Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.11.30, 03:23 AM   #31
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd@aol.com
Isn't it a bunch bigger than an overland? If so its hardy a comparison...maybe to the MZM would be better...how does it compare to that? How is the battery configuration?
IMO the Kyosho MMZ is of a nicer build quality and cosmetically better too. I have two, so I am talking from experience.
The MMZ does corner better, especially when fitted with the Kyosho Oil Shocks. This could also be attributed to the lower weight and slower speeds of the MMZ.

The Mini-Mauler lacks on the looks side but is a damn site faster and much more robust too.
The Mauler also has independant front suspension, this makes for great handling.
You can squeeze a 7.2V pack into it too, so whohoo! Power to the people!!
As I said, for the price it's an awesome little truck, I love the Lexan/Polycarb bodyshell even though the decals suck. The adjustable body mount posts are a plus too. It just looks and feels like a real RC truck with those 1/10'ish type characteristics.
Another great feature is the brakes, yes the Mauler can be brought to an abrupt halt in a hurry! The brakes are awesome!

As for the hop ups, they're allright, but IMO the spares availability is more important as the Mauler's pretty quick and capable right out of the box.
One thing I would love to see is a ball-diff for this little truck. I doubt they will make one, but if one was available, it would be awesome.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.30, 12:45 PM   #32
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Send a message via AIM to ChattavegasSE
Yeah it definitly needs a ball diff. Today I'm going to work on a light bar and maybe a front bumper out of aluminium. It's raining so no off roading for me today.
Old 2004.11.30, 01:03 PM   #33
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo
IMO the Kyosho MMZ is of a nicer build quality and cosmetically better too. I have two, so I am talking from experience.
The MMZ does corner better, especially when fitted with the Kyosho Oil Shocks. This could also be attributed to the lower weight and slower speeds of the MMZ.

The Mini-Mauler lacks on the looks side but is a damn site faster and much more robust too.
The Mauler also has independant front suspension, this makes for great handling.
You can squeeze a 7.2V pack into it too, so whohoo! Power to the people!!
As I said, for the price it's an awesome little truck, I love the Lexan/Polycarb bodyshell even though the decals suck. The adjustable body mount posts are a plus too. It just looks and feels like a real RC truck with those 1/10'ish type characteristics.
Another great feature is the brakes, yes the Mauler can be brought to an abrupt halt in a hurry! The brakes are awesome!

As for the hop ups, they're allright, but IMO the spares availability is more important as the Mauler's pretty quick and capable right out of the box.
One thing I would love to see is a ball-diff for this little truck. I doubt they will make one, but if one was available, it would be awesome.
Any chance of a side by side pic for reference?
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.30, 02:12 PM   #34
Xracer

I saw one of these run down at the local hobbby store. Dude these things are fast. It pulled a wheelie from the start with no problem. There didnt seem to be that much clerence under the truck though.
Xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.02, 12:07 AM   #35
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd@aol.com
Any chance of a side by side pic for reference?
Check the first page of this thread.

Well I got my Mauler out in the dirt, mud, puddles, rocks, mounds, grass, etc., today. It makes short work of a water hose and things about that size. It lacks the ground clearance to do any real off roading without assitance, but it certainly can climb on its own. Puddles were no problem, too. I had mud splattered on me; since there's no locking diff, wheel spin is fun to watch in a mud bog. A couple times I got a little too steep and the truck flipped back and rolled back down the hill; usually landing back on its wheels. The truck would high-center easily, though, but usually rocking it back and forth would free it. When I came back inside, you couldn't tell what color it was.

Tomorrow I'm going to clear back some space in my back yard that'll be smoother dirt; with jumps and stuff; and with no rocks!!
Old 2004.12.02, 03:43 AM   #36
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
that esc gets wet and its done for, be careful
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.02, 01:35 PM   #37
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
that esc gets wet and its done for, be careful
I'm sure it doesnt have a waterproof esc. But I remember back in the day my first tamiya cars had you waterproof the electronics with baloons and zip ties. This may be a good idea to try if you're getting it wet. I know I fried an LRP ESC and an Airtronics receiver not too long ago and the road was just damp!
Old 2004.12.02, 04:56 PM   #38
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

I think I fried reverse on my Mauler. It'll back up; but just so slowly; the throttle and steering are good as new though. Oh well, maybe after I've broken it more and more, I might get the replacement ESC for $50.
Old 2004.12.02, 05:03 PM   #39
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattavegasSE
I think I fried reverse on my Mauler. It'll back up; but just so slowly; the throttle and steering are good as new though. Oh well, maybe after I've broken it more and more, I might get the replacement ESC for $50.

haha looks like we spoke a bit too late in our advice. Too bad about that I still dont underatand why these tings are not made more water tight...I'm not sure if LRP makes a waterproof micro...I've got the pro2 and its waterproof but thats over kill in a micro/mini (and a waste of $200 or so)...but for $50 might as well spend another $10 and get the Novak Spy
Old 2004.12.02, 05:26 PM   #40
GiantScale

That sucks.I should have mentioned to protect the rx & esc.

Iv noticed the Venom Mini Giant on ebay for $75. How does the mauler compare the VMG?
GiantScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.02, 09:15 PM   #41
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale
That sucks.I should have mentioned to protect the rx & esc.

Iv noticed the Venom Mini Giant on ebay for $75. How does the mauler compare the VMG?
BTW...I see lots of gallery photos with peoples OL and MZMs in mud and other "un electronic friendly" enviornments...what does everyone do to protect the PCB?
Old 2004.12.03, 12:03 PM   #42
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

I'm going to send this one back to the shop. The new one, I'll try to seal it in a little better. The problem is, the wheels are under the body, too. So when you waylay into a mud hole, there's water and mud on the inside of the body, too; where the ESC's cooling fins are exposed.
Old 2004.12.06, 10:42 PM   #43
solartech
r/c user

I checked it out at my local hobby shop , it was priced at 149$ the same as the mini-t and almost the same size. I was kinda dissaponted it looked like a toy that cost too much. Even though the mauler and mini-t share the same electrics the Mini-t seems to be much better.
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.06, 11:10 PM   #44
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by solartech
I checked it out at my local hobby shop , it was priced at 149$ the same as the mini-t and almost the same size. I was kinda dissaponted it looked like a toy that cost too much. Even though the mauler and mini-t share the same electrics the Mini-t seems to be much better.
Thats tooo much...I've seen them in both on my LHS and they're about $99 at each... go to www.raceway.com thats my main gig (there every friday and generally during the week for supplies at lunch) and ask for rob (the manager and a fast losi rider)...I'm sure he'd mail you one if you said kip said to call
Old 2004.12.07, 02:48 AM   #45
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by solartech
The Mini-T is more functional as a 1/18 scale racer that I agree with, but according to the Posts on YourMicro the Mini-T is quite fragile and turns into a money pit begging for hop ups

I've said this before, I do agree the Mauler does look like a toy, but it is one tough little truck and fairly good value for the money spent. It doesn't require hop-ups other than a decent 7.2V battery pack to unleash its true potential

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote