Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.23, 08:19 PM   #1
byebye

Byebye's Porsche 906 86mm class build thread

Well I received this body from Mr. Arch2b this past race weekend as we are switching to 86mm class in a few months. Everyone knows how high this body sits on the chassis and me being me I really dislike it...Anyway I chopped it up and made some chassis changes and this is what I came up with. Enjoy!

To make this work-
  • Grind the inside of the front of the body
  • Remove and modify the side mount area so that you can get it seated as high up in the body as possible
  • Reverse the king pins
  • PN Racing RM motor mount
  • 17mm round motor by Atomic
  • Use the F40 carbon front body mount with the PN adapter and flip the adapter
  • I used the stock wheels and tires. The rears are from the asc. The fronts are Kyosho 40
I am also running the PN 90RM mount and multi-length disk damper. I used the stock kyosho plastic rear shock post mounted to the motor mount without the aluminum stand-offs. I just ran a machine screw through the top down into the motor mount.

I ran a few laps and no issues!. I really thought the rear would rub but it doesn't. It could use a wing and the tires will need to be taped or glued.

Last edited by byebye; 2014.03.28 at 08:38 PM.
byebye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.23, 09:01 PM   #2
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Sweet looking!

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.23, 09:19 PM   #3
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz View Post
Sweet looking!
Thank you.

I had to nip the kingpins and that made a huge difference in the handling. I guess it was dragging.

I did use some 30 fronts and those are the right tires for race day. The 40's give you that slight bit of understeer needed for those stock asc radial tires.

The grip at our track is pretty consistent so I imagine the 40's will work. I haven't searched yet if they make a high grip radial for the 906.

Last edited by byebye; 2014.03.24 at 08:35 AM.
Old 2014.03.24, 07:34 AM   #4
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Nice! What are your thoughts on the 35T Plus?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 03:22 PM   #5
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Nice! What are your thoughts on the 35T Plus?
It's smooth and not a torque monster like the regular T2. It's way too much motor for this setup. Could be better with a 70t but I haven't tried that yet.

Added some chassis and transponder pic.
Old 2014.03.24, 06:29 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Cool

What rear damper is that? I have the Kyosho oil shock on mine and that eats up space I could use for the transponder
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 07:15 PM   #7
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
What rear damper is that? I have the Kyosho oil shock on mine and that eats up space I could use for the transponder
It's the PN damper.
Old 2014.03.24, 09:32 PM   #8
arch2b

what other options are available for the nose clip? that seems to be the biggest stumbling block as i only use the stock plastic nose clips. i'd like to get mine down at least half as low.

what did you use to get he body clips out? mine are in there night and tight.
Old 2014.03.25, 05:40 AM   #9
byebye

Quote:
what other options are available for the nose clip? that seems to be the biggest stumbling block as i only use the stock plastic nose clips. i'd like to get mine down at least half as low.

what did you use to get he body clips out? mine are in there night and tight.
Other options are styrene only. Styrene with the PN adapter or matching a mount dimensionally from another body and modify it.

I think you should get the adapter and a sheet of styrene and go at it

To get the body clips out I used a small flat tip and pried them gently. You will need to trim the mounts inside the body and don't forget to shave a little off the top of the clip(45deg cut). The body is very curved there and the clip will not seat fully if you don't trim. Just remember to dry fit everything before you glue.
Old 2014.03.25, 06:45 PM   #10
arch2b

well, tried to pop the mounts off very carefully and they took 90% of the fins with them so looks like that is a bust for me lets hope goop can hold them in. i set them 2mm down from bottom out on the body so it's at least a 2mm drop. i poured goop in the front end to make sure the buckets don't break out as well.

Last edited by arch2b; 2014.03.25 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2014.03.25, 08:56 PM   #11
byebye

Quote:
well, tried to pop the mounts off very carefully and they took 90% of the fins with them so looks like that is a bust for me lets hope goop can hold them in. i set them 2mm down from bottom out on the body so it's at least a 2mm drop. i poured goop in the front end to make sure the buckets don't break out as well.
Darn...I've contemplated getting the white body and doing it right instead of trial and error. 2mm is more than before and still a significant drop.
Old 2014.03.25, 09:09 PM   #12
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Ray, had that happen to me already. I gooped hot glue on clip area. Worked great.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.27, 07:55 PM   #13
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz View Post
Ray, had that happen to me already. I gooped hot glue on clip area. Worked great.
filled with goop, then a layer of shoe goo to top that off.

now a bigger problem... the body is 2-3 mm lower and the stock RM pod is hitting the read deck lid. looks like i need to go back to stock, don't really want to buy another brushless motor.
Old 2014.03.28, 04:39 AM   #14
byebye

Quote:
filled with goop, then a layer of shoe goo to top that off.

now a bigger problem... the body is 2-3 mm lower and the stock RM pod is hitting the read deck lid. looks like i need to go back to stock, don't really want to buy another brushless motor.
Really? I'm running the PN rm pod and a 17mm motor. Interesting. I would not have thought it would hit. Got pics?
Old 2014.03.28, 06:32 PM   #15
arch2b

see the attached. zero movement between the body and body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (6).jpg (164.4 KB, 18 views)