Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.03.15, 08:06 AM   #1
solartech
r/c user

Any other lap counters avalable??

Are there any other lap counting systems out there? I have not seen any systems work very well other than the Amb transponder type. I am not going to name names and bash products but there has to be some thing else out there. I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 09:07 AM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
amb-it
lapz
ko propo
corespeeday
home made laser/flag system

those are all i can think of
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 09:38 AM   #3
wcrotty

Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion
wcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 09:49 AM   #4
El Tigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrotty
The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe
And you cant beat the $2 transponders.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 09:50 AM   #5
ruf
4play

So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:03 AM   #6
Ryan Gardner

Lap timers

If someone wants to buy a laser flag system off of me, you can make me an offer... It's this style: http://www.minizlapcounter.com for 6 cars...
It is not bad - but I am a big fan of internal antennas... always have been - always will be. Nothing throws the scale look off for me more than a gigantic antena that would be 9 feet long in scale length...
Ryan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:05 AM   #7
wcrotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.
I don't know if it counts 27 FM. I like 27Mhz also but i have been to too many big 10th scale races and see an entire main with 27 band people........the guys who qualified 7-10 had to find 75Mhz radios to borrow.

2008 PN World Champion
2006 PN World Champion
Old 2005.03.15, 09:59 AM   #8
wcrotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tigre
And you cant beat the $2 transponders.
$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?

2008 PN World Champion
2006 PN World Champion
Old 2005.03.15, 04:07 PM   #9
El Tigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrotty
$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?
I will try to, I went racing 1/10th sedans last Friday and got served. I am getting an HPI Pro4 tomorrow and may be working to get that going, also I may have to work my second job. If Scott is gonna show(as if there really is a way to be sure), I will be there to strongarm some stuff from him. If he does show up, bar the door and I will drop what I am doing.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 09:28 AM   #10
ruf
4play

Quote:
Originally Posted by solartech
I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.
I believe someone was talking about using this on Mini-Z. I've used them on 1/10 and they work well.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 01:25 PM   #11
mini-z racing
Team Losi

Send a message via AIM to mini-z racing
I heard the transponders are going to be $10 now,
www racingcity com
mini-z racing is offline   Reply With Quote