Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.05.19, 08:59 PM   #1
rajiex

Help with 90mm setup

I am running a Mazda Rx7 with a Atomic Rear Pod. This car rolls everywhere.

I have the Atomic DPS with only the top disk on, white stock MR03 springs in the front, Rt 246 one degree knuckles, PN-4 T-plate. I push down on the rear corners and the opposite front wheel goes up. I changed to a PN 94-98 pod and this problem goes away. I don't think that the chassis is tweaked

Any suggestions???
  • MR-03 94MM Nissan 350Z
  • MR-03 90MM Ferrari 355
  • MR-03 98MM Ferrari 599
  • MR-02 98MM Mosler
  • MR-02 102MM Mazda 787B
  • MA-10 94 Chevy Corvette
  • MA-10 94 Toyota Supra (Drifter)
  • MF-015 Ferrari
rajiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.20, 03:37 AM   #2
color01

The shorter wheelbases turn harder, sometimes that's all you need to push the chassis beyond the boundary of traction roll. What is the rest of your setup? There are many things that can contribute to traction rolling and without knowing the base we can't necessarily suggest anything guaranteed to work.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.20, 12:00 PM   #3
rajiex

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
The shorter wheelbases turn harder, sometimes that's all you need to push the chassis beyond the boundary of traction roll. What is the rest of your setup? There are many things that can contribute to traction rolling and without knowing the base we can't necessarily suggest anything guaranteed to work.
Its an MR-03 with Kyosho 30 radials in the front and 20 radials in the rear.
Atomic 90mm, Atomic DPS with top disc only. PN 50T.
PN4 T-Bar, Stock ME-03 with white springs. I am using EX-5 radio.

Only thing I can think of not to flip is dial down the steering. But the front wheel lifting up is killing me.
  • MR-03 94MM Nissan 350Z
  • MR-03 90MM Ferrari 355
  • MR-03 98MM Ferrari 599
  • MR-02 98MM Mosler
  • MR-02 102MM Mazda 787B
  • MF-015 Ferrari
Old 2011.05.20, 12:57 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
30d radials in the front may be a little overkill. Do you have an ATM Slick-R 40 that you can try?

Also, maybe a slightly softer longitudinal but stiffer lateral t-plate may help... The leverage on the different mounts may come into effect, being that the t-plate flexes less with the 98mm mount for the same amount of movement. How much uptravel do you have with the 90mm mount? Are you running a top shock? I would recommend trying a Kyosho t-plate if you have one...

Does the inner front wheel lift on both sides evenly? Is the travel unrestricted by motor wires? What holes do you have the DPS post mounted on the damper arm and where is the DPS plate mounted? A picture of the setup would be helpful.

I feel that the shorter wheelbase would not need as laterally soft of a t-plate since the center of mass of the wheelbase is closer to the rear axle than it is on 94-98mm.... One thing to consider as well, is the location of the damper post, which is much further forward than it is with the 94/98 mount. The 94/98 mount has the damper post directly above where the t-plate mates with the mount, the ATM 90mm setup has the damper post directly above where the t-plate mounts with the chassis. This changes the properties of how the damper reacts to loading. Especially with only one plate being used. As you increase mass to the rear with the 90mm setup, the disc will load at a higher rate than the 94mm setup will, since the offset arm increases leverage.

While I cant really say my setup is right, I tried to keep my damper post as close to the pivot point as I could. I shaved the DPS plate, and damper arm for more clearance, and used the rear hole in both the DPS plate and DPS post. I also used two discs, and clearanced the PCB cover slightly for a standard DPS post. This is dangerously close to the motor wires, if you use screws to attach the wires. My 90mm setup is still a work in progress, but it drives pretty well (except that I have a busted servo gear right now to change out). I am currently using the FD3S RX7... with narrow wheels all around
Old 2011.05.20, 01:20 PM   #5
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

Raj, please see my responses below:

I am running a Mazda Rx7 with a Atomic Rear Pod. This car rolls everywhere.

*This is a known issue with 90mm Narrow running on RCP. You will need to lower the car to the ground; true the tires; use 19/18mm wheels; and lighten the body, etc....... Wide rear tires help; for Action I'd use ATM 40 SlickR front for Narrow or worn out K30s.

I have the Atomic DPS with only the top disk on, white stock MR03 springs in the front, Rt 246 one degree knuckles, PN-4 T-plate.

*I'm not familiar with a PN4 plate; try soft Fiberglass plates. ATM V.3 Damper springs are best for the ATM 90mm Mount.

I push down on the rear corners and the opposite front wheel goes up. I changed to a PN 94-98 pod and this problem goes away. I don't think that the chassis is tweaked

*Did you mean when you push down the front and the opposite rear lifts?

I should be stopping by ActionRC soon I'll take a look at your car. My 90mm is dialed on RCP and on carpet. It's very simple.

Last edited by Atomic-USA; 2011.05.20 at 01:26 PM.
Atomic-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.20, 06:18 PM   #6
rajiex

Sai

The pn plate is the hardest I have. As for Tds spring, it's the hardest pn I have. When I push down on the front the rear stays planted. But when I push the down the rear the fronts wheels go up.

Got worn k30s on front and atomic v50 on rear. I have 19 fronts but regular size rims on the rear.

I got earplugs for u and a white noise machine for the limo.
  • MR-03 94MM Nissan 350Z
  • MR-03 90MM Ferrari 355
  • MR-03 98MM Ferrari 599
  • MR-02 98MM Mosler
  • MR-02 102MM Mazda 787B
  • MF-015 Ferrari
Old 2011.05.20, 10:07 PM   #7
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiex View Post
Sai

The pn plate is the hardest I have. As for Tds spring, it's the hardest pn I have. When I push down on the front the rear stays planted. But when I push the down the rear the fronts wheels go up.

Got worn k30s on front and atomic v50 on rear. I have 19 fronts but regular size rims on the rear.

I got earplugs for u and a white noise machine for the limo.
Get rid of the hard plate and hard DP spring and go soft. When you push down the rear(assuming the rear corner of chassis) I think the opposite front will always lift up. Check your other cars.

I'd use 19mm in the rear as well, preferrably wide tires on RCP.
Old 2011.05.20, 10:18 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

I dont know of any 19mm wide wheels... So if you go with a 19mm rear, it would be narrow. At Action the only rear tires I use there are Kyosho 20 rears... whether they are wide or narrow. For the RX-7 I would definitely use wide. FD3S; 0w, FC3S; -1w. I could never really get the FC3S to handle the way I like... FD3S is still not quite what I want, but better for me.
Old 2011.05.30, 10:41 AM   #9
Dougboy

Our local track is going to be running a hatchback series. Would the same apply if I were to run a 90mm MR015 with high mount and a body like vitz? Roll will almost be inevitable, will a stiffer T-plate be best?
Old 2011.05.30, 01:24 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

I would start with harder front spring/t-plate and front tires, and work your way soft to search for more speed if you feel you have enough stability and want to search for a little more speed... Make one change at a time, and see what it does to the cars handling, whether its a tire change, spring change or t-plate change. What HM are you using? Do you have a damper plate?
Old 2011.05.30, 01:51 PM   #11
Dougboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I would start with harder front spring/t-plate and front tires, and work your way soft to search for more speed if you feel you have enough stability and want to search for a little more speed... Make one change at a time, and see what it does to the cars handling, whether its a tire change, spring change or t-plate change. What HM are you using? Do you have a damper plate?
Appreciate the quick reply. No disc damper but will get one if dampening will prevent the roll. Stock plastic mount for now lol, as it's just a "for fun" series and car is built from spare parts.
Old 2011.05.30, 01:55 PM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

I dont think the Kyoso plastic mount is disc damper compatible, you would have to invent your own solution... The ATM HM mount is DDS compatible, but it has been discontinued for some time now, and may be difficult to find. If you want to use a DDS, you may have to look into a 90mm MM mount.
Old 2011.05.31, 01:49 AM   #13
Digitalis West

I have been playing around with 90mm a lot preparing for the mini class at the KO GP III race. It was very tricky to get working because the short wheelbase is very twitchy and the tall mini-hatch bodies used made it worse. Taming the turn in and cornering is key to preventing rollover.

I ended up running a very stiff front end with Kyosho 40 slick front tires and a very soft rear end with lots of damping. The stiff front end and soft rear end transfers weight to the rear reducing front traction and preventing rollovers. This does tend to make the car push a lot meaning that you have to slow down for corners and be gentle on the throttle coming out of the corner. Increasing damping slows weight transfer on the car calming the car over bumps and giving back a little turn in. I generally run Kyosho 20 rears with this setup but some have experimented with harder rear tires (Kyosho 30 or PN-8) to reduce rear traction restoring balance to the handling with the hard front end. Reducing rear traction does not seem to be as fast in the race but the concept makes sense and it may be a matter of finding the right combination.

So... harder front tires with stiff springs, softer rear (PN-3, Kyosho Soft at the most..) and lots of damping if you can fit it on. With the front this stiff, I would not worry too much about lifting a front wheel during cornering.
Digitalis West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.31, 05:53 AM   #14
color01

If the track is smooth enough, you can also setup a hard rear end to reclaim some of your steering. I find that it's best to balance the setup between front and rear unless you have no other choice, as a hard front/soft rear setup can sometimes handle unpredictably (albeit still safely) in quick transitions.

EMU you don't like the FC3S? I rather liked how it drove on a Speedy07 MR015 with -0.5W rears, it got very close to traction rolling all the time but almost never went over; plus, it pivoted around turns as quickly as the F430 does. I want to try the FD3S at some point too on an RM chassis, I imagine the flatter setup overall will let me push the car harder before it rolls, and the RM config more turn-in "swing" which would be helpful with hotter motors.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2011.05.31 at 06:14 AM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.21, 06:06 AM   #15
rajiex

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I swapped the Mazda 7 (D) to the Porsche 911 GT3 and all my troubles went away without changing anything else. No traction roll, chattering almost stopped. Now the rear kicks out but I am more than happy.
  • MR-03 94MM Nissan 350Z
  • MR-03 90MM Ferrari 355
  • MR-03 98MM Ferrari 599
  • MR-02 98MM Mosler
  • MR-02 102MM Mazda 787B
  • MF-015 Ferrari