Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.11.16, 03:47 PM   #1
Capt-Zoom

i-series

I just found out that I can't improbe the FETs on an iseries (which already have smaller FETs). I haven't opened them yet and got them for really cheap. Should I even keep them?

Are i-series faster than:
-MR-010 AWD
-iwaver
-xmod?

Man I'm ticked...why would Kyosho make something you can't improve?
Capt-Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.16, 03:54 PM   #2
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Who says you cant improve them? They arent any different than the regular AM FETs that came on the older cars. People upgraded them all the time.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.16, 04:10 PM   #3
Capt-Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
Who says you cant improve them? They arent any different than the regular AM FETs that came on the older cars. People upgraded them all the time.
Atomic Mods just told me that the FETs can't be improved. I bought them based off their comments

"Team AtomicMods Comments:The MR-015 only shares the battery holder with the MR-01, but shares many components with the MR-02. In fact, you can change a few parts and these become an MR-02 for the ultimate in flexibility. This is a good platform as it allows you to use bodies that were made to fit the MR-01 yet still has many of the technological advances that the MR02 is known for. - Rob "

But if you can't improve the FETs to get it to handle bigger motors is the i-series even worth getting? I feel like I just wasted my $80 for two cars. Also you get no brakes which I think kinda sucks.

How do the i-series compare for speed agianst other chassis types or brands like iwaver or xmod?

Last edited by Capt-Zoom; 2009.11.16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 2009.11.16, 04:13 PM   #4
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Where did you hear you can't change the fets on an iseries board? I can't see any reason why that would be the case.

To your question about if the iseries is faster than other boards.. The iseries board is a standard AM board w/o brake. It should be just as fast as any other AM kyosho board, provided you don't plan to use the brake. Many people don't, but many do.

-MR-010 AWD Depends on who is driving them :P
-iwaver Should be about the same, people say iwaver is lower quality though
-xmod? iseries is faster.
Old 2009.11.16, 04:18 PM   #5
Capt-Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Where did you hear you can't change the fets on an iseries board? I can't see any reason why that would be the case.

To your question about if the iseries is faster than other boards.. The iseries board is a standard AM board w/o brake. It should be just as fast as any other AM kyosho board, provided you don't plan to use the brake. Many people don't, but many do.

-MR-010 AWD Depends on who is driving them :P
-iwaver Should be about the same, people say iwaver is lower quality though
-xmod? iseries is faster.
Thanks for the answers. I was surprised too. It doesn't make sense that you can't upgrade the FETs to get a stronger motor. Am I wrong?

So what do you guys think...is the i-series worth keeping? Any of you guys have them?
Also can they use most body types: I have the VW Golf Gti and eventually would like to get the initial D bodies (AE86, RX7FC, RX7FD)

Thanks.
Old 2009.11.16, 04:20 PM   #6
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

What?? I think you are confused. I-Series has NOTHING to do with MR-01, so the quote from AtomicMods makes zero sense to me in this context.

You can absolutely upgrade the FETs on an iSeries car.

You have asked about how 'fast' the car is in comparison to other chassis, and, if you are just driving flat out down a street any Xmod/Iwaver/iSeries/Kyosho ASF will all be identical in speed if you use the same motor, same fets, and same batteries.

The reason the Kyosho cars are "FASTER" is because you can make them handle better. Meaning they handle better, more consistently, and are basically better cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-Zoom View Post
Atomic Mods just told me that the FETs can be improved. I bought them based off their comments

"Team AtomicMods Comments:The MR-015 only shares the battery holder with the MR-01, but shares many components with the MR-02. In fact, you can change a few parts and these become an MR-02 for the ultimate in flexibility. This is a good platform as it allows you to use bodies that were made to fit the MR-01 yet still has many of the technological advances that the MR02 is known for. - Rob "

But if you can't improve the FETs to get it to handle bigger motors is the i-series even worth getting? I feel like I just wasted my $80 for two cars. Also you get no brakes which I think kinda sucks.

How do the i-series compare for speed agianst other chassis types or brands like iwaver or xmod?
Old 2009.11.16, 04:28 PM   #7
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I am curious to know why you think you can't change the fets on an iSeries car... I still don't see any reason why you couldn't.

In regards to "is the i-series worth keeping"; that is up to you and what you are going to do with the cars. If you are going to be racing at a track with other people you should keep the iseries cars, because they are the entry level car into real racing. An iwaver or xmod just won't cut it in real competition; and honestly an iseries is just the first step. Eventually you'd want to upgrade to 2.4 ASF, but that is considerably more expensive, so, start with iseries to see if you even like doing it.

If you are just going to drive the cars in your basement with your buddies, then the iseries is perfect. Basically I think the xmods are toys, and if you want a decent 1/28 RC the i-series is the lowest cost car you are going to find that is decent quality. so yes, keep the iseries.

In regards to body types, the iseries uses the MR-015 chassis which is narrower than the MR-02 chassis. This means you can run pretty much any body; provided you have the correct offset wheels.

See this link for all the bodies on the left that are MR-015, http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm Note that you could run the MR-02 bodies on the right but you'll need wider front offset wheels, and this is generally not good for performance, but it would work.

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I was surprised too. It doesn't make sense that you can't upgrade the FETs to get a stronger motor. Am I wrong?

So what do you guys think...is the i-series worth keeping? Any of you guys have them?
Also can they use most body types: I have the VW Golf Gti and eventually would like to get the initial D bodies (AE86, RX7FC, RX7FD)

Thanks.
Old 2009.11.16, 04:39 PM   #8
Capt-Zoom

Quote:
I am curious to know why you think you can't change the fets on an iSeries car... I still don't see any reason why you couldn't.

In regards to "is the i-series worth keeping"; that is up to you and what you are going to do with the cars. If you are going to be racing at a track with other people you should keep the iseries cars, because they are the entry level car into real racing. An iwaver or xmod just won't cut it in real competition; and honestly an iseries is just the first step. Eventually you'd want to upgrade to 2.4 ASF, but that is considerably more expensive, so, start with iseries to see if you even like doing it.

If you are just going to drive the cars in your basement with your buddies, then the iseries is perfect. Basically I think the xmods are toys, and if you want a decent 1/28 RC the i-series is the lowest cost car you are going to find that is decent quality. so yes, keep the iseries.

In regards to body types, the iseries uses the MR-015 chassis which is narrower than the MR-02 chassis. This means you can run pretty much any body; provided you have the correct offset wheels.

See this link for all the bodies on the left that are MR-015, http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm Note that you could run the MR-02 bodies on the right but you'll need wider front offset wheels, and this is generally not good for performance, but it would work.
With bodies, I 'm wondering if I have to switch the motor to a lower mount for the Initial D bodies (AE86,RX7FD, RX7FC.)

Basically, my family and I race nitro trucks (Revo3.3 and Tmaxx3.3) a lot (we have our own 30yrd square track with 6 ft jumps during the summer) and wanted something to race for fun indoors during the winter...I thought these might be worth trying. And since i got one for $37 and the other for $50 both new in box I thought it might be worth trying. We'd be racing on a variety of survaces (concrete, carpet, pool table, hardwood floor). I figured buying these would be a good intro to these for us. We're used to bashing truck and modding them so I thought this would be fun. I'd like to drift but don't want to spend a ton of money on the 010s.

Also reading Atomicmods comments they suggests its a versitile platform. But when I emailed them earlier today they told me that you can't mod the iseries much (no modding of FETs)...they didn't explain why. THey said not having brakes isn't much of a problem.

With fast, I probably should have said competitive. If we all have i-series its not to big of a deal but if someone else gets a regular MR015, MR02, or MR010 its really going to stink when you loose all the time. I do that to them with my revo's since they all have t-maxxs) It gets frustrating.

My problem is now i'm having second thoughts about keeping these if they aren't very good. I can always ebay them off. But I doubt I'd get a regular 015 or 010 for those prices.

What do you guys think?
Old 2009.11.16, 05:09 PM   #9
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

the fets can be changed(ive upgraded 3-4 i-series for customers)
A.M may be telling you they cant as the i-series board is more tricky to do the conversion on cleanly,its made from cheaper materials and the circuit sometimes lifts off with too much heat i.e soldering
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.16, 05:12 PM   #10
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

If you paid $80 for two cars; that is a good deal. Now your question makes more sense.

Unless you want to spend significantly more money the iSeries is as good as it is going to get. If someone has an iWaver they should be about the same as the chassis are very similar. An xmod will not be able to keep up. We race MR-010's with MR-02's and they are very close in performance.

IMHO, I wouldn't sell the iseries.. Unless you are willing to pay about $225 for an ASF 2.4 Kyosho car and basic controller. The alternative would be to get a standard AM Kyosho car, and those just aren't much better than the iseries, other than that they have brakes.

The cars pretty close in performance if they are setup the same. For example if I have an iseries, an AM MR-02, and an ASF 2.4 MR-02, they aren't going to be dramatically different in performance. The ASF car will be the fastest because it'll have the best control, and since it has 2x2 FETs it will be faster. The AM MR-02 is going to be the same as the iseries since it is 2x1 FETs.. When you upgrade FETs the motor power difference will be gone, but AM is still less control than ASF. Then again, ASF is easily $200 for a decent car from new parts, $140 used.

I wouldn't worry about height, the bodies should fit.

Here is a picture of an i-series board; and you can plainly see the FETS on the left side. You can change them just like any other AM car, and they look even easier to do than a standard MR-02 board.

Quote:
With bodies, I 'm wondering if I have to switch the motor to a lower mount for the Initial D bodies (AE86,RX7FD, RX7FC.)

Basically, my family and I race nitro trucks (Revo3.3 and Tmaxx3.3) a lot (we have our own 30yrd square track with 6 ft jumps during the summer) and wanted something to race for fun indoors during the winter...I thought these might be worth trying. And since i got one for $37 and the other for $50 both new in box I thought it might be worth trying. We'd be racing on a variety of survaces (concrete, carpet, pool table, hardwood floor). I figured buying these would be a good intro to these for us. We're used to bashing truck and modding them so I thought this would be fun. I'd like to drift but don't want to spend a ton of money on the 010s.

Also reading Atomicmods comments they suggests its a versitile platform. But when I emailed them earlier today they told me that you can't mod the iseries much (no modding of FETs)...they didn't explain why. THey said not having brakes isn't much of a problem.

With fast, I probably should have said competitive. If we all have i-series its not to big of a deal but if someone else gets a regular MR015, MR02, or MR010 its really going to stink when you loose all the time. I do that to them with my revo's since they all have t-maxxs) It gets frustrating.

My problem is now i'm having second thoughts about keeping these if they aren't very good. I can always ebay them off. But I doubt I'd get a regular 015 or 010 for those prices.

What do you guys think?
Old 2009.11.16, 05:15 PM   #11
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
the fets can be changed(ive upgraded 3-4 i-series for customers)
A.M may be telling you they cant as the i-series board is more tricky to do the conversion on cleanly,its made from cheaper materials and the circuit sometimes lifts off with too much heat i.e soldering
If that is the case, don't bother removing the old FETs. Just stick a single layer of 8858's on top of the 3004/3010s, and you'll be able to run more than 6amps; so basically any motor.

http://mini-z-guide.com/mosfet.htm
Old 2009.11.16, 05:25 PM   #12
Capt-Zoom

Quote:
If you paid $80 for two cars; that is a good deal. Now your question makes more sense.

Unless you want to spend significantly more money the iSeries is as good as it is going to get. If someone has an iWaver they should be about the same as the chassis are very similar. An xmod will not be able to keep up. We race MR-010's with MR-02's and they are very close in performance.

IMHO, I wouldn't sell the iseries.. Unless you are willing to pay about $225 for an ASF 2.4 Kyosho car and basic controller. The alternative would be to get a standard AM Kyosho car, and those just aren't much better than the iseries, other than that they have brakes.

The cars pretty close in performance if they are setup the same. For example if I have an iseries, an AM MR-02, and an ASF 2.4 MR-02, they aren't going to be dramatically different in performance. The ASF car will be the fastest because it'll have the best control, and since it has 2x2 FETs it will be faster. The AM MR-02 is going to be the same as the iseries since it is 2x1 FETs.. When you upgrade FETs the motor power difference will be gone, but AM is still less control than ASF. Then again, ASF is easily $200 for a decent car from new parts, $140 used.

I wouldn't worry about height, the bodies should fit.

Here is a picture of an i-series board; and you can plainly see the FETS on the left side. You can change them just like any other AM car, and they look even easier to do than a standard MR-02 board.

Thanks so much for all of your help guys. Sorry that this ended up in the 015 forum...i just realized that there is an iseries forum. I'm a total newby with mini-z and this site.

I'll keep the i-series and look into eventually upgrading the FETs if we need to. I'm not too worried about breaking since I won't be airborne like my traxxas revo...the only time I use brakes with that is to do mid air adjustmints in pitch.

Now I just gotta find those initial D bodies for a reasonable price. Seems crazy that these bodies are like $40.

Thanks agian all...I think I'm going to like it here.
Old 2009.11.16, 05:30 PM   #13
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I think you are on the right track now. You can definitely upgrade the FETs on the iseries board. I would only reccomend an experienced solderer to perform the task though (which is the same with any FET swap, on any board).

I would like to say though, that these dont come with the same FETs as the new AM boards. The iseries come with the 3004 FET, where the newer (about two years now Id guess) AM boards come with 3010 FETs. The 3010s are a bit better (30% per Kyosho) then the 3004s.

That being said, you still got a good deal on your cars. They should provide you with a good introduction to MiniZ. For pretty cheap you should be able to buy the components to change the cars over to whatever bodies youd like to run. If you get serious about racing them (I assume there are other potential racers in your area) Id invest in a proper track. Just like with your larger scale RCs, you wont get the full idea of what they are capable, and in turn you wont get the full enjoyment out of them, if you arent running them on a porper sruface. Depending on the carpet, you may get a taste of what they can do, but an RCP track really puts them into a truely competetive class.

As far as whats fastest, it wont matter if you go with anything other than a MiniZ in a race setting. Ive had quite a few MiniZs, Iwaivers, and Xmods. Only MiniZs get any use at all. Its because they outshine the others ten fold! If you are looking for all out speed in a straight line, you can make any of them rip. You would be hard pressed to mod any Xmod to run with a well dialed MiniZ with minimal upgrades on anything other than an oval, and even on an oval it would be a task.

EDIT: I was typing this when you made your last post. Everything still applies I guess

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote