Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.12, 02:44 AM   #1
xmodcanuck

2.4ghz mr-02 board

I got this chassis used quite a while ago. It always ran great so I never took it apart to really check it out. I noticed recently that it had a few stripped screw holes so I am in the process of switching it to a new sp chassis.
And I see that there are no fets on the top of the board. Clearly this hasn't affected the operation of the board but I'm wondering what those fets do and why would you want to remove them? (It has 6 fets (2x3) on the bottom.) To those that know more than me about this, while I have it apart is there any benefit to getting fets put on the top?

xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.12, 02:50 AM   #2
TheSteve
VE7FM

That is just weird. I can't tell from the pic, do the pads look damaged at all?
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.12, 03:40 AM   #3
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
That is just weird. I can't tell from the pic, do the pads look damaged at all?
I'm going to go with...no, the pads don't look damaged. I think...maybe.
Since I'm not a solderer I'm not entirely sure, I'll bring it with me on Sunday.
Old 2014.03.12, 05:59 AM   #4
byebye

Previous generations had a single pair on top. The next generation had a pair on top and a pair on bottom essentially giving you a 2x2 fet upgrade. Rather than modify the chassis they modified the boards placing them on top and bottom.

There is probably a much more technical answer but that is the gist of it. Every evolution of the mini-z has been in response to aftermarket ideas I.e. FET upgrades, disk dampers, midmounts, a-arm, dws etc.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.12, 06:53 AM   #5
LED

Only the 27mhz boards had 2 fets. I think the 2.4Ghz always had 4 fets.
I believe this board was modded by the previuos owner giving it 6 fets instead of 4.
There is no problem in removing the 2 top fets because the work parrallel to the ones on the bottom.

check the fets on the bottom, what code are they?
I'm sure they will not be 3010 fets.

In short, you have a modded board and you can probably already run every motor you want so no need to put extra fets on top.

Last edited by LED; 2014.03.12 at 06:56 AM.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.12, 11:39 AM   #6
TheSteve
VE7FM

Mounting fets on just one side when there are good pads on both is just silly. The small traces and vias in the PCB can only handle so much current, the pcb traces also offer a small but useful amount of heatsinking to the fets. Having 2 fet packages mounted on the top and two on the bottom is likely more efficient at the end of the day then 6 fets all stacked on one side.

We could slam some fets on the other side of the board if you want Dave, if the board is working though I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 2014.03.12, 01:06 PM   #7
imxlr8ed

Maybe the stacks were already made up and instead of keeping the stockers on top, the guy just popped them off and added his stacks to the bottom (only side they'd fit).

At least it's fetted!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.12, 01:24 PM   #8
LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
Mounting fets on just one side when there are good pads on both is just silly. The small traces and vias in the PCB can only handle so much current, the pcb traces also offer a small but useful amount of heatsinking to the fets. Having 2 fet packages mounted on the top and two on the bottom is likely more efficient at the end of the day then 6 fets all stacked on one side.

We could slam some fets on the other side of the board if you want Dave, if the board is working though I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Well that depends on how the bottom looks. if he put enough solder on there to make direct contact to the terminals the traces wouldn't suffer that much.
I also think the wires you see on this pic are thicker then stock, also fo the switch wich are normaly black. So maybe he moved the fets to the bottom to be able to use the thicker wires. I think the previous owner wanted every bit off power he could get :-)

Can you please post a pic of the bottom? I would like to see ho wit looks.

Thx
Old 2014.03.12, 01:57 PM   #9
TheSteve
VE7FM

If I had to take a guess at why someone would only put fets on the bottom I'd say it was so they have less chance of shorting the fet legs with the motor eyelets. I wouldn't do it that way myself, but then I also wouldn't ever stack that many fets.
Old 2014.03.12, 02:38 PM   #10
xmodcanuck

Bottom of board. They are 8858 fets, at least the top row is.

A 'leaning tower of pisa' fet stack.
Old 2014.03.12, 03:53 PM   #11
LED

Lol thats great

Anyway, I would leave it as it is :-)
Old 2014.03.13, 07:10 AM   #12
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Guessing the FETs were stacked at an angle to fit down in the chassis which has slanted sides, without having to modify the chassis for clearance. Looks like a very neat FET job!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 05:41 AM   #13
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
Lol thats great

Anyway, I would leave it as it is :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Guessing the FETs were stacked at an angle to fit down in the chassis which has slanted sides, without having to modify the chassis for clearance. Looks like a very neat FET job!
I concur. Looks pro.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 07:38 AM   #14
imxlr8ed

Leaning tower of power there.

Benefits:

Keeps the cg lower in the chassis

Cooler below the board than above it

Electricity likes to flow in one direction

Gives something to post about

Problems:

Only one I've ever seen is instability in collisions, if the fets are run really hard with a mod motor for a long time, it is possible for the solder to get overheated and in a collision, the may lose connection. I've had this happen once and seen it happen twice in all my years. (usually in awd chassis)

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 02:29 PM   #15
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
In short, you have a modded board and you can probably already run every motor you want so no need to put extra fets on top.
Good thing I have it running an awesome PN70t motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Never thought of that, the leaning tower makes sense now.

Thanks for all the excellent and helpful info. Like I said, it always ran great so I will likely leave it the way it is, it just seemed odd that the FETs were missing. Knowing it can handle any motor I want I might even upgrade to a 50t.