Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.10, 03:34 AM   #16
Minizorro

In normal racing the mr03 steering angle is wide enough, I often limit it actually.
So I guess no one has ever tried to mod the steering.
Knowing how it works though, I would be very surprised you could mod it without making it very easy to break.
If you like 2wd why don't you look at the Atomic 2wd Amz?
You get a much more open platform, a real mini servo, rear suspensions instead of rigid axle so you can add camber to the rear which you cannot on MR03.
I don't own any atomic car but one thing I guarantee about the mr03 is that the asimmetrical design of the rear diff causes uneven transmission of power as soon as the diff is slightly dirty, probably not ideal (unless you were planning to lock it).
The Atomic 2wd could be a good option for you
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.10, 06:52 PM   #17
NZsevenkings

Minizorro. I while back I actually contacted Atomic about which chassis to use along with that Video I posted, they didn’t even know that you could drift a rwd mini. The first email response from them was to buy the 4wd version with the hyper steering link. I responded by saying that I would like to pursue a 2wd version and asked if there was a mod to increase the steering. Again no real upgrades unfortunately but the technician did say that the 2wd steering angle was close to the 4wd with the hyper steering addition. They also said they may set up a car 2wd car with a gyro and give it a go.. as of yet.. no reply

So I have looked down that path. It may be a possible direction to pursue. Might have to cost up what I need.

Valk. Just a side note I emailed Kyosho USA and asked them about the 431 Gyro and asked about the 4 wires compared to the 3 wires on the 403. There response was” I Cannot disclose that information. “ they also answered my concerns about the gyro correct throttle and steering response. It only correct steering. For some unknown reason I may have read the gyro also corrects the throttle.

PS I must find this social media group. Sounds like another place to get more info. I too am watching some MA-020s Items on ebay. We are approaching winter so would love to have something by then.

I haven’t got any real know how on where to start manipulating the steering angle from scratch. If your modding some existing aftermarket parts that’s a great start. Looking forward to your progress.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.11 at 08:16 AM.
NZsevenkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.10, 09:01 PM   #18
Valkyrie001

After taking to Kyosho USA I have figured out what I need to do for a longer turning radius, and the fact that I can change mt 03 to a 03s2 at just 44 some dollars. Now after looking at the 020 and the AMZ 4wd i wonder which one is better if my project does fail after my Frankenstein project which my wife calls it now. Ive have watch and read reviews on the AMZ which 1 of them was EXTREMELY BIAS (MR 03 MR 03 MR 03), but none of them pined them up against one another. IDK AMZ 4WD or 020...... Now what I have to do for my steering...1. On the knuckles where the pins contact the steering bar, the pins which turns into the frame I will cut those out and switch them; meaning the left will be on the right and right on left. Now the bar will have to be longer so the ends will be cut and extended to meet up with the pins. So hopefully this will work. Wish me luck. The other thing Ill have to lock out my diff which was mentioned earlier.
Valkyrie001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.10, 09:05 PM   #19
Valkyrie001

https://www.f******k.com/groups/822450127779297/
NZ here ya go

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 2016.03.11, 02:26 PM   #20
Minizorro

Mate your steering mod won't work.
You should borrow a friends car and check, I applaude your creativity and dedication to mod the car but the steering rod has a particularly limited design that prevents your idea.
In fact even the slightest tweak of the steering pin would result in steering rod binding and getting completely stuck..
Not to mention that there's probably no space for the steering pin to be sitting outwards as you would hit the wheel.
How about you buy yourself a Miniz buggy, remove the front diff and universal joints,put a lexan shell and drift wheels.. Buggy steering is wide and probably easier to tweak..
Not the most low Cg car though but it does drift nicely as AWD
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.11, 06:07 PM   #21
Valkyrie001

Alright Minizorro Ill look into that, but Ill have to try and mod just so I can satisfy that itch. After looking at some you tube videos on the AMZ 4wd I stumbled across someone trying to balance their machine and I saw that the 4wd wad super left heavy and so was their 2wd, so it looks like 020 for me.Contingency plan......
Old 2016.03.13, 09:14 PM   #22
NZsevenkings

Thanks for the link Valk. interesting to hear about the balance issue with the AMZ.. Maybe that's to do with the lighter lipo battery? Steering mod sound like a headache on MR03, but looking forward to seeing your results. I wonder how easy it is to mod the AMZ 2wd steering link?
NZsevenkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.14, 05:37 PM   #23
byebye

So you want more steering angle? And I'm guessing you want a different knuckle which in turn you would need a new steering rod?

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.25, 08:04 AM   #24
KWT

If you are going to setup a MA10/20 AWD for drift, get a one way diff for the front and a solid axle for the back. Also get the Kyosho drift tires. They come in both narrow and wide. You can change the toe by swapping the tie bar for one with a different lenght
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote