Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Old 2011.08.02, 08:42 AM   #271
njd13

I am waiting for either the Alfa 155 or Volvo 850 wagon bodies before I buy one...
Mini Z MR 03 2.4 (Silver Sauber C9/Renown787B)
Mini Z F1 AM (Silver Mclaren Mika)
Mini Z F1 AM (White Body)
Mini Z Overland AM (Escalade)
Xmod Evo (Red 370Z)
Xmod Truck (Black Hummer/Blue F150)
Dnano (787B)
Dnano (Subaru STi 2006)
Dnano (Ferrari F40)
IWaver 05
njd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.05, 01:29 PM   #272
jcr

Any updates on what battery or motor mod you can put on these?

Last edited by jcr; 2011.09.05 at 08:59 PM.
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.09, 07:42 PM   #273
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
2nd that. Still waiting to upgrade mine with some more power and/or juice. Slow outta the box, but can be pretty fun (considering the price tag) if we can get them to move faster.

Also, http://skvltd.wordpress.com/2012/01/...-scale-rc-car/

Last edited by Skv012a; 2012.03.05 at 12:02 AM.
Skv012a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.14, 12:41 PM   #274
cmenard

I just got a couple of these to use at home. Compared to the dnano they are terrible... Out of the box they are entirely too slow. I only opened one assembled it and ran it stock for about 2 minutes. Then I added a stock micro-T motor and now the thing is too fast for my RCP track. The stock tires have no bite with the added power. The major downside is with the micro-t motor the battery lasted about 4 minutes. So I guess I'll put this one on the shelf and return the unopened car.

I also had to put the servo saver on skewed to one side and adjust the tierod mount to get even turning circles left to right. I wouldn't install it "centered" as the instructions say.
cmenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.05, 12:02 AM   #275
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Mine is perfectly fine save awful battery life/charging. I think stock motor would be perfect if the thing had proper juice.
Old 2012.03.05, 12:17 PM   #276
cmenard

I went through the trouble of mouning a 2s lipo where the stock esc/receiver mount. Then decased my KO 2.4 reciever and mounted it on the drivers side battery slot and modded the battery/chassis case to go back over it. I used an older Duratrax brushed esc from a Vendetta SC decased and mounted on top of the servo and 2s battery. After all this the car still sucks. Stock motor sucks even with more juice. The car needs better tires first, t-plate options, and a different front suspension all together. I still stand by my original assessment that this thing is complete junk and a waste of money.
cmenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.06, 05:57 PM   #277
Skv012a

I feel its predominantly good for body selections before anything else.
Old 2013.01.18, 05:15 PM   #278
gctkaz

I have been on the fence for one of these for a long time, and I finally picked one up yesterday in spite of the relatively negative opinion here.

Agree with the fact that it is slow. However, I get the feeling most of you are running this on tracks built for Mini-Z, so yea you are going to be as frustrated as I was running a silvercan Tamiya Mini on a big course where mod/nitro guys were hitting 100+kph.

The RS32 is a smaller car and the track also needs to scale down with it. IMO where this car can be exciting is on a super tight track with 30-50cm lane width. I have four 2'x2' foam tiles arranged in an "L" with a track dot in the middle of each tile for a sub-30cm lane width, and the RS32 takes this without much difficulty while my Mini-Z doesn't even have enough room to turn. I am running 8T pinion and the only other thing I did was put bearings on the rear axle.

Stock tires are gripping well on the foam tiles also. Really nice handling on the foam surface although the steering servo is quite slow. I don't think there's really anything more I need to put into this car other than front wheel bearings. More battery life would be nice too. What would be really great is if the charger had some kind of protruding pins that go into holes in the bottom of the chassis, then you could charge the car without even taking off the body, just drop it on the charger and press the button..
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.18, 11:30 PM   #279
Customizer

Send a message via AIM to Customizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
I have been on the fence for one of these for a long time, and I finally picked one up yesterday in spite of the relatively negative opinion here.

Agree with the fact that it is slow. However, I get the feeling most of you are running this on tracks built for Mini-Z, so yea you are going to be as frustrated as I was running a silvercan Tamiya Mini on a big course where mod/nitro guys were hitting 100+kph.

The RS32 is a smaller car and the track also needs to scale down with it. IMO where this car can be exciting is on a super tight track with 30-50cm lane width. I have four 2'x2' foam tiles arranged in an "L" with a track dot in the middle of each tile for a sub-30cm lane width, and the RS32 takes this without much difficulty while my Mini-Z doesn't even have enough room to turn. I am running 8T pinion and the only other thing I did was put bearings on the rear axle.

Stock tires are gripping well on the foam tiles also. Really nice handling on the foam surface although the steering servo is quite slow. I don't think there's really anything more I need to put into this car other than front wheel bearings. More battery life would be nice too. What would be really great is if the charger had some kind of protruding pins that go into holes in the bottom of the chassis, then you could charge the car without even taking off the body, just drop it on the charger and press the button..
Get a 1/43 Epoch Indoor Racer. It's everything you'd want from an RS32 in a smaller package (except being 2.4ghz).

I was on the fence re: purchasing a RS32 myself but ultimately the things you mentioned that might make the car better is why i chose an Epoch Indoor Racer at the time. IMO, smaller RC's are better due to the area required to set up a quality track but the quality and convenience of the car is important as well. I chose a Mini Z KO (iWaver) and a Firelap over the RS32 due to the popularity of the scale and Mini Z compatible hop ups. Even though i had a BLAST driving the Iwavers i still bought a 1/43 Epoch Spec 2. Why?

It can be charged directly from my AC adapter plug and gets peak running times every time because of this. You can also add a 4th cell so that you are at stock Mini Z voltage. It;s smaller than an HPI RS32 and can make tighter turns. I have an Epoch for sale right now but i'm probably going to keep it despite only having one and no other similarly scaled car to race against. I only considered selling it due to the lady gravitating towards the larger cars early on. It's my personal "convenience racer" and truly is the perfect indoor rc car.

In my opinion if you want a sub 1/28 scale rc car...get an Epoch.
The alternatives are Dnano (extremely expensive in my opinion for what you get) and the RS32. The Epoch is right in the middle of these 2 with regard to convenience and performance.
Note: Not my picture below
Mini Z > XMOD > RS32 > Epoch...

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.01.19 at 12:35 AM.
Customizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.19, 02:58 PM   #280
gctkaz

I'm still having a lot of fun with this, but one other gripe I have is that I noticed is that my steering trim changes as the battery level drops. So I need to adjust the trim with a fresh battery, and then adjust the trim once or twice again a few minutes in. Does anyone else have a car that behaves this way?
Old 2013.01.30, 12:00 AM   #281
gctkaz

Quote:
my steering trim changes as the battery level drops. So I need to adjust the trim with a fresh battery, and then adjust the trim once or twice again a few minutes in.
Because I started getting a bit annoyed with how slow the SH-34 servo is, I swapped in an Hitec HS-55 and ended up with a double bonus. The HS-55 is a bit faster (but still not near-instant like Mini-Z), yet the runtime felt longer and I didn't really need to adjust the steering trim as I went through the pack.

I might try the faster HS-56HB but if the battery life goes down then I may revert to HS-55.
Old 2013.01.30, 05:52 AM   #282
Customizer

Quote:
Because I started getting a bit annoyed with how slow the SH-34 servo is, I swapped in an Hitec HS-55 and ended up with a double bonus. The HS-55 is a bit faster (but still not near-instant like Mini-Z), yet the runtime felt longer and I didn't really need to adjust the steering trim as I went through the pack.

I might try the faster HS-56HB but if the battery life goes down then I may revert to HS-55.
When you say that the Hitec HS-55 is a bit faster was this based upon an eyeball observation or did you take notes for as precises a measurement as you could? How would you rate it as compared to a Mini Z servo reaction time?
Old 2013.01.30, 11:19 AM   #283
gctkaz

Just by eye, sorry. Later today I will pick up a HS-5056MG, and maybe try doing a more proper test although I'm not sure how to do it. With a high-speed camera filming both servo and a digital stopwatch, from full lock left to full lock right? My digicam has a setting for low resolution at super high framerate (220fps).

The main problem right now is that I should test them all connected to the stock ESC and I only have one cable. I believe it is a JST-SH (1.0mm pitch) connector (edit: no it's not) but I am unable to source this locally, so it will be a pain just swapping the cable from one servo to another.

The other thing that concerns me is that I haven't seen anyone else complaining about the slow servo speed, so maybe I just got a dud servo with mine... Part of it has to do with just my lack of skill, but with the stock servo I understeer corner entry as it takes time to get to full lock, and oversteer the exit as it takes too long to return to center. But maybe this is why the car feels so planted - it makes the turn-in much more gentle so the car never traction rolls.

vs Mini-Z, the HS-55 is still no contest. It's still a bit tricky getting through tight S-curves since this is where you would need to rapidly go from full lock to full lock, but it's better than my stock servo. Good enough that if there is no other option, I would be content to stay with the HS-55.

edit: The servo does not use a JST-SH 1.0mm connector. It is Molex 1.25mm.

Last edited by gctkaz; 2013.02.14 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2013.01.30, 12:45 PM   #284
Customizer

Quote:
Just by eye, sorry. Later today I will pick up a HS-5056MG, and maybe try doing a more proper test although I'm not sure how to do it. With a high-speed camera filming both servo and a digital stopwatch, from full lock left to full lock right? My digicam has a setting for low resolution at super high framerate (220fps).

The main problem right now is that I should test them all connected to the stock ESC and I only have one cable. I believe it is a JST-SH (1.0mm pitch) connector but I am unable to source this locally, so it will be a pain just swapping the cable from one servo to another.

The other thing that concerns me is that I haven't seen anyone else complaining about the slow servo speed, so maybe I just got a dud servo with mine... Part of it has to do with just my lack of skill, but with the stock servo I understeer corner entry as it takes time to get to full lock, and oversteer the exit as it takes too long to return to center. But maybe this is why the car feels so planted - it makes the turn-in much more gentle so the car never traction rolls.

vs Mini-Z, the HS-55 is still no contest. It's still a bit tricky getting through tight S-curves since this is where you would need to rapidly go from full lock to full lock, but it's better than my stock servo. Good enough that if there is no other option, I would be content to stay with the HS-55.
Well if you noticed a difference in that scenario thats a fairly good observation of the improved performance. I only ask as someone mentioned upgrading their servo in another thread and i was curious as to whether or not servo's really do offer a speed improvement as opposed to simply a strength of materials improvement from one servo to another.

I guess what i'm saying is if servo A and B are functionally the same then what would make one faster than another other than increased voltage?
Old 2013.01.30, 05:16 PM   #285
gctkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
I guess what i'm saying is if servo A and B are functionally the same then what would make one faster than another other than increased voltage?
Just like your car's drive motor, given the same motor and controller in two servos, each one can be geared differently. Typically high torque+low speed, or low torque+high speed and servo manufacturers usually sell the same servo in these two configurations.

Anyway, I bought an HS-56HB today and... surprise. The profile of the casing is different so it will not fit. Not only that, the spline is a different size so you won't be able to use HPI's servo horn. So it looks like the only options (from Hitec at least) are the HS-55 and HS-5055MG.

Also, I put a standard sized cable into the SH-34, so using a servo Y-cable I was able to do a side-by-side test of the SH-34 against the HS-55. I think once you see the difference, you will want to do this upgrade too. Have a look!
YouTube video comparison