Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.08.31, 07:24 PM   #1
herman

MA03 F front wheel drive....

Haven't seen any pictures yet, just read something about a front wheel drive coming out (supposedly with the MA03 F designation)... anybody know anything else about this?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.02, 10:25 AM   #2
herman

Found an article - here's a rough google translation

"Yes, it is a front drive. There is no doubt (sweat)

According to Rukkon heaven Tokuyama's blog, it is expected to be released in Demio and Prius Body.

Although Kyosho has devised various measures so that beginners can easily enter, MINI-Z tends to escalate as a game by all means. I hope that it will be accepted into a wider group by introducing FWD new chassis."
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.03, 12:31 AM   #3
bobbyz

https://********/scripts/hljlist?Maker1=ksh&cl=1

Here's a link to HobbyLink Japan with some future Kyosho releases with the MR-03F designation. Odd that some say RWD. I'm sure some pics and description of this possible new chassis will help clarify.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.03, 03:44 AM   #4
xmodcanuck

And that website (screenshots attached) better explains this crappy pic I found earlier.

White&aqua fwd prius, white&red fwd demio, red&blue rwd nsx, white&blue wrx sti. And an all new chassis. It's crappy and blurry but it's all there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_201709011623215ab.jpg (12.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-17-14.png (361.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-13-53.png (378.7 KB, 31 views)
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.03, 11:36 AM   #5
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Can't tell from the pics, is it just an awd with front wheel drive?
Old 2017.09.04, 01:06 AM   #6
xmodcanuck

Found a clearer version of 1/4 of the blurry bit.

That there is definitely a new chassis. Seems to be a hybrid of mr03 and awd. Looks like awd wheels but mr03 battery placement. Front and rear bulkheads also seem very awd. Appears to do 90,94,98mm wheelbase. Unfortunately it might start out as a sports model, appears to be fhss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o0443064014019883679.jpg (80.4 KB, 55 views)
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.04, 09:28 AM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Looks like a better mini z-xmod hybrid than the ones I tried building back in the day. I don't see how they'll be a valid racing platform with it's high c.g.....

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.05, 06:50 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I wish Kyosho did a better job of marketing/product information distribution. Why are we finding this on retailer websites vs. their own blog or brand website? Has anyone asked Kyosho USA if they know anything about this and could share information? given the ETA release of October, it's surprising kyosho hasn't been discussing this yet. especially with other markets where retailers could be better positioning their inventory to accommodate new products. it doesn't show up on their new release schedule on their main website.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.05, 02:25 PM   #9
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
I don't see how they'll be a valid racing platform with it's high c.g.....
I think the intention is to create a racing chassis that has low limits:

Quote:
Although Kyosho has devised various measures so that beginners can easily enter, MINI-Z tends to escalate as a game by all means. I hope that it will be accepted into a wider group by introducing FWD new chassis."
I don’t think the creators of Mini-Z imagined they would be raced the way they are. Top-level racing Mini-Zs are often so modified and so covered in alloy and carbon fiber parts they barely resemble their original platform. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, and clearly neither does Kyosho, but it’s probably not what Kyosho imagined and not the market they want to cater to even now. They’ve left that up to the aftermarket community.

Kyosho is a Japanese company. The Mini-Z racing crowd is very "Americanized". Lots of money, stupid ridiculously fast cars, extensive mods, anodized aluminum and carbon fiber, big race tracks, foam tyres. Flashy, in other words. That’s all find and dandy and Kyosho is happy to sell chassis to that crowd, but they don’t expressly support them, and they certainly don’t design cars with that kind of competition in mind. The GP limited chassis is probably the biggest exception to date.

Instead, I imagine Kyoshos philosophy towards mini-Z is more subtle. They emphasize scale detail and the quality of the finished product. They refine the design incrementally instead of abandoning it with each successive generation. They could easily have gone 1S lipo and brushless years ago. Losi had them beat in 07 or 08. But the Losi product is inferior in every way. It has no backwards compatibility with any other Micro Losi stuff. It’s not that well thought out. It uses cheap, chintzy and poorly molded plastic. The electronics are terrible. It’s designed to be fast and impressive out of the box, but not refined or sophisticated, and it probably won’t hold your interest even half as long. Mini-Z is aimed at a different market.

Anyways. My opinion. Not facts. Just an observation on why the community seems to feel "let down" with some of Kyoshos recent releases. I know many are pining for hard-core factory racers. I'm definitely keen to try a FWD mini-Z

Quote:
I wish Kyosho did a better job of marketing/product information distribution. Why are we finding this on retailer websites vs. their own blog or brand website? Has anyone asked Kyosho USA if they know anything about this and could share information? given the ETA release of October, it's surprising kyosho hasn't been discussing this yet. especially with other markets where retailers could be better positioning their inventory to accommodate new products. it doesn't show up on their new release schedule on their main website.
I remember reading ages ago that Mini-Zs are a passion project for Kyosho. They release stuff when they feel like it and as they see fit. They know they don't have to bother marketing stuff because, well, look at us all chomping at the bit for more info on new products. They don't need to advertise to us I doubt very much that Mini-Z continues to be a profit center for Kyosho, and probably the biggest reason they keep developing products is because they want to, not because they have to. I can’t imagine they’d want to invest too much time and energy into a product that has already seen it’s rise and fall in popularity. The sport series seemed like an attempt to broaden the products appeal, as does this FWD chassis, but I think Kyosho relies heavily on word-of-mouth and the small but passionate remaining Mini-Z community to promote it on its behalf. I was recruited into the Mini-Z community by someone who was already in it, for example.

But generally I agree. Kyosho can be a pain in the butt to deal with and often appears indifferent to their fans wishes.

It looks very much like an AWD platform with a unique chassis. The motor is just above and behind the front axle. There is probably a spur/crown gear in place of the driveshafts bearing carrier. The servo set-up is mysterious. Curious where it fits since on the current AWD, the servo sits where the batteries appear to sit on the FWD chassis. Rear end looks like the original MA010. It will probably have low limits and traction roll effortlessly. I'm imagining 40 degree rubber tires, enjoy battle motors and lots and lots of understeer

It’s an interesting prospect though!

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2017.09.05 at 03:00 PM.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.05, 10:14 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
For Kyosho, their vision is to "play" with the mini-z. Few upgrades to make it more tunable/driveable, but not really to make it a competitive race car like HK/EU/USA like. We're all about winning the race, through as many miniscule details in setup to gain micro seconds on the track.

Kyosho aims for the mini-z to be relatively competitive with other almost box stock models in the same category so they can be raced for fun and have close battles. The idea is for scale realism, and they have done that very well. This chassis adds to that realism, much like how Tamiya does the same in 1/10, and has fwd chassis for their Tamiya cup which has less option parts permitted than other series of races. Kyosho was similar with the mini-z cup, but discontinued that.

I like the idea of the chassis, but feel that it could have been designed better. It won't be competitive with other chassis, but would make a nice box stock like class for fun racing.
Old 2017.09.06, 07:44 AM   #11
arch2b

well, for me anyway, the scale appearance and realism is what drew me to Mini-Z v.s competitive racing so this is a refreshing turn. Don't get me wrong, i like competitive racing as well but ultimately, this is a hobby in which i strive to have fun and enjoy so i don't get all twisted up in what it takes to always 'win'. If i can win the race so to speak while enjoying myself and what i like so much about the product at the same time, thats a real win for me. i realize i'm certainly in the minority on this here in the US.

not sure this is enough to drag me into an AWD like platform though. i spent enough time with AWD to know it takes more time than i have available to get right and keep it right. i like small hot hatch cars but the ASC offerings don't really appeal to me either. could make 90mm classes a lot of fun though.
Old 2017.09.06, 09:55 AM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I can relate about the scale realism being the draw to the scale/hobby. It was the initial draw for me. I love the realism and variety that you have with mini-z... then high levels of competition tend to remove variety because only a few bodies/wheelbase/chassis are truly competitive.

I tend to prefer the niche classes for racing, because the variety starts to show its face in them. I also like the more restricted classes, where its not all about having the hot hop ups. I loved semi-box stock, with wheels, bearings, and tires being the only upgrades permitted. Really tightens up the racing, and makes it more fun.

I think this chassis would make a great semi box stock class... bearings, tires, and probably differential (durability upgrade) as the only upgrade would lead to some good racing.
Old 2017.09.06, 11:31 AM   #13
TeeSquared
Redline

The realism and approachability are what got me hooked too I'd made half-hearted attempts to get into 12th scale and 10th scale touring cars but always felt put-off by the cost and the culture, though that could have just been my local racing clubs. I really like that Mini-Z demands driver skill to be competitive, and that you can’t buy your way onto the podium like you can in other classes.

My very first Mini-Z was an old, used AM MR02 with an Open Interface SC430. I set it up RM with only a T-plate, oil shock, xSpeed motor, bearings, knuckles and a tie rod and it was perfectly competitive back in the day for club racing. Plus it looked awesome! I didn’t always win but I regularly beat guys who had spent 10X as much on their cars. I liked that a lot. I never had that luck in 10th or 12th scale!

It would be really cool if this new chassis captures that spirit again. Like EMU said, I've had some of the most fun racing cars that are nearly stock and have low limits, because it really demands good driving!! You can't just plow through the pack with raw horsepower alone.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.07, 11:01 PM   #14
Felix2010

New Kyosho Mini-Z chassis?

Good info guys, thank you. I've wondered when a totally new-design Mini-Z would be released. Something to look forward to seeing this winter!
Old 2017.09.08, 07:03 AM   #15
arch2b

with an October release date on the various websites, we should be seeing these well before the holiday season.