Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.01.05, 07:45 AM   #1
Ka0sgh0st

best 94MM RM body for racing

What's the best 94mm RM body for racing? I'm planning to run it in the stock class if/when I get to go racing, and I'm thinking about buying the Lamborghini Jota readyset (for the body to run at home when not racing) but want to swap to a better body for racing.

I have an Audi R8 LMS 2015 that I am going to set up for the modified rules at the track.

also I figure the Jota, as I've heard isnt too good for racing because it's top heavy, and the 94mm RM style, I figured if the wife ever raced me, the upgrades and better performance of the Audi should make up the difference between our driving skills. And if she wins I can simply blame the car, lol.
Ka0sgh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.05, 08:11 AM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The Jota handles very well for a narrow body. It was one of my fastest narrow 70t narrow cars (class restriction was narrow track width and bodies that could not run with wide front).

It is a very unforgiving body. The front likes to dig in and it will do a cartwheel with almost any wall contact.

F430Gt is an excellent 94mm body for RM. If you upgrade to an MM2 or 94mm MM mount, it opens a whole new world of handling possibilities.

360gtc was one of the most popular 94mm bodies, it handles neutral makes good traction, and well suited for medium size tracks. Any of the Ferrari 360/430 are good.

The 2004/5 jgtc 350z is great for lower traction conditions, however it's rare and expensive for a racer.

Overall, I think the f430gt would be my recommendation, it requires the least work to run well. A damper on an RM setup is almost a necessity.
Old 2019.01.05, 08:43 AM   #3
Ka0sgh0st

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The Jota handles very well for a narrow body. It was one of my fastest narrow 70t narrow cars (class restriction was narrow track width and bodies that could not run with wide front).

It is a very unforgiving body. The front likes to dig in and it will do a cartwheel with almost any wall contact.

F430Gt is an excellent 94mm body for RM. If you upgrade to an MM2 or 94mm MM mount, it opens a whole new world of handling possibilities.

360gtc was one of the most popular 94mm bodies, it handles neutral makes good traction, and well suited for medium size tracks. Any of the Ferrari 360/430 are good.

The 2004/5 jgtc 350z is great for lower traction conditions, however it's rare and expensive for a racer.

Overall, I think the f430gt would be my recommendation, it requires the least work to run well. A damper on an RM setup is almost a necessity.
I'm not sure if I can run a damper at the track. I havent been able to get out and see, as I've worked every Saturday race day since I first heard that there was racing.

I attached the rules that the track posted.

I currently have the 2015 Audi R8 LMS that other than the motor is stock. with the 94mm RM car I'm wanting something different and really like the Jota body.

Would I be better off running the Audi R8 (which is 98mm MM?) for the stock class and the 94mm RM for the super stock?

as far as bodies, how does the Ferrari 575 GTC body fair when racing? at first I thought it was ugly, but the more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it.

Also, could the Jota body be competitive in the super stock class? or would it be better suited for the stock class?

I suppose I should get to the track, but really need to get some time off. first chance I get that they are racing I'm going. I'll put the stock motor back into the Audi and race in stock and check out the rest if the classes. But I do want something to fill both classes with, and be different enough as well.

of I could fibd one, the Takata Dome NSX 2005 body looks interesting. but I doubt I'd ever find one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190105_092904.jpg (152.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Ka0sgh0st; 2019.01.05 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2019.01.05, 08:33 PM   #4
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I never was a huge fan of the 575 handling.... it felt a bit sluggish and tail heavy.

Im a big fan of the Supra as well as the F430. The Supra is a bit more neutral than the F430 which i felt was nicely agile.

Id stay with your original thought of stock 94mm and super stock 98mm

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.05, 10:56 PM   #5
TeeSquared
Redline

The GT86/BRZ body is outstanding for 94mm. It's extremely lightweight and has good front-to-back balance. I ran it both 94mm mid motor and rear motor and enjoyed both. RM was slower but a little more fun to drive. This was all on stock 70t/80t motors.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.06, 12:41 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

More motor will bring out the weaknesses of the RM arrangement more. If grip is low, would be the only time that the RM would really be competitive.

The Jota could be a fun car, but it won't really be competitive. In a class of similarly specced narrow stock motor cars, it could do well, but I don't think it would in an open 70t class.
Old 2019.01.06, 11:41 PM   #7
herman

Heres something that might help...
Mini-z body guide ---> click here

Shows a list of bodies with wheel offsets...
I saw the 575 with 2N/3W rim offsets, and initially thought it would be pretty good... as it is wide and stable... haven't actually raced it though... with the body overhanging over the front and rear tires, looks a bit stocky compared to other cars...

The nsx has lesser body overhang in the front and rear and with 2N/2W offset seems pretty good... other bodies to look into... Ferrari 360 (1N/1W), and supra (0N/0W)... I just recently tried a stock brushless gt86... with gear diff and bearings... and was pleasantly surprised...

I guess you just have to try out the bodies that interest you and try to see which one you like to drive... and which one fits your driving style... good luck...

Last edited by herman; 2019.01.07 at 09:18 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.07, 12:45 AM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

For narrow bodies, the 350z is very well balanced with short overhangs, and is very nimble.
Old 2019.01.07, 09:19 PM   #9
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
For narrow bodies, the 350z is very well balanced with short overhangs, and is very nimble.
Kinda forgot about that one...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 01:05 AM   #10
SuperFly
bitPimp

I got a new-to-me Ferrari 575 GPC a little while ago, and have been driving it for the first time. I put some of the R246 Ray's CE28N Bronze wheels on it, and I found +2.5 both front and rear works just right. With fresh tires, +3 in the rear would rub, and there's enough room to do +2.5 up front without any rubbing.

I find it a very balanced car, maybe slightly tubby, kind of like the JGTC NSX, but lower and flatter feeling. Very stable.

I also have a Calsonic 350z at 94mm MM, and it's a challenge to drive. Very nimble, but very darty, and very wall-grabby.

mini-z gallery
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 01:59 AM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

Have you removed the sides of the splitter and canards on the 350z?
Old 2019.01.08, 02:49 PM   #12
Ka0sgh0st

Well they added more classes. The Jota would fit in to 2 classes now. I think that's what I'll get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190108_154428.jpg (335.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 2019.01.08, 03:58 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka0sgh0st View Post
Well they added more classes. The Jota would fit in to 2 classes now. I think that's what I'll get.
I see some flaws in the class design, since replacement wheels are not available for most of the bodies. I like the idea of the class, but there are a few things that stand out.

Check that the wheels on the body are not classic wheels, otherwise no available tires besides LM fronts would work. There are no available classic tires anymore.

What club are you racing at? There is only one class that isn't restricted to the specific wheel of the body. I have broken quite a few kyosho wheels, and not being able to get replacements is a big issue right now.

There are a lot of unnecessary restrictions, like the fragile kyosho stock t-plates. We switched to upgraded t-plates in our box stock classes because so many were breaking every race.

All of our classes permit wheel replacement, as it is necessary to keep people on track. I don't want to tell anyone how to make their rules, however, I feel that adjustments shield be made to keep people on track as much as possible. The box stock class that we run at 4 different regional tracks permits only durability upgrades (t-plate, wheel nuts), and bearings. With the RWD cars mostly coming with bearings, every car should be permitted bearings for parity.
Old 2019.01.08, 04:34 PM   #14
LJH

I ran a bunch of different bodies this past weekend on my Mini-96 track. I did my first "white body" which is a 360GTC, the second attempt came out well. As people said it VERY agile, it actually took me awhile before I came to appreciate it. If you concentrate it is FAST......but it has a habit of flipping when you hit the armco. I am running my 94MM Chassis with an Atomic 94MM V5 MM and a PN Dampener. I played with the springs in the dampener and that made it slightly more manageable but it is still a VERY "active" body. The next time I run it I am going to try adding more toe and see if that simmers it down a bit. With that said the 360 did hold onto the FTD out of cars running the PN70T but it was not very consistent and and I had a very hard time getting a clean 20 lap stint that I usually run.

Next up was the 575, I have always been a fan of Ferrari's big V12 GT cars. As the folks above said it is VERY stable, maybe more so then my 98MM Honda HSV which I had to work hard on loosening up. The 575 was a couple 10th off the pace of the 360 but it would bang out lap after lap with .05s separation and I was able to pull off "clean" 20 laps stints easily.

I have been running PN70's for the last couple weeks but for giggles I wanted to try a faster motor. I found a Atomic ZF Stock motor (48T) or a good price the other week and bought it. I installed it in the 94MM chassis and at first I thought it was too much for the tight confines on the Mini-96 track. After a couple hundred laps I started to get use to it, the motor is super linear and actually easy to drive but I needed to learn throttle control which you really do not need with the PN70. As I got more comfortable the lap times started to fall and he car was flying......MY FTD for the day had been 5.33 with my 70T R8LMS. Once I got a handle on the new found power I pulled off a few laps at 5.08. Having more power that is so tractable is super fun, you can rotate the car with the throttle pretty much anywhere. I need to try this motor with the 575 and see if that wakes it up at all.

While totally different I finally got all the parts assembled to put together a 86/90MM RM Car. I ran a 935 body and that was super fun as well and not nearly as sketchy as I thought it would be. It actually felt like a full size rear engine Porsche which was neat. I have both a GT1 and a F40 white bodies which I am now even more excited to get painted and run at this wheelbase. They may not be the fastest things around the track but they are fun.......

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by LJH; 2019.01.08 at 04:38 PM.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.08, 04:57 PM   #15
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I have both a GT1 and a F40 white bodies which I am now even more excited to get painted and run at this wheelbase. They may not be the fastest things around the track but they are fun.......

Cheers,
Jim
The +1/+2 Porsche 911 GT1 will surprise you. I run it with the PN 90-94 MM mount/damper, It handles so well and is so nimble. The F40 will traction roll a little easier, so you have to drive it a little more carefully, but is also really fun to drive.

After starting in 94mm cars, and moving to 98 and 102 with >+1 offsets, I was skeptical about getting shorter, but it hasn't been a problem at all. Especially with a mini-96 track, or even most HFAY-size layouts, 90mm works great.

mini-z gallery
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote