Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.12.07, 04:16 PM   #76
wildthing
RC addict

can a pico or micro servo fit in that space?
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.07, 04:29 PM   #77
color01

Of course it can, the problem is that I don't want it to. All of us working on the MRCG and 1.1 have come to the conclusion that there's no better steering servo for 1/28 than the Mini-Z ASF servo, and we'll need that in the car for any future products. It'll also make the "conversion chassis" selling point a lot easier, since people can just fit their existing Mini-Z servo assembly right into the car and have it work perfectly the first time around.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.07, 06:52 PM   #78
Tinytacohead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
...All of us working on the MRCG and 1.1 have come to the conclusion that there's no better steering servo for 1/28 than the Mini-Z ASF servo, and we'll need that in the car for any future products...
Wow, didn't realize it was that highly praised/well designed. I was under the impression that a "real" servo would be better as well. I thought wrong.
Old 2010.07.27, 09:12 PM   #79
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
I told Richard some time back I was cooking up an AWD design, so now that I have time (not really... but I can allocate my time to the point where I sleep at 6AM every day ) I sat down and drew this up.

This is the unorthodox version... great CG and weight balance but the final product of this wouldn't be user-friendly at all -- the last AAA is on the other side of the motor. That's gonna make one helluva saddle pack, as I have been told. The motor would be hard to access as well since one of the screws is deep inside the car. I just stopped working on it because it's a bit too funky, lol...

Enter the orthodox revision.

A proper AAA pack, M18-style sliding motor mount, decent weight balance (needs 8g more on the servo to be perfectly balanced) and very decent CG. Chassis is a reasonable 60mm wide and can accept 94 or 98mm wheelbase bodies. I haven't designed sway bar attachments yet but 1) I don't know if they'll be necessary on a chassis this low and 2) I haven't bought a set for myself yet so I have no measurements.

Why the layout is flipped relative to the MA010: originally, just for space constraints. Putting the servo on the right side of the car allows a tiny bit more room as I can indent the upper deck where necessary. However... I did some research and found that for almost all major manufacturers' shaft-drive cars (Xray M18, Yokomo MR4TC SD, Tamiya TB Evo series, list goes on...) the motor is on the same side of the car as the rear diff. As far as my qualitative analysis goes, I believe it's the best compromise of on-power vs. off-power stability (the motor torque affects the car differently on and off-power, as you guys probably figured). Oh well, it's usually safe to copy the companies that win.

Anyways, as of current this is just a design study. I'll flesh it out a bit more with properly drawn knuckles, CVD's and geartrain and fine-tune the geometries before attempting to produce parts for this bad boy. Please let me know if this is something I should look into producing in the future.
Any update on this AWD chassis color01?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.28, 05:36 AM   #80
color01

Don't really want to do it anymore. For all the racing I've done and seen, I haven't seen an MA-010 outhandle an MR-03, and especially not with the new servo in the 03.

When Kyosho updates the Mini-Z AWD with the same servo guts (or better), I'll reconsider the project. Still very expensive though and for a very small market (there are probably at least 5-10 times more 2WD Mini-Z's than AWD Mini-Z's in existence...).

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.07.28, 07:01 AM   #81
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Don't really want to do it anymore. For all the racing I've done and seen, I haven't seen an MA-010 outhandle an MR-03, and especially not with the new servo in the 03.

When Kyosho updates the Mini-Z AWD with the same servo guts (or better), I'll reconsider the project. Still very expensive though and for a very small market (there are probably at least 5-10 times more 2WD Mini-Z's than AWD Mini-Z's in existence...).
That's to bad, but I understand.

I've seen a few AWD that outhandle 02's and 03's. I guess not having an AWD class of its own is not helping at all.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 2010.07.28, 08:39 AM   #82
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

I'll race AWD with you Cherub, I think it's so much fun.
ROBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.28, 02:14 PM   #83
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??

Exclamation

Hi there Color1
First I hope Ur doing well all @
One thing I think you should take into account is the unequal double A- arm suspension system, both front & rear.
NO matter how low the CG is an S-bar would definitely improve the traction by providing additional assertion that the tires will be kept on the track surface, as well as, the side to side chassis balance at a turning point.
I guess Kyosho has a good design on its MA-010 in line to come out with a totally new main chassis design, just an objective point of view. At this point investing time and $ on what is good to make it great, considering the MA-010 4WD is the lowest sale chassis of the Mini-Z series might not be a good idea, just “speculating” On the other hand, coming up with a new suspension system design as an unequal wish-bone suspension is more viable for Kyosho, in my book. Perchance a better quality material on the main chassis could be possible if we don't consider that all this mayor branded R/C car manufactures finances depend in a high % on the sale of parts. Let’s remember always that Kyosho has no competition on the Mini-Z series to come up with new designs only if there is a high customer demand for new changes or to make obsolete old design and “sale” new designed chassis as a target to increase its revenues.
Certainly I’m looking forward to your new design of the 4WD chassis
Cheers
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.24, 02:41 PM   #84
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Hey color01

Any change of mind regarding the AWD project? I dont know if this was mentioned but if you use the 4th battery motor side you could have the motor slide out under the chassis and still put it on a mount where you could slide it left and right to adjust for gearing. Hope that makes sense.

Anyhow, any news?

Old 2010.10.24, 04:10 PM   #85
color01

Nah, haven't been working on it lately.

However, I am very curious about the new 1/28 AWD chassis shown at iHobby. Double-A-arm suspension front and rear would be great if the parts are of decent quality -- the MA010 drivetrain could be ported over to work with the new suspension and an AWD MRCG could be viable, parts-count wise. We'd still have to get around the servo speed issue though, the fastest modular radio system I could come up with is only about equal to the MR-02 in response time, and not even close to the 03.

As I have warned you guys for the last year and change though, I need to see people REALLY interested in AWD before something like this will make sense from a business standpoint. If every track in America goes to the Kyosho carpet, maybe... otherwise RWD will still be the more popular racing platform.

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.10.24, 06:00 PM   #86
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nah, haven't been working on it lately.

However, I am very curious about the new 1/28 AWD chassis shown at iHobby. Double-A-arm suspension front and rear would be great if the parts are of decent quality -- the MA010 drivetrain could be ported over to work with the new suspension and an AWD MRCG could be viable, parts-count wise. We'd still have to get around the servo speed issue though, the fastest modular radio system I could come up with is only about equal to the MR-02 in response time, and not even close to the 03.

As I have warned you guys for the last year and change though, I need to see people REALLY interested in AWD before something like this will make sense from a business standpoint. If every track in America goes to the Kyosho carpet, maybe... otherwise RWD will still be the more popular racing platform.
You are absolutely right Brian. But if by any chance you decide to come up with a few prototype 4WD that demonstrate to be competitive, count me in. I trust your ingenuity, as well as, the material quality you use.
It is always good to read your writings….
Cheers
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.24, 07:29 PM   #87
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i don't see all the clubs moving to kyosho carpet. just saying.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote