Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.06.03, 04:53 PM   #1
J-Milz

Road coaese OL

In hopes that Action in SI, NY adopt a road course OL class I'd like to be ready. I had it at the track last night to get the bugs out, but it kept flipping in the corners. Later at home I installed 30 wht oil in the 3 Racing shocks, and a shim in the front to lower it. I also cut the drivers and passanger side windows out and dremeled some of the top inner window plastic to get some of the weight out of the top. What else can I do?

The X5 looks sick doing laps and I dont wanna give up on the idea yet. I wanna slam it as low as possible and keep the 21.5 Atomic chrome wheels. Any suggestions?

Last edited by J-Milz; 2018.02.23 at 05:36 PM.
J-Milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.04, 02:33 AM   #2
Pierro

You can make the body fit on a MR02 or 015 chassis.

You'll need to change the body clips and made a front one but some guys do run like that...
Pierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.04, 08:07 AM   #3
soulstice

Actually an easy mod on an 015 is to cut a slot into the front part of the battery compartment which will allow you to mount an overland body straight on. You will probably need to relocate the mounts on the overland body so it is attached higher allowing it to sit lower over the chassis.

I've done this myself and it worked great.
Old 2009.06.04, 11:12 AM   #4
MantisMMA
tire schredder

pix???? i gotta see this!!

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.04, 12:31 PM   #5
soulstice

It's nothing fancy, just taking a dremel and cutting two small grooves into the battery compartment to take the Overland mount(since it has 4 mount points).

I don't have a picture that I can find and I no longer have the car so you'll have to use your imagination. That is unless someone can find the japanese blog which I originally saw the mod on. Basically they were doing a race series using overland bodies on MR015.
Old 2009.06.04, 01:38 PM   #6
J-Milz

road course OL

Yeah, but that is still a 015 w/ a OL body. Which is cool but its still an 015! I want a truck that can carve corners w/o tipping. I managed to lower mine a bit and take the corners much better, but its not "there" yet. I like going outside the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x5.jpg (30.0 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by J-Milz; 2009.06.04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 2009.06.04, 02:04 PM   #7
Felix2010

That X5 is pretty cool Seeing a Porsche Cayenne, X5, Toyota Land Cruiser, and Toyota Harrier, that sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe even a tweaked G55L, Hummer, and Escalade might be able to join in. Interesting to see what kind of lap-times these tuned-OL's could lay down compared to MR015-02's and MA010's.

I don't own an OL, but if an OL race class started than that would be enough to get me onto these bodies, provided the MR015/MR02 chassis could be used with the OL bodies.
I think I've read about a couple clubs racing Mini-Vans using the MR02 platform. Why not Overlands??
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 09:18 PM   #8
referjohn
REINSTATED

Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Milz View Post
Yeah, but I want a truck that can carve corners w/o tipping. I managed to lower mine a bit and take the corners much better, but its not "there" yet. I like going outside the box.
My F-150 has not tipped since i cut the rear springs, and it really floats around my new layout. I might lower the front- but right now it tracks great,plus it looks west coast with the tail draggin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f150 Track OL.jpg (72.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg overlands 009.jpg (70.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg streched HFAY #12.jpg (72.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 2009.10.28, 11:26 PM   #9
J-Milz

I like that F-150 but the rear is way too low when compared to the front. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well as a demon on the track. A few guys at Action RC in Staten Island during the summer nationals ran their OL with weights on the bottom and one guy even had a zip tie to limit his Escalade's suspension travel. I would like to see a setup that not only carves corners but could take a jump or two. Am I asking for too much? Why cant Kyosho make a "Slash type" Short course truck for the 1/28 guys?
Old 2009.12.15, 07:59 PM   #10
J-Milz

I was wondering if anyone was able to fit the New 03 board w/ the new servo motor and delay free board in the monster/ OL?
Old 2010.03.03, 05:51 PM   #11
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

The guys at Salt Lake Mini-Z have been racing Overlands for a few years now. Its part of our regular rotation of race night. What we do is use the same RCP track we have set up for racers and f1s and just modify it a bit. By modify I mean make jumps and add obstacles. Usually we will lift a bunch of sections of tack up and stuff an upside down piece under it so the jumps are about 2-3 inches tall. Lots of times we will make a whole rythym section of 4 or 5 jumps right in a row, we bank turns, and make tall 1 foot size jumps with a downside landing and really just tear it up. We also sometimes throw out cornering dots, or corrigated fiberglass, or lattice, and just about anything that makes a fun or challenging obstacle, even going off the RCP then back on with a small jump.

For the Overlands themselves we have found that the H1 body seems to work the best for stability, maybe because its lighter. However some of they guys run F150's and BMW's also. For suspension it ranges from 3 racing oil shocks to Kyosho oil or even stock spring shocks. What we found works the best for wheels is actually MR-02 rims with a +3 offset on all 4 corners. We take some old narrow tires and put them on the rims first then put on the OL tires over the top. I like to glue the tires on but others dont. Also some of us have the alloy RCX rear mount because the stock ones break. We all have Core transponders for timing and racing is a freakin blast. Its just for fun as we dont keep track week by week. This is a link to my gallery when I first got my OL. . I've changed it a bit with the 3R shocks and the alloy rear end as well as a 2.4asf board, and bumper (Man I should take some updated pics .)

Anyway I highly suggest a class for racing the Overlands. We have a really good time with them. Poke around on Salt Lake Mini-Z and you should be able to find some older videos of our OL races in the gallery.

Have Fun!!
Old 2010.03.04, 07:45 AM   #12
Davey G
Need a mini z Painted????

Send a message via MSN to Davey G
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Milz View Post
In hopes that Action in SI, NY adopt a road coarse OL class I'd like to be ready. I had it at the track last night to get the bugs out, but it kept flipping in the corners. Later at home I installed 30 wht oil in the 3 Racing shocks, and a shim in the front to lower it. I also cut the drivers and passanger side windows out and dremeled some of the top inner window plastic to get some of the weight out of the top. What else can I do?

The X5 looks sick doing laps and I dont wanna give up on the idea yet. I wanna slam it as low as possible and keep the 21.5 Atomic chrome wheels. Any suggestions?
Hi Jamil,

Do you run AWD on a regular basis? Either way, in AWD you HAVE to glue the side wall of the front tires. This is definitely what you need to do on your overland. I also want to get an overland to play with. Have you seen the Micro T's run on RCP yet? Hit me up via PM and I will show you a video. The side walls both inside and outside of our tires are CA'd....

Talk to you soon!!!!

Custom Paint, Custom Stickers, Wraps, Pitboards, Graphic Design

TEAM DRIVER FOR: PN RACING, TRP, TEAM SCREAM, DG DESIGNS
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.04, 08:52 AM   #13
J-Milz

Dave, I have seen the Micro T race on youtube at Maj's. It looks fun! Al ran a Monster /OL class at the summernationals last year and the drivers had a ball. (The marshalls hated it, though).
I have run AWD in the past and I now understand how important CA is on the sidewalls. I never thought to put it on my OL though. I ran my OL with 20 degree LM rear tires all around, and I believe I needed a harder tire in front to help stop the roll. PN or someone should really come out with parts for the OL! Lack of support added to its discontinuence.

Check this out:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attach...4&d=1266248070

Last edited by J-Milz; 2010.03.04 at 05:49 PM.