bad deal. No Asian shipping to pay either.

I do understand the frustration, but all things considered, the battery rules should make for a better and more equal race series. I have raced 1/10 elec for years and if all it would have cost me is an extra $2 to $3 per pack to make sure that the "other guy" didn't have a special "unobtanium" battery I would have gladly paid.

The popularity of Mini-Z is exploding and along with it will come a proportional increase in the technology adapted to the cars. I would not be surprised if someone isn't already trying "voltage enhancing" (VIS ala Trinity) or at the very least matching these little AAA's. As racing becomes more competitve the more the little things make a difference. I think Kyosho is trying to keep things equal for everyone.
Old 2003.11.05, 04:29 PM   #13
Draconious

None of my blame or anger was directed toward the race facility... it was 100% at Kyosho...

My $40 price. which was a humorous exageration in a live chat, was not nessessarily for one set, and was including shipping from japan/hK... since at the time that was the only place to get them... Its listed in the Kyosho Mini-Z manuals as a JAPAN ONLY product... they dont even translate it.

I still will not bother racing cuz I do not wish to pay for Kyosho Batteries... id obviously need more than just 2 or 3 sets... so you wind up paying around $40, any way... I ve already spent over $100 on cells I want to use what I already bought...

The Kyosho Cells better be GOOD cells, rumor is they suck, if they are extra cheap, or some are made in china, and some are made in japan, some one is going to wind up with bad cells, and good cells any way......... it realy dont make a difference, they only reason they insist on using the Kyosho cells, is cuz the money goes in Kyoshos pocket for the sales... --- if this is not why they are doing it, then give all racers 4 sets of Kyosho cells with their ENTRY fee.... will they (kyosho, not the race host) do this? Doubt it...

Also, If they did not want to make more money, why not make a small list of "other"acceptable parts and batteries?

Since I like to group buy things to make my cost liter on things, I would group buy the kyosho batteries, but that would just be a direct conflict with davids shop here, so I likely wont bother...

Has any one put a set of 4 AAA Kyosho Mini-Z cells in a Rayovac PS4 charger yet? -- if they vent charing in this charger then they are likely crap cells... no better then generic green cells with a kyosho label on them... who knows I dont doubt some one out there is trying to buy just the labels... sot hey can shrink wrap their favorite cell with a kyosho label.. LOL...

Also, If they did not want to make more money, why not make a small list of "other"acceptable parts and batteries?

Since I like to group buy things to make my cost liter on things, I would group buy the kyosho batteries, but that would just be a direct conflict with davids shop here, so I likely wont bother...

Has any one put a set of 4 AAA Kyosho Mini-Z cells in a Rayovac PS4 charger yet? -- if they vent charing in this charger then they are likely crap cells... no better then generic green cells with a kyosho label on them... who knows I dont doubt some one out there is trying to buy just the labels... sot hey can shrink wrap their favorite cell with a kyosho label.. LOL...

Last edited by Draconious; 2003.11.05 at 04:39 PM.
Draconious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.05, 09:29 PM   #14
Tom Thumb Hobby
Mini-Z Racer

Drac,
I never said Kyosho wasn't trying to make money. They obviously hope to capitalize on the publicity and increase the exposure of Mini-Z's which will equate to more money for them. This will eventually benifit all manufacturers of Mini-Z parts. You don't have to be a business major to know that the more people who own Mini-Zs the more people who will want to "hop-up" their Mini-Z. I just don't think the battery rule is a "money grabbing ploy" on their part. I do think they expect some kind of return on their investment of time and money. Is that a bad thing? The profit they might make on increased battery sales for these races will be microscopic when compared to the global sales of their other products.

I have no idea of the quality of these batteries. I think it is too early to speculate until several racers have given them a fair test. However, good or bad, at least everyone will have the same advantage (or disadvantage). I have been told that they are manufactured by GP. At the risk of starting my own unfounded rumor, if they are similar in quality to the GP sub-C cells used in 1/10 R/C racing they should be very good batteries. GP batteries are some of the best in larger R/C racing. But the only right way is to wait before we pass judgement.

BTW..the comment about trying to find heatshrink to re-label batteries...don't laugh, its happened in 1/12 onroad.

Last edited by Tom Thumb Hobby; 2003.11.05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 2003.11.25, 10:02 AM   #15
wcrotty

Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
Draconious,

I for one think this is a good rule. At the mini Z nats
most everyone should be the same speed and driving
should be the factor. When someone is twice as
fast as everyone else there is a problem. With the
right contacts you can get packs hand made for you.
So it's not just get a bunch of cells and match them.
No one else can get the cells.
Kyosho saw the problem and now is fixing it with this rule.
I will buy one set for each open class i'm going to run.

In the box stock class everyone was equal speed
wise and it came down to carrying the speed in the
corners by driving skill.

The Mini Z cup is a great event and Kyosho is doing
a great job with it.

I wish i could come out for your event.

Bill

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion