Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.04.26, 08:32 PM   #31
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
no, not yet. supposed to this weekend but brothers have infant birthday parties on the same day i race.

i plan on getting bearings but not the overpriced kyosho set. i happen to think dnano's are VERY similar to dnano's. there are many parallels between them and tuning them. my list is as follows; tires, ball bearings, disc damper, ball diff. ball diff will be almost last simply due to the cost. for gods sake, its smaller than a mini-z ball diff but more expensive

plenty of interest has been expressed but no one to follow thru so they may still be available.

i don't want to tell you what i paid for the 3 i have and all the stock replacement parts, etc. they really are a blast to race around on a good home track. i'm just hoping i can make a real race before to long. i'd like to race them as competitively as i do mini-z's. still holding out hope for a dnano hfay.
arch2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.26, 08:49 PM   #32
Rooster29

Well I hope that it works out that you can do the family brothers infant birthday thing and race! I didn't look at everything that HT had as far as parts, but I did look at the diff and that thing is like $39.95, man that is tough to swallow. I can imagine how much you have in stock parts etc. I agree w/ your list of as well. I might dare say that the damper system might play more of a role in handiling than the ball diff. I think I will have one with all the mentioned hop ops and run it, and then run my other one stock and see if it is worth having that $ into it. I am just running them at home by myself. I know of nobody around that has one yet. Who knows, maybe they will take off at HT and we can have some racers. It would be nice to get 8-12 people, but I'm not holding my breath. All those guys are into the 1/8 scale 1/10 scale nitro, Lipo powered stuff. That's cool, but to be honest I have had my fair share of all that stuff. It seems you spend more time wrenching on that stuff than running. and I have to be in the mood to wrench, which is rare. That's what I love about Mini-Z, whole lot of runin' time and way less tuning. Speaking of tuning, man those dNaNo parts are smaaaaaall. That would be cool if HFAY started something with the dNaNo.
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.26, 09:13 PM   #33
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i bought a couple screw sets for each car just because i drop so many of the screws i actually like my stock dnano and think it would be nearly perfect with the right tires, h plate and damper.

i took the light buckets out of my motul z. not entirely on purpose mind you. they popped loose so i just did the rest for them. gives some extra breathing room for the plus size wheels i have.
arch2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.26, 09:27 PM   #34
Rooster29

Extra screw set not a bad idea. You drop those, forget about it. I think I will do the same next trip to HT. How much did the wheels run? Do the plus size wheels help? I am charging a battery now that should be about ready. I am going to pair it and send the Motul Z off on it's maiden voyage.
Old 2010.04.26, 10:17 PM   #35
Rooster29

Well, these things are just fun to run. I give the Motul Z and the 917 two thumbs up. I am going to go ahead and get tires w/ more grip to help them turn. I think that the Motul needed more help than the 917 on my track. If anyone is on the fence about trying one of these, don't be.....you will like them. You will find yourself wanting more than one.
Old 2010.04.28, 09:08 PM   #36
Rooster29

What a difference tires make

I went to HT and got one battery run in on their track and picked up a set of tires to try out on the Eva foam. They had 10, 20, 40, 50, & 60 degree tires. I went with 10 for the front and 20 on the rear, thinking this would be good on the Eva foam mat. All I can say is wow!....big difference. No push at all, turned on a dime. I don't know if you can traction roll one of these things like I have with some Mini-Z's on rcp, but I just ran about 12 laps and it didn't even hint that it would roll. I think it was a good choice in tires and I am liking my track set up. One thing about running on their track is boy, that back end chattered a whole lot. I don't have that problem on the Eva foam. The 10 & 20 degree tires might not be what you need on a mini 96, but I think it is a good combo for my track.
Old 2010.04.28, 10:16 PM   #37
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster29 View Post
All those guys are into the 1/8 scale 1/10 scale nitro, Lipo powered stuff. That's cool, but to be honest I have had my fair share of all that stuff. It seems you spend more time wrenching on that stuff than running. and I have to be in the mood to wrench, which is rare. That's what I love about Mini-Z, whole lot of runin' time and way less tuning.
I've been bringing 4 Dnano's to the Hobbytown in Orland Park, IL. No doubt there is sticker shock. But when you think about it, Lipo, lipo charger, 2.4ghz transmitter, and car with 2.4ghz. $250 isn't that bad. But I can NOT stress enough, pop the battery in, drive. Period.

Wrench, wrench, wrench is getting old. I find the size of the technology is a marvel and the price isn't bad.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.29, 06:06 AM   #38
Rooster29

You know, one of my friends just got a brushless set up for his drift car, set of tires, a clear body, paint etc. He has over three hundred in that stuff alone. He saw the dNaNo's and told me he thought it was crazy to pay that much for a car that size. I then told him I thought it was a crazy amount of money he has in the drift car. I could buy two dNaNo's for what he has spent in ho ops on that thing. To each his/her own. But like you said, the technology is impressive. It's hobby grade a plus all the way. I don't care if it's 1:43, 1:28, 1:18, 1:10, 1:8. You can race them all, size doesn't define what is hobby grade stuff. I can't take up the time to mention every 1/10 or 1/8 electric or nitro cars/trucks I have had. I can say that I have had more fun w/ the Mini-Z's & now the dNaNao's hands down. If people would give these both a try, I think most would like them and agree. Just drive one. I think a lot of it has to do with an ego thing- but whatever.
Old 2010.04.29, 08:09 AM   #39
Racer-HH

Hi folks, over here in good old Europe we drive our dnanos on Mini-96 or even regular Mini-Z tracks. We found out, that with a x-speed and some cars on the track you definitly can make use of the space.
Concerning the disc-damper-issue: most of our drivers trust in these parts http://www.lmn-tuningparts.de. Maybe you can arrange a shipment to the US?
Driving your dnano with a disc damper will absolutely give you a boost in performance, handling and stability.

Racer
Old 2010.04.29, 08:17 AM   #40
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster29 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with an ego thing- but whatever.
Yeah, it does seem to be an ego thing. Small can be cute and cute isn't something you'd call a Brushless E-Revo. The thing is, I want to say "I'm here racing and your over there buying parts, waiting for a moment to fix up your truck and find a place to drive 60mph". I wouldn't but I do offer to let them drive mine and point out the fact that I have no problems handing over my person car to a perfect stranger knowing their isn't much they can do to destroy it.

Don't get me wrong, I own some brushless vehicles and they are a blast too. But I do end up spending a lot of time on the wrench
Old 2010.04.29, 12:40 PM   #41
Action B
The Galliant Dude

With electronics smaller is usually MORE expensive so the price of the DNANO makes a lot of sense in that regard.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.29, 12:47 PM   #42
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
With electronics smaller is usually MORE expensive so the price of the DNANO makes a lot of sense in that regard.
I remember when I bought the Mini-z when they first came out. The reaction I got was "Hey, we bought something like that at Toys R us. how much was yours?"

Then you tell them and they look at you like your crazy. Now I just hand them the controller to show them what I'm talking about. At that point, they think it is a marvel of engineering.
Old 2010.04.29, 12:59 PM   #43
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
I remember when I bought the Mini-z when they first came out. The reaction I got was "Hey, we bought something like that at Toys R us. how much was yours?"

Then you tell them and they look at you like your crazy. Now I just hand them the controller to show them what I'm talking about. At that point, they think it is a marvel of engineering.
Wow I can totally relate to this post.

How many times have I shown my Mini-Z to a relative and they thought their kids have the same toy lol.

OR, how many times have I been racing at a hobby store and hear some of the passing by people talking about how were racing Xmods.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.29, 01:02 PM   #44
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Wow I can totally relate to this post.

How many times have I shown my Mini-Z to a relative and they thought their kids have the same toy lol.

OR, how many times have I been racing at a hobby store and hear some of the passing by people talking about how were racing Xmods.
For our club, I have Xmods in the fleet. I have new people race those first and pass over the Mini-z. Each time the reaction is "Whoa, this is MUCH better".

The Xmods aren't horrible, but they aren't in the same league either. I enjoy taking the R8 around the track though as a handicap for myself.
Old 2010.04.29, 03:19 PM   #45
Apie

I'll chime in here about dNano, since I run 2 (Mazda 787 and porsche 917) at the local HTU and a wide L in my attic. I would NOT get anything smaller than the wide L for dNanos. You will see that the speed you get up to is as fast as mini z's on rcp. I can corner faster w/ dnano than a mini z. The mini 96 is just too small and narrow for the top speeds that can be achieved. This is state of the art RC, and every hop up you add will be noticed, as with every turn of the 2.4 controller. You will get used to it, steering is extremely sensitive, and that is why I love it more than any other RC I own. I have over 5000 laps and I have yet to damage anything, except the autoscale, which is only cosmetic. They are tougher than the MINIz auto scales IMO.

I would say the most important hop up would be tires for your surface. Then ball diff. Once you see what the old ball diff is, 3 delrin gears gears that grind when new, the turning speed and accuracy of a ball diff is what keeps this car consistant. Bearings help with speed, and noise, but it is not essential for smooth running. The ball diff definitely is essential IMO, if you have at least a wide L where you can get up to speed. If you get a small track that you think will be fine for the size, you will be unhappy, because what do we all want from our cars? Speed!!!