Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.12.08, 03:24 AM   #1
killer
hehehe!..

¤ servo conversion ¤

:ö: if you have a Mini-X, Micro RS4 or any smaller rc project and you don't want to buy a 1/10 rc electronics (Reciever and ESC seperately) , you can now use your Mini-Z electronics (Reciever and ESC all in one board) on your Mini-RC, now all of us know that a Mini-Z servo is different from other Mini-RC who uses a sub-micro servo, which is a small version of the standard size servo used on 1/10 scale, and we all know that a standard size and sub-micro servo have 3 wires that connects directly to a reciever [red(+), black(-), and white(?)] and we need to use those three wires for it to work properly right? in case of 1/10 or of those who uses seperate RX the answer is yes, but for us to use it on our Mini-Z board the answer is NO, and it's quite impossible because the Z board have 4 wires connected to the servo, two for the Motor (black and red) and two on the potentioner (flesh and green where in one wire is connected on two of the pots feet) now here's a way on how we can use a sub-micro servo such as picco P&C 9grams sub-micro servo using Mini- Z electronics.
heres how....

1. remove the the four tiny long screw on the sub-micro servo.

2. the servo case has three parts, the cover, the body, and the gear case.

3.remove the cover only and carefully pull out the servo electronic board with the motor directly soldered on it.

4.the servo electronic board have three wires (yellow, green, flesh) connected to the servo potentioner plus the three colored wires (use to connect to a RX)

5.remove those three wires (yellow, green and flesh) from the pot by using a soldering iron.

6. then remove the motor from the servo board with your soldering iron too and place the motor back to it's original position on the servo.

7.now you can keep the servo electronic out (for future use), and you have a pot, motor and the gears left with you.

8.now the Z servo has a motor, pot and gears inside, two wires (black and red) connects the servo motor and Z board and another two (flesh and green) that connects to the pot. you may notice that one wire is soldered on the two of the three feet of the pot.

9.remove the wires on the Mini-Z servo motor and solder it on sub-micro servo motor,

10.then remove the wires on the Z pot and solder it to the sub-micro servo pot, the same manner as how it is soldered in on the Z's potentioner, wherein, one wire is soldered on two of the three feet of the potentioner.

..... now you have a Mini-Z board with a sub-micro servo that you can use on your Mini-X, Micro RS4 or any small RC that requires a 1/10 RC electronics and a 130 size or smaller motor.

Last edited by killer; 2002.12.08 at 08:38 AM.
killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.08, 02:35 PM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

Cool tip killer! Could you post a pic?
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.09, 02:24 AM   #3
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by mini-z
:ö: yup!, i will Mini-Z, but as soon as i'm finished with my 1/87 Mini-Z dump truck.. i'll post it here first , i think i can finish it within this week.
Old 2002.12.09, 02:19 PM   #4
bbc5

Send a message via ICQ to bbc5 Send a message via AIM to bbc5
killer,
that sounds cool,
now, is there anyway to do the reverse?
connecting a regular 1/10 scale receiver to the mini-z servo?
i tried this before and burned out the pots.
I think......
you have to use the standard servo circuit board, pot, and motor
to do this....
not sure though.
can anyone confirm?
as well, does anyone have the specs for the mini-z pot?
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.10, 03:17 AM   #5
killer
hehehe!..

¤ doing it in reverese¤

:ö: bbc5,
yes you can use your Mini-Z servo on a standard RX, but this will require you to use the electronics that you have removed from the sub-micro servo, because 1/10 RX doesnt have a built in servo electronics like the Mini-Z board have, remember on servo conversion procedure?, we have removed the sub-micro servo electronics, it's because the the Z board already have a built in one, the Z board is so amazing because it has RX, ESC and Servo Electronics all in one small board, i guess that's one reason why they charge the Zboard sooo high .
heres what you can do to use a Mini-Z servo on a standard 1/10 Reciever,

*TIP: "if you haven't done anything yet from the sub-Micro servo electronics, i suggest for you to draw on a piece of paper how each color coded wires is attached on the servo's pot, motor and electronic board before you remove anything from it's place.

now after you have drawn on the paper how all the wires are connectred, then proceed to this procedure

1. get the sub-micro electronic board that you have kept after the conversion, or if you already have one follow the procedure 1 to 6

2. then solder the black and red wires (NOT THE THREE COLORED WIRES WITH PLUG AT THE TIP) from the sub-micro electronics (use to be on the sub-micro servo motor) to your Mini-Z servo motor.

3. then solder the three wires (green, yellow, flesh wires that "was" attached on the sub-micro servo potentioner before) on your Mini-Z potentioner, but this time "solder each wire on each of the Z potentioner feet and remember the "TIP" follow how the wires was solder on the sub-micro servo pot, now solder it on the same manner how it was solder on the sub-micro pot to your Z servo potentioner.

4. now put a heat-shrink around the sub-micro electronics so it won't have any contact with metals that may cause short cicruit.

5.and secure it on the Mini-Z chassis with a double-sided tape, or if the Z servo case can accomodate the submicro servo electronics then place it inside the Z servo case (but don't forget to put a heat-shrink around the sub-micro servo electronics

there you have it, you can now use your Z servo with a standard 1/10 Reciever.

Last edited by killer; 2002.12.10 at 06:23 AM.
killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.10, 03:55 AM   #6
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by bbc5
does anyone have the specs for the mini-z pot?
:ö: i asked on the same question on my local electronic shop, and the tech said it's a 5K (ohm) potentioner. -æ
Old 2002.12.12, 07:58 PM   #7
killer
hehehe!..

Talking 1/87 mini-z truck!

:ö; i've finished a 1/87 truck last night i'm using a mini-z electronic board plus the servo conversion i made, i'll be posting some pics by next week, i still have to wait for the paint to dry.
Old 2002.12.15, 03:38 AM   #8
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by mini-z
:ö: here it is, my servo conversion on a 1/87 truck!

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Old 2002.12.30, 11:52 PM   #9
turboz
Mini-Z Novice

Iam trying to convert my mini-z to 1/10 electronics, working on the servo, has any one actually made the original servo and pot work with a regular rx? I gutted a regular size futaba servo got the board hooked up, I had to epoxy the pot in a little ****eyed to keep the steering centered. but the steering arm goes nuts, back and fourth crazy and then its cool, comes and goes, I havent even tried it with the servo case closed. It seems to me that the pot is not as good, smooth, acurate as the futaba original. any ideas? thanks
turboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.31, 10:14 AM   #10
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
because killer knows so much about electronics I just ask it here

Is it possible to putt a better, same size motor in the original servo ?, or you shave some neomagnets and putt em in the little thing haha, would be great...?
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.12.31, 10:37 AM   #11
turboz
Mini-Z Novice

so I put the futaba pot in the mini-z servo, I had to drill a hole and the pot is on the outside in the front. I would have to cut the top brace to mount it. but the same thing happens, steering arm works about 80%, there is still alot of shimmy and overcorrection or somthing it goes back and forth like its searching for the right spot, real quick, but it would definitely put me into wall when driving. I am about to give up and buy a micro servo and put the whole mess in there. I hooked up a tekin sport esc (huge) to my original motor and it spins it just dosnt seem knock your socks off fast. only have it on 4 AAA prolly need to add a few more cells to make that motor faster.
Old 2003.01.01, 07:20 PM   #12
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by turboz
Iam trying to convert my mini-z to 1/10 electronics, working on the servo, has any one actually made the original servo and pot work with a regular rx? I gutted a regular size futaba servo got the board hooked up, I had to epoxy the pot in a little ****eyed to keep the steering centered. but the steering arm goes nuts, back and fourth crazy and then its cool, comes and goes, I havent even tried it with the servo case closed. It seems to me that the pot is not as good, smooth, acurate as the futaba original. any ideas? thanks
:ö: check if your wirings are properly connected to it's proper place, as i have said on the instruction, before doing the surgery on your electronics, draw all possible wire connections on a piece of paper, so you will be able to put all the things to it's normal place!, or you may try lowering the voltage first, see if it works, now use a long-nose plier and carefully center the pot ti'll the servo motor stops moving, that's the time you install it inside your servo case. -æ

use a sub-micro servo electronic board, it uses the same value of potentioner as the pot on the mini-z cars.
Old 2003.01.01, 07:32 PM   #13
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by Sm0lders
because killer knows so much about electronics I just ask it here

:ö: thanks, but i don't know that much!

Is it possible to putt a better, same size motor in the original servo ?, or you shave some neomagnets and putt em in the little thing haha, would be great...?
:ö: well if you can find a better, stronger, faster and same size as the servo motor, then why not, but you have to do some fets surgery, if you notice that the servo fets and the fets use to drive the main motor, is the same (3004 fets), now, if you want to use a modified (if you have the talent to do that!, and you have same size neo magnets ) servo motor, or you can buy better same size servo motor, why not?, but you have to upgrade your servo fets too, to handle the high load better motor produce.-æ
Old 2003.01.01, 08:01 PM   #14
killer
hehehe!..

Quote:
Originally posted by turboz
so I put the futaba pot in the mini-z servo, I had to drill a hole and the pot is on the outside in the front. I would have to cut the top brace to mount it. but the same thing happens, steering arm works about 80%, there is still alot of shimmy and overcorrection or somthing it goes back and forth like its searching for the right spot, real quick, but it would definitely put me into wall when driving. I am about to give up and buy a micro servo and put the whole mess in there. I hooked up a tekin sport esc (huge) to my original motor and it spins it just dosnt seem knock your socks off fast. only have it on 4 AAA prolly need to add a few more cells to make that motor faster.
:ö: get a sub micro servo, and use it's electronics on your Z servo, it uses the same pot value as the pot on the Z servo, and as for the servo motor, the sub micro servo motor is bigger than the servo motor the Z servo, so you'll have no problem with it, so all have to do is move all the sub-micro servo electronic board wires (pot and motors) to your Z servo motor and pot, then you may be able to use your regular 1/10 rx on your Mini-Z, now about the speed of your 130 size motor hooked up on your tekin esc, check if you have a fully charge batteries, if not then i suggest you use a freshly charged batteries before testing it, but if want it faster, you can use 6pcs AAA or more numbers cells!, if and only if your esc can handle more than 6 Volts of power , but the more battery you use, the faster your motor will run, the shorter the life of your motor. -æ

hope this help!
Old 2003.01.01, 08:43 PM   #15
turboz
Mini-Z Novice

I just picked up a micro servo at my LHS now I need to find somthing to go from the servo horn to the tie rod. about 3mm away. I have some solid-core copper wire. Need to add somthing to fill in the space inbetween the servo and chassis, maybee wood epoxyed to the chopped z servo case. what about batterys? Iam thinking 6 AAA or AA, maybee. AA would need to cut back of batt holder, I hate to cut up the chassis. or those stick batterys the "rc car action's world, fastest rs4" (41mph) uses 10 flat cells. any one mount those? any one finish one of these, how fast are 1/10 electrics? Iam prolly gunna get the gpm moter mount with the two motor screws and a spy1 when I get the $$$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image10a.jpg (83.8 KB, 98 views)