Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.16, 05:09 PM   #1
philophob

MR010 AWD that much better than MR02/015?

Hello all.
I am thinking about getting second Mini-Z car. (Mini-Z is so addictive! I can't help it, someone stop me!! )
I have been reading/researching the web/forums all day yesterday and today. Please excuse my noob-ness if I make stupid statements on this post and if I am wrong please correct me.

I think I should be getting 2.4Ghz ASF Mini-Z since it looks like Kyosho is pushing their Mini-Z line towards that way.
But I read mixed reviews on 2.4Ghz ASF Zs. Most of it is about how new Tx is not good and shutdown problem caused by Tx.
I guess not all ASF products are like that but still holding me back on the decision.

Anyways, I have RM015 and would like to try AWD for my 2nd Mini-Z.
From very limited researching/readings on my part, it sounds like AWD is much better than 2WD(MR02/MR015).
Also AWD has tons of parts for hop-ups.
In what aspects, AWD is so superior compared to 2WD(MR02/MR015)?
I have only driven RM015 so I wouldn't know a thing about AWD.
Also when drifting, I find it impossible to drift with 2WD unlike real cars. There is just no way to control the throttle and break precisely for drifting with 2WD Zs. I read somewhere that only AWD Zs can drift easily? Or am I missing entire drift with Mini-Z?
Can experienced AWD drivers give me some thoughts/recommendations/feedbacks on AWD Mini-Z?

I guess I need to get RTR 2.4Ghz ASF AWD Mini-Z when they become available. Or, get the AWD chasis and buy the conversion kit and Tx separately.
I read about Helio(?), AD band stuffs for not quite understood about them just yet.
If someone can lead me to AD band stuff info, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much for reading my long post.
Happy Z-ing!
philophob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.16, 06:29 PM   #2
byebye

I personally prefer 2wd over the 4wd car. The MR-02 out of the box will last longer and is easier to learn to drive than the awd out of the box. The ma-010 has a higher center of gravity and is heavier than the MR-02. You also need an extension kit to run 98mm cars.

The MA-010 is also takes more to setup than an MR-02. The MA-010's drive train also needs an upgrade once you start adding more power.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.16, 09:24 PM   #3
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I think the MR cars (the RWD racers) seem to handle better than the MA010 AWD will, out of the box anyway. The big limit is suspension travel, particularly the rear section. On the MA010 the rear knuckles are the same as the front parts. That stiffness, makes for a car that is unpredictable. The Atomic SAS suspension can solve that, but that isn't what comes out of the box.

The AWD MA010 is a good car if you don't mind dropping the money. There are alot of parts to drop that cash on here.

The racers only need upgrades if you are in a heated competition, but other than that these are fine out of the box.

Drifting is never easy, some videos can make it look easy. Compared to a 1/10 car the Mini Z size car is more of a handfull. With that said the AWD is a better choice for drifting than a racer. With a RWD you have to pay alot of attention to braking/throttle control, that is alot easier with a real car that you sit in than an RC car. With RC cars all you have is hand/eye to go by. Also the added problems of the car comming toward you, going left to right, right to left, and not just going away from you. With all that going on it makes it harder to judge the turn. Because of that AWD cars are more common as RC drifters than RWD cars are.
Old 2008.03.17, 01:07 AM   #4
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
Drifting the AWD is fun, but to drift it well is a task of its own. It is alot smaller than a 1/10 scale, and all the minor little tiny differences make a much bigger difference. but bashing around the track with drift tires on is a blast, regardless of setup.
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.17, 01:33 AM   #5
ruf
4play

Based on our testing and competition, the AWD is faster around the track. It also requires a lot more setup, patience, and a different driving style. I personally don't find that the rear suspension travel makes the car unpredictable, but there are a lot of little details about the preparing the chassis that can definitely add up to a squirrelly car. Keep in mind that the MA-010 is relatively new and we've had a LOT of time to work the wrinkles out of the old MR-02 chassis.

If you want to drift, there is no other choice but AWD. No one does R/C drift without 4WD. The dynamics at this scale prevent 2WD from working like full scale. Once I FINALLY get that silly AWD setup sheet finished, I'll post it with Cristian's and pchan's race setups and a drift setup from our boys up at Inside Line Racing.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.17, 03:50 AM   #6
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
Based on our testing and competition, the AWD is faster around the track. It also requires a lot more setup, patience, and a different driving style.
I agree with this as well. I have found that the two different surfaces where I run (low/medium-grip RCP and carpet) the AWD is the better car. Out of the box the mr02 may have the advantage, but I find as power increases the AWD is much better. I think people get the AWD, it doesn't immediately handle like thier dialed-in mr02, so they just set it aside. It's a great chassis, it just takes time to get it right. Plus I like to power out of corners, and the mr02 rear steers a bit too much for me, which is why I feel a bit more 'on edge' when driving the mr02.

Available at www.Maine-iac-motors-rc.com

Last edited by Flashsp-2; 2008.03.17 at 05:19 AM.
Flashsp-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.19, 06:53 PM   #7
Tjay

2wd... because you don't want training wheels... j/k .
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote