Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.11.02, 05:42 AM   #1
Antonshobbies

Smile New User! Seeking clarification

Hi ALL,

having been into Rc cars for years, im only now getting into the Mini Z Game.
Brilliant little models!

I so far have three models-

Mini Sports AWD 180 Drift
Mini Sports 2 Mazda 787b
RWD Porsche 911 Gt3

Im looking to have as many models as possible running on the same radio.
I believe from looking into it online, that the Kyosho 432pt will do this providing the firmware is updated in order to run the new RWD/FWD models.

However, I would like to try brushless VE variant at some point, so am I better off getting a radio that runs the older ASF models as well as the FHS Sports as I think this will be capable of running a VE model...

This stuff seems to be a minefield to new users... that's before you get into the various wheelbase and body configs!!

Many thanks
Antonshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.02, 11:41 AM   #2
TPDazzle

The kyosho radio protocols are a disaster. You cannot get one radio that will run your stuff and the asf or MHS brushless systems. You are correct about the KT 432, also Flysky 4 channels will supposedly work, but I've never tried it. You will need a different radio to run brushless. The current model is the Kyosho EX6r, and if you spend the $299 on that it won't work with your current cars unless you swap the boards out. DasMikro makes a replacement board that you can get for around $44. That is the direction I decided to go with my 2 Sports 2 chassis. It all depends on how bad you want a brushless car. I will say there is a huge difference between the radios, when I finally bit the bullet I was worried I wasnt good enough to tell, but I love the EX6r. It is a frustrating experience though.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.02, 02:45 PM   #3
Antonshobbies

Thank you for confirming what I thought.

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos where a guy was pairing an Absima radio to a couple of fhs Mr03 models. It looks very similar to the futaba 432, especially the software.

I think I may end up getting a 432 for my current models and then a separate one for the brushless models. There is a nice ve awd on a well known auction site at the minute which comes with a ko propo ex1. I'm sure that could run multiple ve mods should I end up with a fleet
Old 2018.11.02, 04:58 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Don't purchase anything new until the mr03 evo is available. You will have an option to change the receiver to one of your liking, and the ESC is brushed/brushless.

What transmitter do you use for your other cars?
Old 2018.11.02, 09:34 PM   #5
bobbyz

Yes, wait just a bit as you will have more controller options when the new MR03 Evo comes out. There will be a FHSS receiver option that will work with both FWD, RWD, and the new Evo which can use both brushed and brushless motors.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 03:33 PM   #6
Antonshobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Don't purchase anything new until the mr03 evo is available. You will have an option to change the receiver to one of your liking, and the ESC is brushed/brushless.

What transmitter do you use for your other cars?
I use the standard Traxxas radio for my slash and UDR and run my 5th scales on a Core Code stick radio.
I'm happy to keep the traxxas radio for traxxas models, but now I'm better with steer wheel radios, I'd like one that I can source receivers for so I can have my minis and my large scale cars on one radio.

I'm do like this awd Ve that's for sale. Can I read into your posts that this new receiver will be compatible and fit into all my current minis?
Old 2018.11.04, 05:57 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonshobbies View Post
I use the standard Traxxas radio for my slash and UDR and run my 5th scales on a Core Code stick radio.
I'm happy to keep the traxxas radio for traxxas models, but now I'm better with steer wheel radios, I'd like one that I can source receivers for so I can have my minis and my large scale cars on one radio.

I'm do like this awd Ve that's for sale. Can I read into your posts that this new receiver will be compatible and fit into all my current minis?

I couldn't imagine running my Baja on a stick radio....mad skills there.

The MR03 Evo will be able to swap in a micro rx of your choice to run whatever spectrum based system you currently own. It looks like Kyosho is trying to stop the bleeding of switching signals each and every new platform they come out with but to me its just another cash grab by leaving the RX system option open to the consumer.

A little bit of research and you'll be able to line up all of your vehicles under one TX and in the end that's a good thing.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.05, 10:52 AM   #8
Antonshobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
I couldn't imagine running my Baja on a stick radio....mad skills there.

The MR03 Evo will be able to swap in a micro rx of your choice to run whatever spectrum based system you currently own. It looks like Kyosho is trying to stop the bleeding of switching signals each and every new platform they come out with but to me its just another cash grab by leaving the RX system option open to the consumer.

A little bit of research and you'll be able to line up all of your vehicles under one TX and in the end that's a good thing.
See that's the odd thing... I felt that way about steerwheel radios lol.
My 5th scales are both on roads- an Mcd Rally and an FG 2wd and they are fine on sticks for me!

Anyway, really appreciate the help here.
I`m still trying to get my around it all whilst being attracted to some of the stuff I`m seeing.
This wont be a race thing for me. Being based in the UK, there are hardly any clubs that cater for MINIZ in my area. This is more about having fun with friends and just driving/collecting for the fun of it.
Old 2018.11.05, 02:34 PM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
The MR03 Evo will be able to swap in a micro rx of your choice to run whatever spectrum based system you currently own....
It does look like the EVO will have a proprietary connection between the RX and the main board (ESC+servo controller). Which means that there will be limited options, but more than we have had in the past to use one transmitter with all of the cars moving forward. I had stayed with ASF for many years, and have used my SANWA in 1/10. Saturday I finally got a 1/28 working with the Sanwa RX.

I am really hoping that they are making the RX compatible with the FH4T standard, and not pushing the FH5T that will be coming with the M17 and make all current transmitters obsolete. Then, people will be having the same issue with Kyosho as we had with the ASF to FHSS transition.