Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.11.23, 03:26 PM   #16
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Send a message via AIM to ChattavegasSE
I played with one (with a dying set of batteries) in the LHS and ordered one off e b a y the next day. It oughtta be here soon; but it's for Christmas, so I won't get to play with it.

Like Mondo said, the decals are junk; and Ninja said he doesn't like the body-it's kinda cheesy looking.

The Mauler is 1/20 scale, but the body looks about 1/24 scale. Since the body is held on with four body posts instead of clips (like on MZ's) just about any body would work. I work at KB Toys. We sell a boxed set of two R/C trucks for ~$20, IIRC; both 1/24 (???) scale; one red Ford F-150 and one blue Ford Ranger. When my Mauler comes in, I'll pick those up from work to see if they'll fit.

I've been in the market for a good off road truck/buggy for a while now; and after all my researching and reading and thinking, I think the Mini Mauler is definitly a good choice.

Oh and MSRP is $99.99 for the MM.
Old 2004.11.25, 07:15 AM   #17
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Mauler

Agreed it does look toyish in appearance and there is room for improvement cosmeticaly too.
However, the Mini Mauler is one tough sunnovagun
I have driven mine flat out into a brick wall (intentionally) and the front bumper soaks the impact up with ease.
I've also driven it off some pretty high drop-offs and it handles life's little bumps with a smile.

Up to now I am impressed with it and I believe it uses the same electronics as the Mini-T according to a Member on YourMicro.com

My next trick is to drive over it with my Land Rover, heck I'll break this bargain basement RC truck if it kills me!
Only kidding, but I do drive it a lot more than my MMZs as it's a lot tougher than the MMZ.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.25, 09:57 AM   #18
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo
Agreed it does look toyish in appearance and there is room for improvement cosmeticaly too.
However, the Mini Mauler is one tough sunnovagun
I have driven mine flat out into a brick wall (intentionally) and the front bumper soaks the impact up with ease.
I've also driven it off some pretty high drop-offs and it handles life's little bumps with a smile.

Up to now I am impressed with it and I believe it uses the same electronics as the Mini-T according to a Member on YourMicro.com

My next trick is to drive over it with my Land Rover, heck I'll break this bargain basement RC truck if it kills me!
Only kidding, but I do drive it a lot more than my MMZs as it's a lot tougher than the MMZ.
Sorry to go of post but Mondo what are your views on the new LR3? I dont lke the engine change...I like the added HP but It seems there may be issus of quick fixes deep in the woods...
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.25, 09:16 PM   #19
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Sounds good Mondo. I can't wait to start in on mine.

Question though, Hobby Zone's site (and pamphlet) says you can run the four cell or five cell battery packs. They make a six cell battery pack, too, why not run that one? I guess since the MM is built for 4AA's (1.5v each = 6.0v total) the battery packs are 6.0v for the 5 cell and 4.8v for the 4 cell; the 6 cell's 7.2 would be too much? I mean, check my signature!
Old 2004.11.25, 11:11 PM   #20
solartech
r/c user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattavegasSE
Sounds good Mondo. I can't wait to start in on mine.

Question though, Hobby Zone's site (and pamphlet) says you can run the four cell or five cell battery packs. They make a six cell battery pack, too, why not run that one? I guess since the MM is built for 4AA's (1.5v each = 6.0v total) the battery packs are 6.0v for the 5 cell and 4.8v for the 4 cell; the 6 cell's 7.2 would be too much? I mean, check my signature!
I have seen that radio system used in other vehicals like the mini-t and some 14th scale cars (Carisma ,i think). The electronics should be over-kill for the amp draw of a 180 sized motor. I safely run a 6-cell pack with a 20 turn motor. The mini-t uses a 280 sized motor too. So goahead and run 6-cells!!!
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.25, 11:44 PM   #21
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by solartech
I have seen that radio system used in other vehicals like the mini-t and some 14th scale cars (Carisma ,i think). The electronics should be over-kill for the amp draw of a 180 sized motor. I safely run a 6-cell pack with a 20 turn motor. The mini-t uses a 280 sized motor too. So goahead and run 6-cells!!!
I run teh 6cell Orion rocket or ratzas packs in my mini-t not a problem...not one bit...in fact I think 8 may still be OK
Old 2004.11.26, 01:14 PM   #22
kmac1228

Tha Little Truck That Could!!!!!! :d
kmac1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.28, 09:56 PM   #23
GiantScale

Im thinking about getting a few of these for the family.

What's the turn radius on them? We enjoyed the overlands when they were released. But there just to fragile & expensive to repair.

Which 180 motors would be a good hop up? How large of a motor can (diameter) will the mounting plate except? speed 300 ? Are they well suited for outdoor running? Dirt, snow? lol

Maybe I'll drop the hacker B20 & lipo's in one..

Thanks
GiantScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.29, 02:50 AM   #24
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Mini Mauler

GiantScale

The turning circle isn't too bad, it has a tendancy to lift one of the rear wheels and suffer from a little diff slip on carpet. A difflock would be nice.
What I do love about the Mauler is just how tough this little critter is.

As for motors, the motor mount won't allow a 300 sized motor to be fitted unless you so some serious trimming and shoehorning.
I'm sure one of the GPM or Novak 180 sized cans would compliment it nicely.
Mini-Z bearings fit the front wheels nicely and I am still sourcing bearings for the rear wheels/axle area.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.11.29, 10:42 AM   #25
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

6 cells it is!

Mondo-any off roading yet?
Old 2004.11.29, 04:31 PM   #26
GiantScale

Man.. Theres nothing wrong with this truck. Looks like it blows away the overland since its so easily upgradeable. & much tougher! A brick wall Mondo?

But how about dirt or snow getting in the motor & running gear? Could you keep it clean & dry enough?

The guy on ebay has bearings for 11 bucks. He has a deal for 2 maulers with all batteries (24) & 2 5 cell NIMH batterys & chargers for 220 shipped. Can I do any better than that?
Old 2004.11.29, 04:36 PM   #27
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale
Man.. Theres nothing wrong with this truck. Looks like it blows away the overland since its so easily upgradeable. & much tougher! A brick wall Mondo?

But how about dirt or snow getting in the motor & running gear? Could you keep it clean & dry enough?

The guy on ebay has bearings for 11 bucks. He has a deal for 2 maulers with all batteries (24) & 2 5 cell NIMH batterys & chargers for 220 shipped. Can I do any better than that?

Isn't it a bunch bigger than an overland? If so its hardy a comparison...maybe to the MZM would be better...how does it compare to that? How is the battery configuration?

What sort of upgrades are there? I'm toying with a small MT but am not sure where to go...MZM...the x-ray...tamiya (though the last too seem too big for me as I have a mini-t and 1/10)...hmmm

Last edited by ruknd@aol.com; 2004.11.29 at 04:44 PM.
Old 2004.11.29, 04:56 PM   #28
GiantScale

Not much bigger. 7" long 5" wide 5" tall Looks like a good living room basher.
Old 2004.11.29, 11:26 PM   #29
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

My Mauler review

Mine came in the mail today; I'll try to answer as many questions as I remember reading/having so far.

Scale: it says it's 1/20th scale, but there's no way that's accurate; more like 1/24 or maybe closer to the MZOL's 1/28. It's not a big truck by any means. I havn't put any other bodies up to it yet, but I'll stop by a hobby store tomorrow to test fit a couple.

Speed: with the included batteries, this thing will flip over on its roof if you roll it in reverse and then hit the throttle. You have to be soft on the steering because it rolls at full speed; but it is very easy to keep under control; even on two wheels. On the tough carpet in my den anyway; on the linoleum in my kitchen, it hooks up really well and takes off with some force.

Stability: it does take a smooth hand to corner at high speeds. Don't expect the Mauler to keep all 4 wheels on the ground under high speed cornering; but it will surprise you with its agility.

The Perfex remote works with the Mini Mauler! I used the included remote; but I missed the adjustable steering and the feel of the steering wheel. The Mauler's remote's steering wheel is a soft tire that is hollow and slips on the wheel. Stick the crystal in your Mini Z remote and you're golden.

The decals look like they'll come off easily; maybe that'll be another project for tomorrow.

Off road capability: it's half past midnight and 40 degrees outside; I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.
Old 2004.11.29, 11:35 PM   #30
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

ruknd - I am very happy with my Mauler. There are a few upgrades availible that HobbyZone advertises/sells:

Ball bearing set $13
Upgrade motor (180 size) $15
Wheel upgrade $3/pair - the manual says they're yellow; hopefully that means gold; not neon like the Mini T but since they're $3/pair and the stock chrome wheels are $5/pair, I think they're plain neon.
4.8v 4-cell battery pack $15
6.0v 5-cell battery pack $18
2 1/2 hour wall charger w/time $10
DC peak charger $20
Pinion gear bag $2.50

I plan to run their 7.2v 6-cell battery pack for $???.

Also, you can easily order any other part off the truck from HobbyZone. The manual has an almost complete parts list, and their website has even more stuff. Basically, if you break something; you can replace it easily.

Of course, like any R/C car, there really is no limit to the mods you can do; heck, my Tyco has more mods than my 1:1 car; but neither one runs right anyway.