Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs

Old 2004.06.27, 10:31 PM   #1
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

RCP Bank Turns & NEW SUPER MINI TRACKS

See pictures below for an example of how you can make perfect banked turns with your interlocking tile track. RCP bank turns can easily be created by simply using items found around the house. I used Mini-Z boxes for these pictures, but you can use shoe boxes, wood or other items to successfully accomplish your own custom bank. Any angle of bank can be created simply by placing the support under the tiles. The tiles and side rails are very strong and flexible to allow a gradual rise at any angled bank. You can also put supports anywhere on the track to make humps and gradual level changes throughout the racing surface. Arch2b has some nice examples posted in his personal album. You can make these same bank turns on any of our RCP wide lane tracks. I will post some additional pictures of RCP wide lane bank turns shortly.

The track shown below is one of our newest track layouts and it is called the Super Mini. It consists of tiles from our original wide lane tracks and uses only one tile for the lane width. Side rails are placed on both sides of a standard single tile to create your own RCP Super Mini track. Our side rail link is very strong, so you do not need to put PINS in every straight rail. Simply stagger the straight rails so there is a PIN in every other straight rail and rotate the tiles 180 degrees for every length. The cars shown are 1/43 RC scale and the track sets up very well for smaller 1/64 scale cars as well. We are working on a complete Super Mini track that will contain enough pieces to make a good size road track and we will be offering it at around $100 shipped to your door. We will offer additional wide lane pieces for those that wish to make their own Super Mini track from there existing Wide lane tracks. Customers who already purchased one of our tracks, will be offered the additional tiles/rails at a reduced price to the price per tile of the complete wide lane oval and L. If you are a really good driver, you may be able to run (1) Mini-Z on this size track. Hold a good line on this RCP Super Mini and you will do very well at any Kyosho regional.

I will post more information on this new kit at TinyRC.com shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-447F.JPG (125.9 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-448F.JPG (128.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-450F.JPG (127.4 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2004.06.27 at 10:38 PM.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.27, 11:27 PM   #2
TNB
Pet Human

I learned another way to make a bank turn on the Mini-Tile last week. I would take a photo and post it, but its rather difficult to drive and take a photo of Bennie with his paws under the corner lifting it.
Old 2004.06.28, 12:32 PM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
my first comment would have to be, that track layout is awsome!

i have been doing banked turns with my track since the 1st week i've had it and would encourage other's make it more challenging by adding grade changes to your tracks as well. if supports well, the banked turns will look good as well as work perfectly. the mini tiles need less support for banked turns than the 50cm tiles. for those i suggest a peice of cardboard to support the actual slope so that the weight of the cars does not cause the tiles to sag on the seams. i've never had a problem but it works better with the cardboard support.

you can even go so far as my overland hill which at it's peak is over 18" off the ground!
here is what you can do with a racer on that hill, see this video clip

on top of overland hill

here are some pictures of the actual grade change or slope of some of my turns

coming down overland hill
banked series of turns
another picture of the high banked turn, atleast 4" high
an earlier double banked turn

any updates on individual peice sales?

one more question... can we get that layout with 50cm tiles? i would LOVE to have that layout! it offers choices and varies the challenge.

Last edited by arch2b; 2004.06.28 at 12:34 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.28, 05:58 PM   #4
arch2b

ken, any chance you can cad up this layout using 50cm tiles? i have a feelign it is going to be BIG!
Old 2004.06.28, 07:26 PM   #5
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Wow, that layout is so cool! The lane width is very narrow, however, as RCPMini-z points out. According to my calculations, this track has a lane width of 13 1/4”. That compares with an 18 3/8” lane width for the Mini-96, and I thought that was narrow! An amazing practice tool, if you can find a line on this track with its great curves, you can drive anything!!! This should be a lot of fun!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.28, 07:32 PM   #6
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

arch, the track pictured above is made using 50 cm tiles taken straight from the Wide Oval and Wide L kits. This track using (1) more 50 cm tile for the width all the way around is 14 tiles long and 10 tiles wide. That would put the total track at 22 1/2 feet x 16 feet. If you want this set up, go ahead and count the total tiles you already have and I will let you know the balance you need. Separate pieces for those that already own an RCP track are discounted from the original price per tile of the Wide Oval and Wide L kits.

Hammer, yes the lane width from inside rail to inside rail is 13 1/2".

I was thinking of raising the side border of the Mini-96's to 1 1/4", the same as this picture and the wide lane kits. What do you think? At first I thought the shorter borders would give the track a more open feel, but as I look at this even more narrow lane picture, it doesn't look that bad.

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2004.06.28 at 07:41 PM.
Old 2004.06.28, 07:47 PM   #7
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

I have some additional textures I am messing around with in addition to the off road texture. I think it would be fun to add different textured tiles at specific areas around the track to make things interesting and more challenging for the average hobby enthusiast and not so much for the organized racing events. Its almost like building your own custom rally course. Some tiles can be blue like water and allow the car to drift and slide where other textures can be different colors and simulate dirt and gravel, similar to the off road tiles. It just makes the everyday on road track much more interesting. My kids enjoy changing the track around almost as much as racing the cars.

I am currently working on some drift tiles, so users can install them on some corners to make partial drift tracks out of their existing Wide L and Wide Oval layouts. This involves making large radius turns that will interconnect to the Wide Lane tracks. Its already in the making.

I have the ability to make almost anything out of EVA foam, so these previously mentioned custom tiles are not a problem. I will post some pictures of some of the textures I am experimenting with, tonight.

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2004.06.28 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2004.06.28, 07:59 PM   #8
arch2b

"slick" tiles would be a fun addition. again, i love the idea! my track as you can tell is not setup for cup stlye races, more like your idea or custom rally events. you should see the f1's fishtail on the offroad tiles
Old 2004.06.28, 08:38 PM   #9
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

CP MiniRC Raceway, one of the Kyosho regional hosts for the last two years, is in the progress of replacing all there racing surfaces with RCP. They have already finished the large road course and they will be working on a large RCP nascar oval as well. Eric plans on inlaying another surface texture on the outside oval, to obtain an additional groove, similar to Nascar tracks that have different racing grooves around the track. The inside portion will be standard RCP and the outside section will be slightly different. Should be quite interesting to see how it all turns out. It's just another example how these tiles can be used with different textures and be incorporated in the same track.

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2004.06.28 at 08:40 PM.
Old 2004.06.28, 09:02 PM   #10
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPMini-z
I was thinking of raising the side border of the Mini-96's to 1 1/4", the same as this picture and the wide lane kits. What do you think? At first I thought the shorter borders would give the track a more open feel, but as I look at this even more narrow lane picture, it doesn't look that bad.
I absolutely agree, the higher side rails on the 96 would be great, I don’t think the additional height is a problem. I think they would add greatly to track stability, for banking purposes as well.
Addiing different textured tiles to the mix, would be a great addition for track flexibility.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.28, 09:25 PM   #11
TNB
Pet Human

Quote:
The inside portion will be standard RCP and the outside section will be slightly different.
Seems sort of what I mentioned earlier--using off-road Mini-Tiles attached to Mini-Tile blanks and then to regular Mini-Tiles. That way, a car would hit the off-road mini-tiles prior to hitting a rail. The higher rails on the Mini-Tile would also help prevent the cars from riding on over the top of the rails--the F1 is very good at that or so it seems when I'm driving at times causing me to be extra careful around the hairy kids.
Old 2004.06.28, 09:58 PM   #12
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Here are some of the textures we are working with. 1. blue = (water) slight spin and drift surface 2. orange = (brick surface) not much grip, slightly bumpy, 3. Pink = (pebbles) not much grip, slightly different reaction to the orange. 4.white = (super smooth) Our unique drift surface 5. Black bumpy = rough asphalt or lava texture. Each surface makes the car react differently.

All surfaces can be made into interlocking tiles with our unique interlocking link and can be made in 30 different colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-452F.JPG (126.7 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2004.06.29 at 12:43 AM.
Old 2004.06.28, 10:04 PM   #13
pHREDD
z of mini

Those look interesting. Will they be available in a accessory pack?
Old 2004.06.28, 10:44 PM   #14
TNB
Pet Human

With all those different colors, some "racer" wives might allow a track in the house if it matched the interior decorations though I don't know if I would want to race on an all "water" or "pebble" track.
Old 2004.06.28, 11:18 PM   #15
arch2b

Quote:
arch, the track pictured above is made using 50 cm tiles taken straight from the Wide Oval and Wide L kits. This track using (1) more 50 cm tile for the width all the way around is 14 tiles long and 10 tiles wide. That would put the total track at 22 1/2 feet x 16 feet. If you want this set up, go ahead and count the total tiles you already have and I will let you know the balance you need. Separate pieces for those that already own an RCP track are discounted from the original price per tile of the Wide Oval and Wide L kits.

Hammer, yes the lane width from inside rail to inside rail is 13 1/2".

i was thinking about modding the track by making all the straight portions 2 tiles wide. sort of like this....the blue line is where it would be 2 tiles wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (486.2 KB, 111 views)