Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.11.25, 04:56 PM   #1
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
1/24 Lexan Slot Car Body on MR02

I decided to play around with an Idea that I have been thinking of for some time. I have wanted to use a Lexan body for a while to have good downforce with the least weight. I searched around on Ebay to find some cheap bodies, and found these two for $16 shipped.

These bodies are for 4" (102mm) Slot Cars 80mm wide. I had to do some work to custom fabricate a front clip. I had thought about using a CP Cup Car 2 conversion kit (~114mm wheelbase), but it would be a little longer than I would like for this size bodies. I also ordered a few 4.5" bodies which should be arriving soon to use the CP Cup Car 2 kit.

For this project, I used a piece of fatigue foam mat to make the front clip and protect the chassis a little due to the lack of rigidity that the lexan shell has. I dremeled the foam to the shape that I wanted, and cut an area that would fit an Enzo front clip. Since the body basically sits on the top of the chassis, I decided to drill two holes in the body where the rear damper mounts are on the car, and used two pieces from an IW04 shock to retain the shell with screws. I had to dremel out above the damper for clearance.

The chassis that I tested it with is relatively stock. Bearings, tires (8d radial rear, 20d slick front), X-Speed in PN BB can motor,and rear damper were the only performance upgrades. The plastic bumper is on the chassis to prevent the foam from hitting the track as well as pinching the foam to the front Enzo clip.

Heres a little video of me running with my bro in his 575GTC which is one of the best setup cars for this track.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/a...9/mini_rcp.avi
(right click save target, it wont open as a link for me)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LexanShells.JPG (19.4 KB, 221 views)
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.25, 05:31 PM   #2
Ibrake Ifry

dude that looks so cool! I can't wait to see it tommorow! your track is pretty nice man! that lexan body would be perfect for modified ...how much does it weigh in comparison to an autoscale? I have the perfect idea for the wheels to put in the rear...how much more clearance do you have in the back in comparison to the enzo? Are you going to use that body for the xmods chassis project?
Ibrake Ifry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.25, 06:17 PM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrake Ifry
dude that looks so cool! I can't wait to see it tommorow! your track is pretty nice man! that lexan body would be perfect for modified ...how much does it weigh in comparison to an autoscale? I have the perfect idea for the wheels to put in the rear...how much more clearance do you have in the back in comparison to the enzo? Are you going to use that body for the xmods chassis project?
The Xmod project needs a rigid body. I wish this car was my modified car... But the FETs Magic had were bad. If it had FETs... I would definitely run mod class. I still may run it without FETs, just because I cannot run it in Stock and my MOD car is not done yet (waiting for rear damper plate and wheels/tires to come in). I dont have much clearance on the front, only about 2mm each side once the wheels are turned to full lock. I may be able to fit wide 0mm offset weels up front, with some doublewides that Magic had in the rear. Although, I dont have nearly enough tires to do that... Also the wider the wheels go, the more damage I risk. The only protection on the body is in the front. I am going to have to devise a way to mount some foam on the sides to protect the front wheels and rear wheels from impact.

I dont really need to go with wider wheels, since that will slow down my turning, and I have a very low center of gravity with this body already. It is quite lite in the rear, so it has to be driven with caution (I should be able to drive it quite a bit harder at SI. I mainly want to experiment with the lexan bodies and see how the downforce will play into effect. I am expecting Al to have the new Atomic bodies http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...3&page=1&pp=40 from the email he sent out. Im going to try to borrow some cash from my bro to get one... Joe may have already set one up for the races, who knows. I know those guys are gonna be surprised by this setup.

It will probably not complete all of the races flawlessly (if it even makes it through practice). I ran it quite a bit on the home RCP, hitting the walls pretty frequently in the beginning and there isnt much damage to the body (pictures were taken at the end of the night). I can take a front impact better than most other cars, but if I get hit into the rear, I have no protection. So basically I have to keep off the walls, and keep moving fast As long as I am coming up on them, they cant hit my rear Which is why I dont want to run it in MOD class, some people just try to hit the fastest speed they can in the straight, without having good handling in the turns. Ill see how it does in practice... If anything, it has an Enzo front clip, so I can swap to an Enzo if I need one... Or swap to any other MM with the change of the front clip... My Nellied car will only be running 4.5" bodies due to the CP Cup 2 kit.
Old 2005.12.13, 05:44 PM   #4
gasman1

Send a message via AIM to gasman1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
The Xmod project needs a rigid body. I wish this car was my modified car... But the FETs Magic had were bad. If it had FETs... I would definitely run mod class. I still may run it without FETs, just because I cannot run it in Stock and my MOD car is not done yet (waiting for rear damper plate and wheels/tires to come in). I dont have much clearance on the front, only about 2mm each side once the wheels are turned to full lock. I may be able to fit wide 0mm offset weels up front, with some doublewides that Magic had in the rear. Although, I dont have nearly enough tires to do that... Also the wider the wheels go, the more damage I risk. The only protection on the body is in the front. I am going to have to devise a way to mount some foam on the sides to protect the front wheels and rear wheels from impact.

I dont really need to go with wider wheels, since that will slow down my turning, and I have a very low center of gravity with this body already. It is quite lite in the rear, so it has to be driven with caution (I should be able to drive it quite a bit harder at SI. I mainly want to experiment with the lexan bodies and see how the downforce will play into effect. I am expecting Al to have the new Atomic bodies http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...3&page=1&pp=40 from the email he sent out. Im going to try to borrow some cash from my bro to get one... Joe may have already set one up for the races, who knows. I know those guys are gonna be surprised by this setup.

It will probably not complete all of the races flawlessly (if it even makes it through practice). I ran it quite a bit on the home RCP, hitting the walls pretty frequently in the beginning and there isnt much damage to the body (pictures were taken at the end of the night). I can take a front impact better than most other cars, but if I get hit into the rear, I have no protection. So basically I have to keep off the walls, and keep moving fast As long as I am coming up on them, they cant hit my rear Which is why I dont want to run it in MOD class, some people just try to hit the fastest speed they can in the straight, without having good handling in the turns. Ill see how it does in practice... If anything, it has an Enzo front clip, so I can swap to an Enzo if I need one... Or swap to any other MM with the change of the front clip... My Nellied car will only be running 4.5" bodies due to the CP Cup 2 kit.
Emu,

here's my 1/24 scale Lexan body on a pro-z chassis.. i've since replaced the wheels with Revolver wheels and F1 tires. They fill out the body better

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/gallery...lbum=13&pos=28
Old 2005.12.14, 12:26 AM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman1
Emu,

here's my 1/24 scale Lexan body on a pro-z chassis.. i've since replaced the wheels with Revolver wheels and F1 tires. They fill out the body better

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/gallery...lbum=13&pos=28
Great. Nice job. I just got that same body. Its not painted yet, and it will go on the MR02 modified chassis that I have built for 1/24 scale bodies. I will try to get some pics up in a bit of the chassis. I am using a CP Cup Car 2 conversion kit, with Revolver wheels (they weigh quite alot, but make the car VERY planted) and a customized rear damper (Atomic 102mm disc damper plate, Kyosho disk damper rings and post connected to an RM damper mount on a PN MM motormount). I am currently using a Nelly Deluxe turbo on it with an Atomic Stock motor, and due to the weight of the wheels (all four together they are around 30g) it is slightly above the speed of the open class, but is very planted in the corners. The running weight with Intellect cells is about 202g.

edit: here are some pics with a test body.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album757

Last edited by EMU; 2005.12.14 at 12:42 AM.
Old 2005.12.14, 07:05 AM   #6
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Great. Nice job. I just got that same body. Its not painted yet, and it will go on the MR02 modified chassis that I have built for 1/24 scale bodies. I will try to get some pics up in a bit of the chassis. I am using a CP Cup Car 2 conversion kit, with Revolver wheels (they weigh quite alot, but make the car VERY planted) and a customized rear damper (Atomic 102mm disc damper plate, Kyosho disk damper rings and post connected to an RM damper mount on a PN MM motormount). I am currently using a Nelly Deluxe turbo on it with an Atomic Stock motor, and due to the weight of the wheels (all four together they are around 30g) it is slightly above the speed of the open class, but is very planted in the corners. The running weight with Intellect cells is about 202g.

edit: here are some pics with a test body.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album757
where did you get that body at?
Old 2005.12.14, 11:39 AM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
where did you get that body at?
I got both the blue/white flame and the Orange/yellow flame on ebay (as stated in first post). I paid about $16 shipped for both bodies. Both of these bodies are 4" bodies, which would be good for a 102mm wheelbase. While the Porsche 962 would be good for 114mm chassis (which is what I have the CP Cup Car 2 chassis setup to be).

Ive never painted a lexan body before, so my first paintjob will be quite simple. Solid color, no decals. Yours came out quite well. Did your body come with the rear diffuser? I have seen two different versions of the body... I got my 962 from NCP Hobbies http://www.ncphobbies.com/cgi-bin/vc...isplayNumber=1 although this one looks different http://truescaleproducts.com/catalog...products_id=33 and cheaper... It does not have the rear diffuser, and does not have the driver pit.

Last edited by EMU; 2005.12.14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 2005.12.14, 12:18 PM   #8
InZane
Don't get mad-Get InZane

We've been racing lexan bodies for two years now in Sweden (other European contries as well).
I won the first Swedish Nats with a Chaparral 2F nearly two years ago.
The bodies are half (or less) the weight and twice as tough as the Autoscale bodies - not as detailed though.

>> Link to the Swedish Nats thread >>
InZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.14, 01:25 PM   #9
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
I got both the blue/white flame and the Orange/yellow flame on ebay (as stated in first post). I paid about $16 shipped for both bodies. Both of these bodies are 4" bodies, which would be good for a 102mm wheelbase. While the Porsche 962 would be good for 114mm chassis (which is what I have the CP Cup Car 2 chassis setup to be).

Ive never painted a lexan body before, so my first paintjob will be quite simple. Solid color, no decals. Yours came out quite well. Did your body come with the rear diffuser? I have seen two different versions of the body... I got my 962 from NCP Hobbies http://www.ncphobbies.com/cgi-bin/vc...isplayNumber=1 although this one looks different http://truescaleproducts.com/catalog...products_id=33 and cheaper... It does not have the rear diffuser, and does not have the driver pit.
\

I got mine from TrueScaleProducts for about $6.00 Best lexan body hands down both in detail and thickness. By the difusser, I assume your talking about the rear wing. It did come with it. I also hve the 917 Porsche I painted the Gulf blue racing scheme also on our website
Old 2005.12.14, 02:06 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
\

I got mine from TrueScaleProducts for about $6.00 Best lexan body hands down both in detail and thickness. By the difusser, I assume your talking about the rear wing. It did come with it. I also hve the 917 Porsche I painted the Gulf blue racing scheme also on our website
By diffuser, I mean the part that connects underneath the rear of the body. We have different bodies. http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/Pr...rf124/body.jpg This is how my body looks out of the packaging. You can notice the rear wing and diffuser are molded behind the body, and need to be cut out and mounted seperately.

Gasman, what is the wheelbase of your car? Mine is about 114mm for the 962. The other bodies are supposed to be for 102mm wheelbase, but I managed to fit it on the 114mm chassis. I need to get the time and paint to paint the 962. What paint did you use. My bro has an airbrush, so I may try that out, although I am still thinking of sticking with a solid color... White, Blue or Green.

I noticed the 917, it looks great as well.

Inzane, thanks for the info.

Last edited by EMU; 2005.12.14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2005.12.14, 02:22 PM   #11
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
By diffuser, I mean the part that connects underneath the rear of the body. We have different bodies. http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/Pr...rf124/body.jpg This is how my body looks out of the packaging. You can notice the rear wing and diffuser are molded behind the body, and need to be cut out and mounted seperately.

Gasman, what is the wheelbase of your car? Mine is about 114mm for the 962. The other bodies are supposed to be for 102mm wheelbase, but I managed to fit it on the 114mm chassis. I need to get the time and paint to paint the 962. What paint did you use. My bro has an airbrush, so I may try that out, although I am still thinking of sticking with a solid color... White, Blue or Green.

I noticed the 917, it looks great as well.

Inzane, thanks for the info.
My body didn't come with a difusser

I have to check, i had to make an extension for the diamond plate to get the wheel base right. I think it was about 104 mm if I remember correctly