Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.11.25, 08:16 AM   #16
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ I think itll compare to the MR03 much the same the PN A-Arm does. They are both good, just different. I dont have much time behind the wheel of an 03 yet, but I have seen/driven one enough to know that the platform is going to be strong. I cant wait to try the 03 batt layout with the WTF2 installed I guess Ill be waiting for the new conversion (if its neccesary) or the MR2.5

IMO, the A-arm set up is a far better concept, its just that the MR02 wasnt designed for something like that. The bump steer kills it for me on anything faster than a 70t. With the 70t I can react to the car as it goes over bumps and eleavtion changes, and I dont notice the bump steer too much. With a faster motor, Im not quick enough to react and hold control of the car whenever it steers itself.

I think for tight windy tracks where a narrow track width, and agressive steering are needed, the A-arm front can be used to an advantage over the wide track cars. My A-arm car is 94mm and handles the infield awesomely. Ive got to be a little tender with it on sweepers, and in the brake zones. Im sure this would be better matched for the WTF cars on a perfectly flat track....but what fun would that be?

The WTF1 was a good product IMO. It was a simple design that gained a lot of advantage (mostly the reduced scrub). I run it to this day on my mod car, and its seen lots of big action. We ran this car as our prototype car for the enduro where we came in second overall (and in prototype) to reflex. I also ran it in pan car stock at the NJ regional where I had one of my best runs ever and ended up on the podium with EMU and Chad Nelson! I also ran it at the SC regional in pan car mod, where I hit 56 laps, which held me as 6th in the world for that class. Some pretty good company too. The drivers who went faster than me were, Grant, Phillip, Chad, and Dave G from PN, along with Jacob and Jonoathan from RR. Id say these results speak for the product when a non-rated driver like me can run with some of the best in the US!

I only see it getting better for me. The WTF2 provides nearly the same stability (Im actully glad is 1mm narrower (.5 each side), but has better steering characteristics. The castor makes cornering so much smoother, and the balance of camber to castor and toe is nearly perfect for me. I dont even think the extra toe rod was neccesary

When I get more time with this set up, Itll be as strong if not stronger than my other WTF car, and as far as our track goes, I think till outperform the A-arm car as well. The WT cars have so much stability over standard width cars, and the possibility of running wide cars with narrow offsets suits me a LOT. With a standard witdh LM car I was having to run 20d fronts to get the front bite I needed. By reducinng scrub I can go back to 30s, and still have the corner speed I need, (actually probably more) while reducing tire wear (due to scrub and compound choice). I also believe the harder compund tires are more consistant, as they go away slower. This is and advantage of all the aftermarket front ends over the standard 02, IMO.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.25, 08:24 AM   #17
MantisMMA
tire schredder

you should try the 13/51 combo with hot batteries!! especially if you have some good straights.

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.25, 08:53 AM   #18
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ Ill definitely try the 51t spur on the next layout. The one we put down now is for the HFAY BTE event, and its a tad small. I hit my fasest lap so far on 11/53 gearing. The next layout will be for an event in January, so itll for sure be fast!

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.25, 09:14 AM   #19
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
^ Yeah Marwan, post away! Itll take some of the heat off of me for keeping it updated, lol

Anyway, here is my full set up:

RR high grade MR02 bearings
RR96mm CF Hplate (medium I believe)
RR WTF2, with .5 PN knuckles
Kyosho ASC collection (dont remember which body) 0 front offset wheels
Kyosho 935 RSR rear wheels (a little taller like inch-ups)
Kyosho diff shaft, plates, and O-ring
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN delrin 14t pinion
QteQ diff housing and left wheel hub
QteQ wheel nuts, with bushing built onto left rear
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (blue/red)
PN LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down purple springs, shimmed to minimize droop to ~.5-1mm
Kyosho 20d radial rear tires, and 30d slick fronts

This was the end set up. I will go through a bit of what I did to end up with it like this as I get into explanations and critiques of the set up and products.
Thanks man! Here is my full ending set up. Amazing how similar it is to yours!

RR high grade MR02 bearings
RR96mm CF Hplate (6mm hard I believe)
RR WTF2, with 1.0 deg 3R LM knuckles (car sits lower with these)
PN 20mm Machined Delrin Rims -1 front +1 rear offsets
3R Ti diff shaft, Kyosho plates and O-ring
RR ceramic diff balls and H.G. ceramic "thrust" bearing
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN 64p 12t delrin pinion
QteQ diff housing and left wheel hub
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (green/blue)
PN v2 LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down green springs
Kyosho 20d slick rear tires
PN 20d slick fronts

Like you, this was my backup 96mm chassis. The one I race is practically identical but with a layer of 8858s and without the WTF2 on it. My goal with the WTF2 car was to bring the performance up to or better than my main car. I started out with Kyosho 30d slicks and soft springs on the front from my pre-WTF2 setup and the car traction rolled a lot. CT recommended the stiffer springs and PN 20d fronts and now the car handles VERY well.

I haven't raced it yet, so all testing has been on my relatively small home track. Once I add a layer of 8858s, the only difference between this chassis and my racing one will be the front setup. My plan is to take them both to my LHS and run some timed laps with both to see how they compare.

I took some closeup pics, but the quality stinks so I'm not going to bother posting them. Need to get a new camera.

Thanks for letting me share Landon!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.25, 09:27 AM   #20
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ Let us know how it works out at the rack. Your guys traction is very simiar to ours, so your results should be close as well! Im thinking of trying a touring body on this set up (the pan was just so easy ), and am leaning towards trying out the GTR. Let me know what you think of that body on this set up too....if you dont mind.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.25, 09:45 AM   #21
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I don't have a GTR body

Both my 96mm cars are under '05 350z bodies. My MR-03 should arrive today and I plan to set it up as a 96mm with an '05 350z too. Ordered some of the new G10 fiberglass RR 96mm T-Plates yesterday to give them a try.

Any guesses as to my current favorite body???
Old 2009.11.25, 10:19 AM   #22
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I have a GTR you can try out at 98mm if you want.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.25, 12:03 PM   #23
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Oops, I thought it was a pic of a GTR. Ive got the 350Z, and thats what I ran on it as a back-up car (and at the NJ regional). The 350Z ius just so low though, that I have problems with it catching on the inclines on our track.

Mike, I may take you up on that, if some one here doesnt drop me the same offer

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.29, 07:03 AM   #24
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Landon,

You've got to try the new RR G10 T-Plates on this set up. Mine arrived yesterday and I substituted a medium G10 plate for the hard 96mm RR CF plate on my WTF2 car and noticed significant improvement in rear traction. I don't have a medium 96mm CF plate to compare to the medium G10 because I have only been using the hard CF plates. But with the medium G10 in the rear I was able to go back to my K30d fronts with no traction rolling and better front grip.

Can't wait to get this car down to HSH.

Nice job CT/RR. Think you should make the G10s for MM 94/98 setups as well!
Old 2009.11.29, 07:48 AM   #25
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

they make fiberglass plates already. kyosho and atomic
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.29, 11:17 AM   #26
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

not the same as rr's
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.29, 12:19 PM   #27
CristianTabush

Yes, the Kyosho and atomic FRP plates are made out of really thin fiberglass... Ours is a little bit thicker that for some reason works much better than the atomic or Kyosho Material, at least on RCP. For the MR-03, we will make H-plates for both MM and 96mm set-ups. They are already being manufactured. As for FRP plates, similar to ours in 94mm, try the 3racing ones. I just feel they are a little on the stiff side, but the softest one is still usable.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.29, 01:44 PM   #28
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
CT, I havent seen 3Racing FRP plates... Maybe Im not looking in the right places. The Kyosho and ATM ones are too soft for my driving style. I use only med/hard Kyosho CF plates. I need to try some of the RR 96mm FRP plates, and want to try the 3Racing. I think the FRP has less memory than the CF, and has a smoother load/unload.
Old 2009.11.29, 02:44 PM   #29
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Part number MZII-001/FG on 3R site. Says its a new arrival. Will have to try some. Assume CT will stock at some point.
Old 2009.11.29, 04:43 PM   #30
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

i see i see.
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote