Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019.03.18, 01:56 PM   #1
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Brushed MR03 sports to Dasmikro Brushless, PN motor

Hello,

I want to convert over Brushed MR03 sports to Dasmikro Brushless, PN motor, I have the 3500kv motor and DASMIKRO ASF brushless board now what do I need in the chasis to fit all this. I did see Arch2B post but he was converting over exactly like MR03 VE Pro but do I need to get the same stuff to convert over?

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 02:26 PM   #2
SuperFly
bitPimp
 
SuperFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 634
It's pretty much the same swap as a brushed board. You will need to keep your current servo motor and power switch. Just leave both in place, no need to remove them, just unsolder the wires. There are three servo pot wires (orange, white, green), two servo motor wires (black, red), and two power switch wires (both black). Be careful with the power switch wire pads that you don't get solder crossing over, they're very close together.

Take a picture of the wiring connections before you unsolder the old board.

What motor mount do you plan on using? Obviously you will need one that can mount the motor in question. It matters if it has screw mounting holes or not for both motor and mount.
__________________

mini-z gallery


PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 03:10 PM   #3
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
It's pretty much the same swap as a brushed board. You will need to keep your current servo motor and power switch. Just leave both in place, no need to remove them, just unsolder the wires. There are three servo pot wires (orange, white, green), two servo motor wires (black, red), and two power switch wires (both black). Be careful with the power switch wire pads that you don't get solder crossing over, they're very close together.

Take a picture of the wiring connections before you unsolder the old board.

What motor mount do you plan on using? Obviously you will need one that can mount the motor in question. It matters if it has screw mounting holes or not for both motor and mount.
Thanks for the quick response, I am going to use MM mount and I think motor should fit I guess. So the brushless boards seems little bit longer so I asked the question.

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 03:17 PM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp
 
SuperFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_truck View Post
Thanks for the quick response, I am going to use MM mount and I think motor should fit I guess. So the brushless boards seems little bit longer so I asked the question.

Smokey
yes, it fits though, but you reminded me that there is a part I think needs to be shaved a bit. It's the part that holds the servo motor in place.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I put that Das Mikro board in a PN chassis, so I had a slightly different situation.

If you look at this picture of the official conversion kit, you can see what they give you:



That little part to the upper left of the motor is different / needs modification.

Edit: re-thinking my entire "it fits" response; forgot you are starting with a Sport cover. you will need to cut a few holes for the ports, or get the MZ502 upper cover set
__________________

mini-z gallery


PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2019.03.18 at 03:26 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 06:24 PM   #5
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
yes, it fits though, but you reminded me that there is a part I think needs to be shaved a bit. It's the part that holds the servo motor in place.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I put that Das Mikro board in a PN chassis, so I had a slightly different situation.

If you look at this picture of the official conversion kit, you can see what they give you:



That little part to the upper left of the motor is different / needs modification.

Edit: re-thinking my entire "it fits" response; forgot you are starting with a Sport cover. you will need to cut a few holes for the ports, or get the MZ502 upper cover set
I pulled the top part and the brushed top plate which covers the board does not match to brushless board, I ordered thee top plate from eBay, hopefully that will fit

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 08:32 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,416
Send a message via AIM to EMU
The lower chassis is also different. You might be able to get it to work with just a top cover. The primary difference is in the servo motor restraint. On the VE, it is much lower profile. On the brushed chassis, it screws through the top deck to restrain it (these screws would interfere with the brushless board.

I wish it was as easy as just swapping the board and you get brushless, but in reality it requires a new chassis entirely. Either a PN or VE/EVO lower and upper chassis (including servo motor restraint).
__________________
EMUracing
Micro RC Syndicate /DG Designs /GSR /Reflex Racing /Fast By Faqish /MurderTown Racing
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.19, 02:02 PM   #7
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Brushed MR-03 sports to ASF Dasmikro Brushless done

So after soldering the board, the board fits on the MR-03 sports chassis and everything fits. Only issue I had was that paring button hole doesnot lineup to the top cover, I just cut a hole and issue resolved.

I moved all the servo wires one to one on to DASMIKRO brushless board and I didnot have the steering and when I looked up the wiring drawing, red wire and black wire going to pot are swapped in the brushless boards.

I swapped and everything is fine.

Thanks again for all the inputs, it helps a lot.

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.19, 10:18 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,416
Send a message via AIM to EMU
Do the screws fit through the top deck/ servo motor holder? Can you post a pic of the setup installed?
__________________
EMUracing
Micro RC Syndicate /DG Designs /GSR /Reflex Racing /Fast By Faqish /MurderTown Racing
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 02:33 AM   #9
herman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: makati, philippines
Posts: 8,697
Sorry for newbie question...

I didn't quite notice... but is the main chassis part of the mr03ve the same as the mr03?

Looks like the mr03 has a side tab for the front servo cover for N and W options... while the ve version has none...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190320-141943_Samsung Internet.jpg (195.5 KB, 53 views)
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 03:39 AM   #10
EMU
EMUracing
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,416
Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Sorry for newbie question...

I didn't quite notice... but is the main chassis part of the mr03ve the same as the mr03?

Looks like the mr03 has a side tab for the front servo cover for N and W options... while the ve version has none...
The VE top cover is one piece, where brushed variants have a 2 piece top cover. The VE cover has no side tabs.
__________________
EMUracing
Micro RC Syndicate /DG Designs /GSR /Reflex Racing /Fast By Faqish /MurderTown Racing
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 08:57 AM   #11
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Do the screws fit through the top deck/ servo motor holder? Can you post a pic of the setup installed?
Yes I will post the picture, only thing I changed was brushless board so all the screw mounting holes are same since it is the same chassis. I think this is one of the cheapest way to get brushless system in MR03 brushed ones without counting motor and ASF radio🤑

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 06:34 PM   #12
herman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: makati, philippines
Posts: 8,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The VE top cover is one piece, where brushed variants have a 2 piece top cover. The VE cover has no side tabs.
Will you be able to use the ve top on the mr03 brushed chassis if you shave off the side tabs?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 07:40 PM   #13
Smokey_truck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Will you be able to use the ve top on the mr03 brushed chassis if you shave off the side tabs?
I am waiting for my VRE top to come in the mail so I can try it out, at this point really the cover is working fine, I probably will use it for next conversion, I have few brushed mrO3, I need to convert so I can use with Ex-6R Dario and also get brushless system.

I bought couple of VRE pro models and ended up changing motor so now I think doing brushed to brushless of existing ones and add motor is better option.

Smokey
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 07:55 PM   #14
herman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: makati, philippines
Posts: 8,697
Just looked at the manual... looks like main chassis is not compatible...
The mr03 chassis has two bigger screws holding the servo motor...
While the mr03ve has much smaller screws... unless there is a way around it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190321_075113.jpg (185.0 KB, 43 views)
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 07:59 PM   #15
herman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: makati, philippines
Posts: 8,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_truck View Post
I am waiting for my VRE top to come in the mail so I can try it out, at this point really the cover is working fine, I probably will use it for next conversion, I have few brushed mrO3, I need to convert so I can use with Ex-6R Dario and also get brushless system.

I bought couple of VRE pro models and ended up changing motor so now I think doing brushed to brushless of existing ones and add motor is better option.

Smokey
Just saw your post so I guess you can use the brushless board in the mr03 chassis... good to hear... looking forward to some pics...pics
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
burshed to brushless, dasmikro

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best brushless motor TheRinger Motor Tech 6 2018.09.05 04:36 PM
Racing Thursday cosmicsoul High Speed Hobbies, NC 1575 2016.03.11 03:21 PM
FS: ASF (brushed) mini z MR03 cowboysir Mini-Z Marketplace 1 2014.09.17 08:36 PM
WTB: 90mm motor mount for mr03 assideways Mini-Z Marketplace 0 2012.03.01 08:07 PM
review: motor temp study West.F1 Mini-Z F1 MF-010, MF-015 10 2002.10.01 12:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 Mini-ZRacer.com
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products

more»
Tiny RC Community News
[03/22/17] MZR was on vacation, didn't... : All kidding aside, the host experienced a bit of a server meltdown last week and efforts to restore the site to a new server took longer than anticipated. The current server is temporary until - more»
[11/25/15] Did You Hear? Our Black... : Hey Racers,
We're getting started a bit early with our Black Friday sale this year.  Generally we're not supporters of retailers opening early on Thanksgiving, but in our case, we're - more»
[06/30/15] shop.tinyrc.com: Have You... : Hey All! Just a quick reminder to everyone that we post all of our shop.tinyrc.com Newletters here on the MZR Forum. If for some reason you miss them in your email inbox, you can always see the - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts