Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.01.28, 02:02 PM   #1
jevs

Best Lap Timing System & Software 2016?

I have purchased everything I need to race Mini-z's except a lap timing system.
Read back on the threads here and they get pretty old pretty fast.

I figured I would ask this to get some 2016 responses on the best timing system just to make sure I am going to make a current and correct choice.

I have already worked up a little pros/cons lists of what I did read here so far. Several of them seem to have issues with missing laps and also some complaints of how big the transponders are and also how expensive. While I am waiting for responses here, I will go out and check the sites for the ones I have written down.

One thing I am curious about is if any of the better systems will also work with the Dnano's without having to get a second lap timing setup for those? I would like to get a couple of those at some point. They look fun (even though they are crazy expensive).
jevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.28, 08:43 PM   #2
Thorvald

The issue with Dnano's is their size... the transponder pretty much has to be stuck on top unless you use Kyosho's unit. But I'm sure others may have better ideas.

If your in Canada, have a look at Trackmate Racing. Works with Zround software and unlimited transponders (no duplicates) and very low cost. Cheaper on the dollar for Canucks too. I run it myself and used to race at a couple of off road tracks that used it. They sell transponders with the jst zh connector already on them.

Others I'll let people chime in on.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.29, 07:03 AM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I-Lap is less expensive and currently popular with many clubs/stores, unlimited transponders. I-Lap has been more reliable for our club than Giro-Z. Nearly all missed laps can be attributed to transponder issues vs. timing software/hardware. We moved to I-Lap predominately for the unlimited transponder count to rid ourselves of the headache of dealing with transponder number conflicts. one less thing to deal with on race day...
Giro-Z is in similar cost but limited in transponders, there are programmable transponders available though.
Robotronic is more expensive, do not have any experience with it however.
Don't bother with the Kyosho RFID system. I've never liked the software bundled with that. It may be OK for home users with Flipside software.
Core is not bad for a home user but difficult to find these days. It's fairly reliable and not expensive, transponders are dirt cheap.

i have not had any one system be problem free, all have had issues at some point with something, most can be attributed to transponders, and to lesser extent pickup sensor placement. the timing software used is also another question all together, with many options to choose from and opinions.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.29, 11:07 AM   #4
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Best bang for the buck... Robitronic... With Zround software

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.29, 11:35 AM   #5
jevs

Still considering these and researching/adjusting my list of pros/cons/general info:
*This is not a finished or polished list-no particular order*

Lapsnapper
+Magnetic
+Wireless interface
+Android compatible
+No AC power needed
-Transponder size 27.5 x 27.5 x 9mm 8 grams (bigger than some other options)
-Transponder detection range 100-180mm
+- Transponder has its own battery
Transponders about $42
Pro system with start strip and 2 transponders only $217

I-Lap
+Unique ID, unlimited transponders
+Robust and trouble free according to most
+Transponder is said by some to fit in Dnano
Transponder $37
+Seems to be an unpublished (on the website) smaller transponder available for $40. No dimensions found. 12x16mm maybe?
Can run Z-round. Most do?
Flipside software?

Robitronic
-May be the smallest transponder? 12x16x7mm 3 grams (with case)
+Found no complaints about it. People say zero errors.
-Stock software has some complaints
+Generic transponder available $26
-Normal transponder $55
Some people use this with Zround software

Trackmate
-Larger than Robitronic
+Price is decent

Kyosho IC Tag
-Seems to be a lot of complaints
+Works with Dnano
+Cheap RFID tags

Out of the running for me:

Giro-z
-Only 24 channels and have to buy numbered transponders (main reason not getting it)
-Have to use Linux
-Transponder is larger than Robitronic, but not much 16mm x 16mm
-Complaints about software setup each time
+Offers a bridge
+Transponder is said by some to fit in Dnano
Transponder $39
Works with Zround software

Core Analog
Seems to be dead

KOPropo
Not much info
Seems to have taken crystals for transponders
Might be dead

MyLaps (AMBit)
$85 Transponders
$1000+ Control box
Pro Quality
Expensive

Easy Lap Counter
-Webcam based
+Cheep
-Not very accurate
-Works on car color

LapDragon
This one is dead

TeamOrion
Seems to be dead, no stock, no listing on website, only some used stuff out there

Please let me know if there is any info I should add or consider that is not seen here……

Last edited by jevs; 2016.01.29 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2016.01.29, 11:38 AM   #6
jevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji View Post
Best bang for the buck... Robitronic... With Zround software
This is still a strong contender for me. Not seeing much negative said about it as long as you take the plastic case off the transponders. If the aftermarket transponders are good?? That is even better.

Fit Dnano?

Anyone used Lapsnapper? Looks pretty nice cheap setup except the transponders are a little larger. however they seem to be self powered and the system is basically wireless and best of all I could use a tablet instead of another computer. I am no expert on these though. I just looked them up today and still researching all these to death.
Old 2016.01.29, 11:51 AM   #7
arch2b

for i-lap, you can run z-round. most do.
Old 2016.01.29, 11:56 AM   #8
jevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
for i-lap, you can run z-round. most do.
Noted, thank you. I sent I-lap an email. I cannot find dimensions anywhere for their transponder.
Old 2016.01.29, 12:21 PM   #9
arch2b

new smaller transponders shown here, but no dimensions. just comparisons to old transponder and giro-z.

rc mart has a dimensioned photo for the giro-z though for base line. guessing it's 12x16cm

Last edited by arch2b; 2016.01.29 at 12:24 PM.
Old 2016.01.29, 12:37 PM   #10
jevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
new smaller transponders shown here, but no dimensions. just comparisons to old transponder and giro-z.

rc mart has a dimensioned photo for the giro-z though for base line. guessing it's 12x16cm
Good info. Added to the list. They need to get that on their site. The transponder size is a strong decision point for me and fitting in a Dnano is a good plus in case I ever get a couple. However the dimensioned one on that sale site seems to be showing a different transponder. I wonder if the one in the comparison photo is the larger 1st version giro-z?

Last edited by jevs; 2016.01.29 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2016.01.29, 12:46 PM   #11
jevs

Looks like that was a comparison to version one. I have to see what the dimensions were on that.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZ2TR00.JPG (36.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MTs.jpg (28.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 2016.01.29, 06:23 PM   #12
jevs

I ordered the I-Lap with the small transponders with ring terminals for the MR-03S chassis.
The small transponders are 11x15mm.

I ruled out the Lapsnapper because the transponders are too big. I like that it can run on android, but we all know how that stuff changes daily. The wired USB computer connection will probably be more reliable. Typing on a keyboard for data input is much easier too.

I ruled out Robitronic because I like to buy American when the price still makes it feasible. The I-lap was less than the robotronic in price for what I need. I also like the I-lap transponder better (now that I found out about the smaller one). I think you have more software options with I-lap also. Chaining more sensors might also be easier if you move the setup to other things.

I ruled out Trackmate because I believe the transponders are too big for a Dnano if I decide to get a couple.

Kyosho I-tag.....well, no one has much great to say about that and it is expensive.

There are tons of posts on various sites praising the I-Lap setup and I like that they are being used on larger scale tracks with success outside also. Everyone praises the support as well, and they called me to discuss my setup rather than emailing back and forth.

I also like that they have stuff for FPV racing quadcopters and I could save money by using my decoder and sensors if I ever wanted to do that also.

Anyway, I hope this helps the next person that might be asking this same question.....
I spent $308 shipped. 2 sensors, decoder, 2 transponders, cables etc. Compared to the other offerings, the price seems fair also.

Last edited by jevs; 2016.01.29 at 06:37 PM.
Old 2016.02.01, 06:51 PM   #13
jevs

I got the I-Lap system already. I ordered it Friday evening and got it on Monday. I just unpacked it and I am very happy with the size of the transponders. They are very small, thin, and light. Here are some pics for anyone else contemplating these.

With the wires and ring terminals it is only .04 oz (1.2g)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160201_182856.jpg (283.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20160201_182925.jpg (218.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20160201_183012.jpg (181.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20160201_183142.jpg (246.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 2016.02.01, 09:37 PM   #14
fastmax
RCP Me!!

Great comparison shots. Thanks for sharing.
Goodrich RC Club
fastmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.20, 08:26 AM   #15
Rob-00

I have been using trackmate transponders for a long time now and never had a problem. I do use flip side software with them I like it better. http://www.b-rsuperspeedway.mynetworksolutions.com/ let me know if you need any other info on them.
Rob-00 is offline   Reply With Quote