Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.09.02, 07:48 AM   #1
Sammich

Random shutting off while driving

I'm curious. Has anyone have had issues w/ their 03 just shutting off while running? I'm only running a 50T on with a fetted board. Like the entire car dies, i have no steering, motor and the light is off. But if I tap it, or drop it on the layout, or when it cuts off and rolls into the wall, it'll come back to life.

Seems like the motor wires are solid. I have not pulled the top plate off to look at the other wires to the board, which i plan to do this week. I was just wondering if this is a issue anyone else has had issues with before.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.02, 08:00 AM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

B. It certainly must be a loose connection somewhere other than the motor connection since you say that you lose everything. First place I would check is where the board connects to the main chassis on either side or the rear bulkhead. Those little tiny screws can sometimes get loose from heat transfer. Especially with fetted boards and bigger motors with too much pinion. After that it's time to go diving.

If you don't get it figured out just bring it with you on the 13th. We will make it a collective effort.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.02, 11:05 AM   #3
Sammich

we've looked at it and checked those connections...where the screws used to be, it's soldered, and that's a secure connection. so i'll pull off the top plate and see what i find

Quote:
Old 2014.09.02, 05:41 PM   #4
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

curious to know what kind of radio you use, sammich?

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.03, 06:38 AM   #5
Sammich

i use a EX-1

Quote:
Old 2014.09.03, 07:35 AM   #6
herman

try checking the battery contacts... found one car's contacts kinda flattened on mine... barely touching the battery... try prying / or moving it back out using a small screw driver... hope this helps...

Last edited by herman; 2014.09.03 at 10:19 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.03, 03:49 PM   #7
Sammich

yea that was the first thing i did, Herman. sorry i didnt relay that in the original post

Quote:
Old 2014.09.04, 01:27 AM   #8
herman

oh... hmm... then check connections to the board (as mlemor60 mentioned) there might be a loose connection or a pinched wire... then check the fets... maybe one might be defective... try changing the motor to stock and see if it still cuts out... hope this helps
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.04, 02:30 AM   #9
LED

when the car shuts down, can you still here the rattling of the servo or is it completly dead?
It can be a few things.
1) Loose battery connection somewhere, or a wire from the switch, or the switch itself. Also check the screws for the wires going to the board.
2) short circuit on the board. Maybe a strand of a wire is touching something else. Check your board. clean it. Check where the wires from the servo leave the boad. Sometimes they are stripped to far and when putting the cover on they make contact with something else on the board.
3) check your antenna
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.04, 02:56 AM   #10
marco_losi

Hi,
In order to help you, could you clarify what you see when the car seems to die? Is the power on led still ON, does the steering still work? Or is it only the engine which seems stall?"
Marc
marco_losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.04, 03:24 AM   #11
marco_losi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
when the car shuts down, can you still here the rattling of the servo or is it completly dead?
It can be a few things.
1) Loose battery connection somewhere, or a wire from the switch, or the switch itself. Also check the screws for the wires going to the board.
2) short circuit on the board. Maybe a strand of a wire is touching something else. Check your board. clean it. Check where the wires from the servo leave the boad. Sometimes they are stripped to far and when putting the cover on they make contact with something else on the board.
3) check your antenna
Hi belgian cousin, I saw your contribution after I post mine. Basically we do have the same question. Really funny, cheers, Marc
Old 2014.09.05, 09:59 AM   #12
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
It can be a few things.
3) check your antenna
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_losi View Post
Hi,
In order to help you, could you clarify what you see when the car seems to die? Is the power on led still ON, does the steering still work? Or is it only the engine which seems stall?"
Marc
if you guys read the original post, i mentioned that the car goes completely dead, no red light from the board, no steering twitching, no motor no nothing. the second i pick it up and tap it or even just lightly drop it on the ground or it hits something when it completely shuts down, it starts right back up

LED:

1. the wire from the board to the battery connections are soldered and we've checked that. i've also pulled the tabs out further thinking that was the issue, but it wasnt, the tabs are still good and firm

2. this is what i've been planning to do but i've been lazy all week to tear it apart to see what it's doing. i'm really thinking it's the wires from the board to the servo components that's loose, possibly the neg/pos wire

3. i'll be sure to check the antenna as well.

thanks!!

Quote:
Old 2014.09.05, 10:00 AM   #13
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
oh... hmm... then check connections to the board (as mlemor60 mentioned) there might be a loose connection or a pinched wire... then check the fets... maybe one might be defective... try changing the motor to stock and see if it still cuts out... hope this helps
i'll try this as well and see what's going on, but you really think a motor is going to shut down the entire car?

Quote:
Old 2014.09.05, 10:22 AM   #14
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

As I mentioned before. Bring it with you on the 13th. We will sort it out.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.05, 10:39 AM   #15
marco_losi

Hi Sammich,

Just one remark, I had issues with servo wires lately, the steering got crazy but the 03 is still alive! Also I ran my 03 without antenna :-) Still working.
SC on motor? the FET would burn...

In my opinion the issue is coming from the PLCC who need a reflow. Why? Because you said the issue was appearing while running so I guess the temperature has an effect. All the components on the PCB are qualified for running in high temperature (you bet :-)), so assuming there is no obvious SC due to lose wire, the only thing I see is a component which is getting unsoldered.
What component on the PCB is more likely to get unsoldered? The first one is the FET and the second one is the main IC in PLLC package.

Now you confirmed me that the whole car electronic seems dead, no LED, no steering, no engine, so I'd go for the IC in the PLCC.

Of course, before running for that conclusion let's carry out the trials mentioned earlier (verify the wire, connections and so one...).
Just a little advise, in case two connections seems very close, even if they are not touching each other, I would run a fine sharp blade between them to delimit the space. It'll remove any doubt on any weak connection.

Let us know your findings ;-)

Last edited by marco_losi; 2014.09.05 at 11:11 AM.