Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.07.22, 10:47 AM   #1
imxlr8ed

Railyard Racing, July-December 2014...

Railyard Hobbies
100 Heritage Drive
Elverson, PA 19520

https://www.railyardhobbies.com/

As to avoid confusion with the other threads out there, I'm putting this thread up for our races and events for our small scale on-road program at Railyard. As of now we have approximately 500 square feet of RCP track there for use. Railyard now has an excellent inventory of RTR kits, chassis and aftermarket racing grade parts as well!

The Rental track is always available for practice and tuning all business hours, and there is a fleet of rental Mini-Z available for practice and some pick up races as well! Inquire with the shop for fees that will apply.

Our club is more about the fun of RC racing and less about the drama! It does get just as serious sometimes but none of our crew are hotheads (well maybe one or two on rare occasions) and all of our racers are more than willing to help out with issues anywhere from tuning to purchases, even to driving tips! We've been having a great time at our new home at Railyard and we hope you'll join us for the best, most innovative scale of on-road racing out there!

We've confirmed the below schedule with Railyard through December. The dates below are when we will have the RCP track set up to race with our Club lap counting system and one or more of our club members will be on hand to help out with any issues.

The dates below are all Sundays, 11am to 6pm. We usually start our heats around 1pm - 2pm and start our mains around 3pm - 4pm.

I will update who plans to be there and who has attended as our schedule progresses. (asterisk designates dates past)

Schedule, July - December:

07/06: Ed, Larry, Al, Quinn, Gordon *

07/20: Al, Quinn, Ed *

08/03: Al, Larry, Ed, Quinn, Andy, Gordon, Chad, GK, AF *

08/24: Al, Eric, Larry, Ed, Quinn, Gordon, Andy, Mike *

09/14: Al, Eric, Larry, Ed, Mike *

10/5: Al, Larry, Eric, Mike, Andy, Ed, Gordon *

10/26:
20 racers total *

11/23: Al, Larry, Gordon, Henry, Eric, Quinn, Ed *

12/14:

12/21:

Tech Regulations:

Racer (Closed Ratio):

6 or 7 tooth Pinion gear and Stock Differential only! (allowable to use locking collar on left side)
Kyosho chassis (MR01, MR015, MR02, MR03)
Iwaver chassis (01, 02M, 04M)
2WD only
Any mass produced, injection molded body for 1/28th scale racing.
No lexan bodies
90-102mm wheelbase
No open wheels
Any electronics
PN 70turn bag stock motors or box stock, no mods, break-ins and comm drops only.
(4) NiMH AAA cells only

Racer (Open Ratio)

Any gearing
Kyosho chassis (MR01, MR015, MR02, MR03, MA010, MA015, MA020,)
Iwaver chassis (01, 02M, 04M)
Xmod chassis (Gen 1, Gen 2)
2WD or AWD
Any mass produced, injection molded body for 1/28th scale racing.
No lexan bodies
90-102mm wheelbase
No open wheels
Any electronics
PN 70turn bag stock motors or box stock, no mods, break-ins and comm drops only.
(4) NiMH AAA cells only

Mod:

Any chassis, carbon or otherwise
2WD or AWD
Body scale must fall in or near 1/28th, lexan or injection
90-102mm wheelbase
No open wheels
Any motor (brushless included)
Rubber tires only (no high content silicone)
Any battery

F1:

Kyosho F1 chassis only (MF01, MF015)
Kyosho F1 bodies only
No lexan bodies
Any electronics
Aftermarket wings and front bumpers allowed
PN 70turn bag stock, Atomic 60turn bag stock or factory box stock, no mods, break-ins and comm drops only
Rubber tire only (no high content silicone)
(4) NiMH AAA cells only

*No traction compounds allowed in any classes! You may use water, rubbing alcohol or WD40 to clean tires between races.*

Transponders and lap counter services are included in the race fees. $10 race fee per driver on our club days. We use the GiroZ system for our club races and you can purchase your own GiroZ transponder from our club for $30. We do offer loaner transponders as well but if you get serious about racing these cars, always easier to have your own.

We have been out here at Railyard for around 6 months so far but we have been racing these cars for more than a decade! There's not much we don't know about this scale! Any questions, either stop by and check us out or PM me here and I'll do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2014.12.01 at 08:24 AM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.23, 11:32 AM   #2
imxlr8ed

Had a very long discussion with Al about our current status and path of our little race club and we are trying to pin down some ideas. These are just ideas and open to discussion, anyone can interject anything... I want to hear ideas. I think our best option to be more inclusive is this:

LMP Class:
*removed*

Just 6 tooth and stock diffs you might ask? Well, in Al's experimentations with his Sport Series cars he has pretty much determined that with the right tires they are easily just as fast as any car we have out there. Suspensions, electronics, fancy radios... we all have them, we all love them... let's keep it simple and continue to use them. Switching over to 6 tooth and stock diffs incurs no cost whatsoever so why not at least try it?

Racer Stock:
...will be the exact same thing as it is now but I want to open it up to 102mm wheelbase as well. Easy enough, right?

F1 Stock:
No change

Racer Mod:
No change

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2014.08.05 at 05:00 PM.
Old 2014.07.23, 06:53 PM   #3
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Just my 2 cents worth..... Whatever we do, im usually on board. That being said....running a 6t pinion/stock diff will do asbsolutly nothing to get more racers. We have guys that have run with us for a long time that dont run much...tied up with other things etc..Since we are at the RailYard, a couple
new guys got cars. Have not seen them come to run much. What we run has nothing to do with it. Its like every Z club.
When we ran LM all day a couple weeks ago, all of us were within tenths of each other. as a matter of fact, when you ran my car testing, you had a faster time then I. Its all about the least mistakes.
Same with batts....i have a couple of OLD matched cells. The rest are just run of the mill. I just keep newer batts every year...and actually discharge them before race day. then charge them the night before. Heck, most of time i only peak my batts race day. Dont even charge them race day.
Like i said whatever...im on board. All Z clubs are having trouble getting more people. Its just the way it is, not what/how we run.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.24, 08:17 AM   #4
abasualdo

Both Ed and Larry make good points. If our goal is to bring in new racers, maybe the best way to achieve that goal is to showcase the entry level product, the MR03S sport series cars.

I think the best way to bring in new racers is to show that we can have fun and be competitive with a more economical package.

What do you guys think, box stock MR03 Sports with handout batteries?
abasualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.24, 10:43 AM   #5
imxlr8ed

My only issue with box stock is... it's box stock.

At least tires, bearings, T-plates, bearings and alloy knuckles... right?

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.07.24, 11:58 AM   #6
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Let's get a sport...use the radio that comes with. Bearings..tplate. ..tires..springs. just decide on gt or lm.

Old 2014.07.24, 12:08 PM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
My only issue with box stock is... it's box stock.

At least tires, bearings, T-plates, bearings and alloy knuckles... right?
sounds like your headed the same direction we ended up. box stock is well, to box stock and a hindrance to long term growth as it will serve to frustrate and annoy entry level drivers with annoyance in purchasing replacement parts, degraded performance of bushings over shorter period of time, etc. we went with optional h plates, wheels/tires, bearings, wheel nuts, and specific corrections to stock wiring only. bearings should be included in box stock to begin with. silly to force people to buy an whole parts kit for a single plastic h plate that could be sold in bulk. wiring fixes are more practical than required but we went with it after having a particular day in which many dropped out of races with snapped motor leads. i counter this by offering replacements to anyone that wants them, free.

it's a tuff line to toe as there are always good requests that come up but open the door to a bunch of others if permitted. find a good line and hold straight

Last edited by arch2b; 2014.07.24 at 12:12 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.24, 01:40 PM   #8
imxlr8ed

Here's my main point to why I want to keep it simple with 70turn, 6 tooth and stock diff.

I want anyone with an 02, a fetted 01, any non FHS Mini-Z... basically anything and everything that has been built or devised up until now when it comes to a 2WD chassis... to be able to join in and race.

I run 02s, call me crazy but I'm not a fan of the 03s. Out of the two 03s I have owned, I had experienced all kinds of breakages and stripouts. One was sold and one is in a plastic bag downstairs waiting for a grey plastic chassis which apparently will never be sold again? I think the front of the chassis on the 03 is way weaker than it should be. That's just me and my smelly opinon.

So... "Buy a Sport model and you can race with us."? Meh... most newbies are going to want to do stuff to their cars along with all of the other replacement parts they are gonna end up buying just to stay running. Besides... I don't really want to buy a Sport model, just that simple. I'm sure if Kyosho would have done the smart thing and put the Sport on a more viable radio protocol (Like ASF, Spectrum, FHSS, or any other hobby grade radio system) I'm sure I'd be singing a different song right now. To me, the FHS choice was a huge step BACKWARDS for where these cars need to go. They had the KT18, they had the ASF deal already going for the Z line-up... were they really paying that much money out to KOPropo for each Z sold? I doubt it! I'll bet there is a monster profit margin on the 03 Sports the way they are produced now. It's business and I totally get it but jeez man... FHS?!?!

sorry, sidetracked a bit

Anyways, I say we try the 6 tooth and stock diff combo on the 3rd and see where we end up from there.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.07.24, 01:57 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
looking around... i will never buy a sports series kit myself, just because of the TX alone. that being said, Hobby Works sells through all of them every time they restock. VE are much harder to sell than sports series and still have 2 ASF kits sitting on the shelf. i will not advocate for the sports series but given we have no alternative from kyosho, not much else we can do at Hobby Works.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.24, 04:36 PM   #10
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
looking around... i will never buy a sports series kit myself, just because of the TX alone. that being said, Hobby Works sells through all of them every time they restock. VE are much harder to sell than sports series and still have 2 ASF kits sitting on the shelf. i will not advocate for the sports series but given we have no alternative from kyosho, not much else we can do at Hobby Works.
Same boat here. As an unpaid Kyosho sales representative myself, it's tough to show RC guys the Sports because the usual question out of their mouth is "what radios does it use?", and I have to reply with "oh, just the one that comes with it." Then I go into my speech about how PN makes a Spectrum radio and then they perk up a bit... but by the time I explain what it would take dollar-wise, they usually back down a bit.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.07.24, 08:38 PM   #11
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

I dont really care to get a sport either. But i still dont see how you think running a 6t pinion etc...will help at all. A new interested person doesnt have a Z yet to start with. Its not going to make it any cheaper. And anybody that has a Z already will have it somewhat hopped up already.

Old 2014.07.26, 08:44 PM   #12
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Tried the 6T/gear diff combo...Ive always liked "stock" racing better than mod. I will say on my smaller track, that combo with a 70t seemed extremely SLOW. On our bigger club track, might be to slow. Seems like a fine line between looking to fast for new people and possibly this slow, making it look like a toy instead of real R.C. car.

Old 2014.07.27, 11:15 AM   #13
imxlr8ed

It's like we discussed earlier, the cars will drive incredibly slow to us but for newbies the class will more appealing in that they can concentrate on driving basics as opposed to trying to get used to getting their minds into high
gear right away. They will run cleaner, there will be less breakage, a good setup will be easier to acheive and it should last much longer for them as well (less tire wear).

You gotta remember, we've all been racing for close to a decade now, most of our turns are made by instinct now. We tune the cars to do most of the work for us in every corner. Yes, we are driving the cars but we each have our own expectations as to how our cars to react to our input. Once you find a way to get a car to react in a proper way to your driving style your pretty advanced then. I feel the 6tooth will negate that and make it more about traffic negotiation and good track placement.

We'll test it out, if we don't like it then we'll try something else.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.07.27, 03:32 PM   #14
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Got Ya. Just dont want it slowed so much that they look like a toy instead of an real r.c. race car.

Old 2014.07.27, 05:26 PM   #15
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Larry. Would you email a few pictures of the track at Railyard to me? Please? Next chance you get.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote