Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.07.02, 04:40 PM   #1
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
HobbyTown, Toms River NJ

I had a chance to visit the HobbyTown in Toms River yesterday. Its about an hour and a half drive from Manhattan without traffic. There are two tracks on premises, one large track downstairs for events, and a small track upstairs for club racing and practice. The amount of stock that they have for RC, and hobby in general was really jaw dropping. There was a 1997 BMW Kyosho RC collectors item that caught my eye... but I told myself before going that I was not allowed to buy any more RCs...

I met my longtime racing buddies TommyGreeneyes and GIHOSU at the track just to chat, and do a little prep work on my car for the July 29th trophy race that will be held there.

The surface is CRC carpet, the "golden" black carpet loved by so many 1/10 scale racers around the world. Grip is consistently high for carpet, and the pile low so it doesnt suck the speed out of the car even with stock motors.

I started upstairs, where the pit area is. The downstairs track was used for a morning tank battle event, which I was disappointed that I had missed. I mean, who doesnt like scale RC tanks battling through a city landscape to the death!!! Lazers, did I mention that these shoot lazers???

Ok, back to Mini-Z. The upstairs track uses RCP rails with velcro to hold in place on the carpet. This means that layout options are open to the imagination and not restricted to tile width. I tried my box stock car first, 3500kv Mazda 787 just to feel out the tires. The rear LM 20 slicks were loose. I swapped on some Kyosho 20d radials and the car came to life. The speed of the car was perfect for the size of the track. I could place it within a quarter inch of where I wanted due to the consistency of the carpet and Kyosho tires.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I have been known to sleep on rcp tracks from time to time... so, just testing the comfort level, and its EMU approved!

I dropped a wheelnut at one point in the pits, and was shocked by how fast I was able to find it. Their pit space is immaculate, with a diamond stamped surface, with a relatively rough textured gray paint. At many tracks, it may have taken a few minutes to find a dropped screw or nut, but it took all of 5 seconds and I was back to wrenching.

While I was turning laps upstairs, the event track was being converted to a high speed track layout. I didnt get a track measurement, but besides the 2010 world championships, this would have to be the largest layout that I have driven a Mini-Z on. There were 2 turns, a right and a left. The right had 4 apexes, the left.... 8 apexes. And was roughly 12-13 second laps with a AAA Reflex Racing MR03 with Atomic AD Stock 41t motor that was about the limit of power that I could put down on the surface. I was running short on time, since I needed to get back to NYC to return the rental... and asked them not to vacuum the track despite debris blasted off of buildings from where the tanks were battling just a few hours before.

The layout was very deceiving, it looks so simple, but is tricky with so many apexes and high speed. The setup of the car was a little stiff, and 360GTC body (no lexan windows, which was used for a spec ASC class prior) was a little too high center of gravity for such high speed sweeping corners. With time running out, we wanted to get a video shot... so hopped on track, started running some laps. GIHOSU was in a Box Stock LM car, I was in my AD Stock AAA Reflex MR03, and Tommy was using his Atomic SZ car. Once the camera started rolling, GIHOSU lead us into the first lap, I was following looking for a move, with Tommy behind me... I made a wide move on the sweeper around GIHOSU, and Tommy went tight and went under both of us. I managed to square off the next corner well and carried better speed around the long left hander and went inside Tommy into the braking zone for the final left apex... but overshot, and Tommy passed me again. We did 4 or 5 laps, with about 6 overtakes per lap... some of the best driving that I have done personally, and some of the best that GIHOSU and Tommy have done as well... all for the video.

We went to go watch the video, and when we went to look at it... it was a picture. My heart dropped. There is no way that level of driving would be replicated, I know that I had given my maximum, and my tank had run empty. We shot a second video, but were unable to get anything even remotely close to the level of intensity that we had in the first run. I had to quickly pack and get out of town to return the rental. Picked up a few white bodies that I didnt have (NSX Concept, 98mm SC430, and a white 787B) and a new transponder before leaving. I left with a grin that hasnt left my face yet a day later, despite 100f temperatures doing everything that they could to make me feel misery.

I was assured that the layout would be a little more technical, but flowing for the big race. But wont be overly technical to be welcoming for racers that are newer in the hobby. Kyosho competition Box stock and modified are the classes that will be raced. Box Stock will be restricted to Kyosho rubber tires, and AAA batteries with unmodified bodies. Modified will permit LiPo, lexan bodies and open tire rules, although no silicone tires or traction compounds are permitted to protect the racing surface. I will try to link more information about the race.

I am super stoked for the trophy race that they will be hosting on July 29th, and hope many locals, and out of towners can come race to make this a great event. Just make sure you have good trunk space, because you may not be able to resist the temptations of what this store has. I even saw some Kyosho Moto-Racers... and almost bought it, but I had to smack myself on the hand as it reached for the wallet and say STOP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 48742.jpeg (122.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 36475763_10160479137955153_1292003751221002240_n.jpg (126.3 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by EMU; 2018.07.02 at 04:56 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.03, 04:35 AM   #2
tommy_greeneyes

Yes can't wait for the July 29th,
Old 2018.07.03, 06:31 AM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Is there an event post with info?
store? Hobby Town
location? Toms River where is this?
schedule?
rules?
format?
timing system?
track? CRC carpet
recommendation for tires?
website or social media page?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.03, 03:18 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

I will help them setup an event post. Finalizing rule set.

It is a HobbyTown USA

Address
1256 Indian Head Rd, Toms River, NJ 08755

They are on FB
f book com/HobbyTownTomsRiver/

For the event, there will be 3 classes... these are the non official rules as I understand them, although I am not the organizer, just passing on what I heard.

Kyosho Box Stock
any Kyosho Mini-Z chassis, no Special edition chassis with preinstalled hop ups
Box brush motor or 3500kv brushless
Max gearing of 8/44 2wd, 17/27 awd
stock gear differentials
AAA NiMh batteries
Unmodified Autoscale or White body fully built up, no lexan windows
Kyosho rubber tires only
available upgrades: bearings, t-plates, wheelnuts, servo gears
Kyosho circuit pack spring permitted

70 Comp
PN 70t motor, 3500kv motor
11/52 64p or 9t 48p 2wd, 21/27 AWD
AAA NiMh cells, open chassis 86-102mm, hop ups and electronics
Kyosho compatible hard body, lexan windows permitted
Kyosho rubber tires

Modified
8.4v limit for batteries
open chassis, electronics, motor
Kyosho, PN, Marka rubber tires. No silicone or foam tires.
90-102mm wheelbase, open body, lexan permitted

No traction compounds permitted, can only clean tires with alcohol

Track surface is CRC carpet.

The timing system they use is Easy Lap, PN used this for the 2017 PNWC. The transponder is 1/4 the size of iLAP, and costs $26 available at the track or Kenon.

The race format is planned to have 2 qualifiers and mains since it is a single day event. 5min qual 8min mains. It will be staggered start qualifiers. Each class will be qualified per round before moving on to the next round, with a resort after the first round. I believe they will open at 10am, and qualifying will kick off at noon.

I swapped my rear LM tires for Kyosho 20d radials, and had a good balance with LM30 in the front. Rear end likes radials. I made no other setup changes to the cars that I tested.

Initially the idea was to use the 6t pinion in box stock, but that is way to slow on a track that size. On the upstairs track it is perfect. The 9t pinion burns up the brushed motors. 8t pinion gives a good point to have as close of a gear ratio between 2wd and AWD should someone bring an AWD.

For the 70 Comp, they want to keep the motors geared safely for Sports cars and AWD essentially has as close to the same gearing as it can have without being penalized. I didnt have a chance to run a 70t car, since I dont have one setup, but I feel that this is a good balance of speed and safety. I think there will be some awesome racing in this class.

Modified is fast on that track... man, the grin on my face. I almost had too much power with my AD Stock that I ran. The track was green, so as rubber goes down traction should come up.

Weight limit will be 170g accross the board for all classes. The track likes a little more mass than RCP, so I dont think we will see very light cars. It also likes low CG wide cars. There is more front bite, steering is not a problem. It might be good to have a set of 40d radials and slicks on hand if you find the steering too responsive with 30s.

How would I go about setting up an event page for them?

Last edited by EMU; 2018.07.03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2018.07.03, 06:57 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
just post the info to the events forum and Mike will approved it.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.04, 06:26 AM   #6
tommy_greeneyes

I will help the Hobby shop with a list of Parts he needs, Just find out Kyosho will help sponsor this race. working on some more stuff. if things work out right you can see more big Events in the future.
Old 2018.07.05, 03:30 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

After multiple requests to change the day of the race from Sunday, the day was moved to the Saturday before. July 28, 2018. Doors open at 10AM, qualify scheduled for noon.

I have been told that Kyosho and Atomic are sponsoring the event with prizes...

Last edited by EMU; 2018.07.05 at 03:42 PM.
Old 2018.07.16, 09:42 PM   #8
herman

Nice write up and report. Thanks for sharing. Bummer about the video...
At least this place might be an option next time I visit my brother in law in ny...

Race classes look pretty interesting and will allow for pretty tight racing, even at the box stock class.

Congratulations in advance guys and don't forget to post pics...

Any news what Maj is up to these days?

Last edited by herman; 2018.07.16 at 09:50 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.16, 09:59 PM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

I hear he is on vacation, returning around the time of this race. We're trying to see ifhe will make an appearance... I hope he will attend. He had kept mini-z alive in the NY metro, and it would be nice for him to race without needing to host.
Old 2018.07.17, 07:58 AM   #10
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Might try to hike up for this one.
Old 2018.07.17, 08:10 AM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Might try to hike up for this one.
Would be happy to see you again, it's been years.
Old 2018.07.17, 01:30 PM   #12
Mike Keely

so what tires are everyone running
Old 2018.07.18, 01:33 PM   #13
tommy_greeneyes

hey guys

Sorry, guys have been busy with work, been talking with the owner about a lot, future races, and ideas. I have hooked him up with PN parts and he has Kyosho part as well. even that I race under the Atomic Flag I am getting him set to sale Atomic cars and parts soon. it is awesome to be racing at a great facility with air condition and RC car in the store.to have a small track on the 2nd floor and be able to use the Big track downstairs is cool, I am the one that find this place.and when I walked in I saw Potential to bring back Mini z. I am happy to have Eugene and Shafiq by my side. my goal is to have an East Coast Championship for Mini zs and 1/28.
Old 2018.07.18, 05:13 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keely View Post
so what tires are everyone running
Mike, in Kyosho Stock, and 70 Comp, the tires are Kyosho only. This was chosen to keep as much of the same rubber into the track, and reduce the amount of variables in the spec classes.

I recommend the K20 radials in the rear, with 30 slick up front. You can try 40 radials if you want more entrance steering, or 40 slick if you want to dial down some steering. The track tends to favor front end bite, so a more stable chassis setup with aggressive front tires or aggressive setup with a front tire with less traction may be the best approach for the surface.

Shafiq and Tommy have been liking the 40 slicks in the front. I like the LM 30 trued flat in the front, but my car is 94mm, so a little more on throttle steering is desireble, I also lowered the steering angle more than I am used to, roughly 55 endpoint on my radio.

I have not had a chance to test any other tires besides the Kyosho due to what I have in stock. I am not sure how the PN or Marka tires will work on the carpet, but it is open for modified. Hopefully Tommy can test some PN tires on his next visit and let us know how traction is with them.

I plan to try some PN tires on race day in mod... dont have any at the moment.
Old 2018.07.18, 07:28 PM   #15
Mike Keely

Thanks for the info.