Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.01.26, 12:59 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Kyosho Mini-Z Evo Series Connectivity Issues

I have switched all my Mini-Z over to the EVO series and had been using the ASF/MHS receivers with the EX-6 transmitter until recently and have switched to the FlySky receivers with the Noble NB4 transmitter. One issue I've had with the EVO series has been receiver drop out.
In particular, the FlySky receivers in 3 of my cars had varying degree of drop out yesterday in racing. I have had this issue with the ASF/MHS receiver but nothing like what I experienced yesterday. Two cars are stock MR-03 EVO, one was EVO PN2.5W. Both MR-03 have foam spacers under the receiver cover about 1mm thickness. the PN2.5W has a ByeByeRacing transponder cover with about 1mm foam spacer. In all installations, there is no conflict with wiring spacing under the receiver. All have been removed and reseated multiple times and paired multiple times,
To described the problem, either on throttle or off, the car would simply lose connection. The car would then need to be turned off and back on to regain steering/throttle control. This happened in turns, on the straight (most commonly on the straight) with no interaction with other cars or the rail. Two cars were brushed motors, one was brushless.
Anyone else have connectivity issues with EVO receivers and or resolved this issue? I am going to replace the foam spacers on all cars with a 3-4mm spacer in the mean time and hope there are some other troubleshooting tips to resolve this.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.26, 01:29 PM   #2
SuperFly
bitPimp

I've had issues with two EVOs, one mine and one someone else's, but in both cases the problem was what you preemptively mentioned, the receiver board just not being seated completely, even though it seemed like it was.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.26, 01:36 PM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
That was my initial concern as well and reseated the receivers several times with no luck.
Ruled out on throttle power issue as it also happened off throttle.
Ruled out rattling it loose as many laps were with no contact to wall or other cars.
Ruled out wiring as the MR-03 has the white wires pushed to the side as the instructions direct. on the PN, there are no wires under the receiver.
Ruled out motor as the issue as it occurs on mix of BL and BR motors.

Only thing I can think of at this point is to use a thicker foam spacer to help compress the receiver to the board with less chance for movement. KWT recommended this from his experience.

I have two other MR-03 EVO's that ran fine, no issue.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.01.26 at 08:46 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.26, 07:50 PM   #4
KWT

Thick piece of foam under the cover solved it for me. About 1/4"
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 02:54 PM   #5
mugler

At art4242's suggestion I just used a small piece of thinner servo tape between Rx & the boardon the opposite side of the pins and that was the end of thinking about rx ever getting loose, this is on the pn2.5 chassis with no top cover on the rx section.

The other issues you are mentioning could be static related, the only time I've experienced that was discovering some part of the chassis usually aftermarket bottom front lower tower bars (older AA or regular Mr-03 alloy) dragging on the track or catching the seams basically ride height too low ...contact with track while running specially on higher humidity days is when we experienced random static issues. other items that can cause similar issues are Tx trigger (any KO Tx) or BL motors going bad.

Last edited by mugler; 2020.01.27 at 02:56 PM.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 02:59 PM   #6
art4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post

I have switched all my Mini-Z over to the EVO series and had been using the ASF/MHS receivers with the EX-6 transmitter until recently and have switched to the FlySky receivers with the Noble NB4 transmitter. One issue I've had with the EVO series has been receiver drop out.
In particular, the FlySky receivers in 3 of my cars had varying degree of drop out yesterday in racing. I have had this issue with the ASF/MHS receiver but nothing like what I experienced yesterday. Two cars are stock MR-03 EVO, one was EVO PN2.5W. Both MR-03 have foam spacers under the receiver cover about 1mm thickness. the PN2.5W has a ByeByeRacing transponder cover with about 1mm foam spacer. In all installations, there is no conflict with wiring spacing under the receiver. All have been removed and reseated multiple times and paired multiple times,
To described the problem, either on throttle or off, the car would simply lose connection. The car would then need to be turned off and back on to regain steering/throttle control. This happened in turns, on the straight (most commonly on the straight) with no interaction with other cars or the rail. Two cars were brushed motors, one was brushless.
Anyone else have connectivity issues with EVO receivers and or resolved this issue? I am going to replace the foam spacers on all cars with a 3-4mm spacer in the mean time and hope there are some other troubleshooting tips to resolve this.
I've converted my entire fleet of 8 cars to EVO boards and have not had any glitches to date. These are all using ASF/MHS receivers with EX-2 or EX-RR transmitters.

Mine are all on PN2.5W chassis and use double sided servo tape of the correct thickness in between the receiver and main board to secure them.

I'm wondering if the receiver being free to float/wiggle slightly even if fully inserted could be part of the problem. Might try the double sided tape to see if that helps?
art4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 05:36 PM   #7
smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post

I never had any connection issues on Evo chassis itself and I have no foam pieces or anything, but if I had to use PN chassis I would just put double sided tape and stick between board and receiver itself. Keep the antenna wire straight up and check to see it is not touch other wires or anything for what it is worth.

I had plenty of issues with ASF receivers which I bought from GL and I am converting them to futaba receivers.

Smokey
smokey_truck is offline   Reply With Quote