Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2019.02.12, 12:23 PM   #46
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Sorry to drag this off course...

Any tips or lessons learned? I’ll offer the following;
- Locktite the hub set screw
- have a spare transmitter battery stick if possible vs. having to pop out the cells and put new in
I've been thinking a lot about this since Saturday. Arch2b and Mike bring up good points.

My main lesson learned was to make your car comfortable to drive! I think I was focused a little too much on speed. If I had slowed the car down a tenth or two, I think I could have made that time up plus some by hitting the barriers less.
Old 2019.02.12, 08:11 PM   #47
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I should have pulled the car in to the pits and adjusted the differential more during our runs. There was one t-plate screw that had backed out a bit early on in the race, when the car had started acting funny mid race, my thoughts went to this screw rather than the differential which had started tightening up due to the heat of running for so long. I loosened the differential 3x in the race, but this proved to be insufficient. By the last stint, I loosened it up just enough, and then the car finally started behaving properly again.

In preparation for the race, I had wanted to use a gear differential. Fridays practice, I couldnt get that car working properly, and the gear diff had given shorter runtime than the 64p ball diff, so the decision was made to use a ball diff. I think with more prep on the track, the gear diff would have been the right choice, but it was hard to get the car up to pace with the limited gearing options provided with the gear diff along with how much it changed during the race.

Getting proper ball diff adjustment in the race would have made it much easier for my team to run consistent laps. GIHOSU always seemed to have the tightest differential, and I would loosen it after his stint.

This seemed to be the biggest issue for us. A slightly softer top spring would have given a little more rear stability for us, however it would need more throttle input to steer the car in the corners. In Fridays practice, I could run 7.0s laps through the whole battery pack while barely pushing the car. Driving at 60% aggressiveness, the car had so much pace. But when the rear end started locking up, that pace was lost exiting the corners.

This error was on me, as I was nervous to lose the time to get it adjusted properly, and was uncertain as to whether the differential was the problem, or if it was a different underlying issue in the rear end (broken bearing). This car was setup for a Kyosho LM30 front tire, by so it had more aggressive camber gain and top shock spring to rotate the car through the corner. Switching to the PN firm front, which I think worked quite well, the steering was able to take much less slip angle, but carried considerably more speed through the corner. The balance of the chassis was good, as long as the we could drive straight off the corners well (which we could not do mid race). This balance and rotation that the car had allowed very little need for throttle in the infield sections, and helped save a considerable amount of battery through a run. Sometimes too much as the cells would get cold, and wake up when I would start to push to end the stint, giving them a second wind so to speak.

Overall, I was happy with the way that our car worked when it was working well. I just should have been more on top of the loss in rear traction as I feel that it cost us at least 30 laps if not more in errors and lost pace.

The first set of rear wheels we used 21mm rear wheels. We switched to 20mm rear wheels from then onwards to try to gain rear traction and lower the rollout. I think that change helped, as we were slightly over geared on the first stint. I think we may have run the tallest gearing of the race with a 14/52.
Old 2019.02.12, 08:53 PM   #48
Mike Keely

We were geared at 11/53
Old 2019.02.12, 10:23 PM   #49
EMU
EMUracing

I figured you guys were geared relatively low. I kept the higher gearing because the car coasted better through the corners with the taller gearing. The shorter gearing I found that more throttle needed to be used and provided less runtime for this setup.

Your lower gearing could be why shawn didn't like using the slower batteries in his first stint.

We used a variety of different cells for the race. Amazon silver "eneloop pro", eneloop pro, peak 900 and PN900. I liked the amazon cells the best, followed by the PN900, and the eneloop pro/pn900 came up in the rear. The Amazon silver seemed to keep voltage well, and always had good squirt off the corner. The eneloop pro may not have had enough cycles in them, or weren't charged close enough to my run. They seemed to run flat, and only really woke up once I started to push them. This was the same for the peak 900. There were times that I thought the pack was dumping and just started to push for them to come back in.
Old 2019.03.01, 08:55 PM   #50
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Video finally uploaded!

it took two weeks to edit, export and upload but you can finally re-watch the entirety (minus about 10 minutes in the middle) of the endurance race HERE.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.02, 04:41 AM   #51
EMU
EMUracing

As much as I want to relive the race... my arm still hurts just thinking about it. I will definitely watch through some of it... but it will hurt to watch the amount of time we struggled with a mishandling car while trying to figure it out as we turned the laps.

Thanks for doing the video ray... I'm sure the editing and encoding time was extensive.
Old 2019.03.02, 08:10 AM   #52
Qball41

I originally found the 2 parts of the video on the Washington GTG social media page. I've watched a little over 5 hours of it.

Thanks for doing the video Ray!

Last edited by mleemor60; 2019.03.02 at 11:52 AM.
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote