Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.01.19, 12:23 PM   #1
HaCo
02-Racer

Finally received one!

It seems to be hard to get one here in Europe, but thanks to the guys from SRCC I was able to get one (the only one they got from Kyosho Europe).

Unpacked car, see attached file...

Did a first run on my attic, where I have a small carpet track. Big fun, handles like and FWD (what else? )!!! It's my Tamiya M-chassis in small scale.

Out of the box it has 30 degree tires, the rear end is a bit light, but still big fun and handling ok out of the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr_617_size640.jpg (66.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg fr_615_size640.jpg (66.6 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by HaCo; 2018.01.19 at 01:12 PM.
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.01.20, 10:16 AM   #2
HaCo
02-Racer

Race livery...
fr_636_size1024on Flickr

fr_637_size1024on Flickr
Old 2018.01.20, 11:14 AM   #3
Thorvald

Finally one of these in the "wild"!

Have you owned the AWD before? Just curious how it compares the AWD chassis as it originally looked like they just depopulated that chassis.

Did you print the race decals yourself or did they come in the kit? Really dresses up a boring body nicely.

---

I was hoping they'd release a VW UP body so I can make the "Sub 7Up" Nurburgring car that the crazy Russian Misha did up for Apex and uses to spank supercars on the Nordschleife lol.

Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.01.21, 02:42 AM   #4
HaCo
02-Racer

Hi,

Yes, I have an MA-010, MA-020 and now the MA-030F.

I don't really like the bottom battery compartment door. The battery layout and weight distribution is great, but access is harder then the previous models.

For the rest many parts are shared as you can see:
fr_646_size1024 on Flickr

I added more images here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAGLPhZ

I made the stickers myself with a vinyl cutter. The Mazda logo is the smallest I can plot I think.
https://www.silhouetteshop.be/portrait2.html

I also hope we will see more FWD models. The new Clio, or the old Clio Williams would be my preference :-)
Old 2018.01.23, 08:22 AM   #5
herman

How does it compare to the mr03 rear wheel drive? Guessing a lot less spin outs? Speed wise is it comparable to the stock mr03 as well? Mind posting a pic of the gear ratios? Thanks.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.01.23, 01:50 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Doers it look like you can do a direct swap of the PCB board with ASF?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.01.24, 11:57 AM   #7
HaCo
02-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
How does it compare to the mr03 rear wheel drive? Guessing a lot less spin outs? Speed wise is it comparable to the stock mr03 as well? Mind posting a pic of the gear ratios? Thanks.
Hi Herman,
It drives easier then an MR03. I'm still working on a setup, it's too early to compare times.
At the start I was running stock tires 30 degree all around. The rear end was quite loose, but it doesn't matter with this car, not like it would on an MR03. You can easily safe the car all the time.
Then I put some 20 degree tires on the back, from another car. The rear end didn't move at all, but I lacked a bit of steering, still very easy to drive.
Then I put some new 20 degree tires in the front: undrivable, the front had way more grip then the rear and it kind of stuck in the carpet.
So I swapped the new ones in front, with the old ones in the back: super car! I could use slightly more steering, but this car is so easy to drive, great!
Times are going down, but not there yet.

Then I had the idea to stick the front diff with thicker grease, in order to get more traction under acceleration. What an adventure: switching diffs, or spur gear seemed not so easy on this car. At a certain point my complete servo fell apart, but it all worked out okay in the end.

Step 1 is removing the motor with a screw and a clips:
Untitled by HaCo, on Flickr

Then (I thought) you have to remove the top cover, but you can only do this if you unscrew the servo motor, at least I thought:

Everything came apart at that point. In the end I think it was not necessary. When assembling I first put back the servo cover and then the front diff cover:

More images in the Flickr album if you want.

Next up is adding some camber, and verifying the gear ratio with the MR03's I run.

Stock GR on the FWD is 31/15 or 7,23:1, on my MR03 I run 43/6 (7,16) or 43/7 (6,14) I think. Reducing the gear ratio will also reduce wheelspin I think.

Then we can start comparing times I hope :-)
Old 2018.01.24, 11:21 PM   #8
herman

Thanks very much for your feedback. Highly appreciated. Was also wondering the same thing as arch... can you swap the board to a asf mr03 board? It would be one less controller to bring if it can be done.
Old 2018.01.24, 11:23 PM   #9
herman

Wondering if a front one way diff would be any better?
Old 2018.01.25, 06:34 AM   #10
arch2b

Quote:
Thanks very much for your feedback. Highly appreciated. Was also wondering the same thing as arch... can you swap the board to a asf mr03 board? It would be one less controller to bring if it can be done.
I'll be a bit more blunt, if I cannot swap an ASF or MHS board into the chassis, I will not buy it. I will not drag along multiple transmitters and certainly not switching everything over to FHSS at this point.
Old 2018.01.25, 06:43 AM   #11
herman

Oh and another thing... does it finally track or go straight? My experience with awd is that I can hardly make it go straight. It annoyingly veers off to one side ever so slightly... hope this isn't the case with the fwd...
Old 2018.01.25, 12:50 PM   #12
HaCo
02-Racer

Quote:
Thanks very much for your feedback. Highly appreciated.
You're welcome, happy to share it!

I think a one way would be a terrible choice, since you would have no brake at all, but it is always worth a try. I wanted to buy the Atomic solid front axle, it's a very nice part, but out of stock where I've checked.

Last edited by HaCo; 2018.01.25 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2018.01.25, 01:04 PM   #13
HaCo
02-Racer

Regarding the PCB...

First I had to remove the heat shrink from the antenna, it bothered me anyway, I prefer a narrow antenna.

Then, I opened up the pcb cover, to find out it is the same fit as for an ASF-board:

A disadvantage of the 4 pin connector is that it is not the traditional ICS connector for configuration, but a LED-board connector. Anyone know what kind of signals are on it?
Most importantly, the plus and minus are inverted compared to the ASF board 4-pin connector!

The transmitter looks a bit cheap, but is really a great transmitter. Feels good in the hand, very light. There is still a training mode on it, but throtle dual rate is missing, which I use for my kids. Steering dual rate is available.

I let the Tx on for 24hrs by accident, and only consumed 400mAh from my 4x AAA batteries which are required to operate the Tx.
Old 2018.01.25, 02:44 PM   #14
arch2b

so the port is a carry over from sports in which it's just power for accessories such as lights. thats disappointing as well as it means you need to ring terminal or hardwire a transponder.

interesting in that the PCB layout seems largely changed. are the FET's on the bottom?

Last edited by arch2b; 2018.01.26 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2018.01.26, 06:59 AM   #15
arch2b

can you tell if the pin out on the FHSS board for the servo and pot are the same order as ASF? Looks like the steering wires and power are routed to the bottom of the board.