Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.02.10, 10:50 PM   #1
Valkyrie001

Smile Help Im Super New

Hi; my name is Alex and Ive had my MR-03s for some time now and Im wondering what upgrades should i start off with.
Valkyrie001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.11, 02:59 AM   #2
herman

greetings alex and welcome to the forums...

there are lots of upgrades that you can put on the mr03... but you are on the right track asking... there will be different answers... but for me the bare minimum would be according to importance... 1 tires (softer or grippier tires than the stock) 2 bearinigs 3 t plate... and that's it... from there you can go crazy... but i'm the cheap guy trying to find out the best performance without busting the bank...

a couple of questions for you... where are you located? is there a track neareby? go to the track and i'm sure guys will be more than willing to help out with your set up... how much are you willing to spend? i guess the thing here is that if you can try out part by part to see or feel how they are on your car... and if it works for you and your driving style... good luck and hope this helps...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.11, 07:20 AM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Couldn't agree more with Herman. Start with the basics and work from there. You can go $30 for basics up to $120 a arm front suspension alone. The money can spiral upward quickly if your throwing stuff out there to see what sticks so to speak.

If racing with a club or store, best advice is to ask within that group for more specific responses to your track.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.13, 07:34 PM   #4
Valkyrie001

I live in Washington State and from what I can see there is no tracks and the bigger scale guys wont race me espically at hobby stores where there are race tracks....
Old 2016.02.13, 08:52 PM   #5
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Are you in southern Washington State? There's a track/club in Portland which might not be too bad of a drive depending on where you're located.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.13, 10:40 PM   #6
Valkyrie001

Everett, that is roughly 30 min north of Seattle
Old 2016.02.13, 11:17 PM   #7
herman

Biggest fun would to be racing with other guys... otherwise garage / basement bashing could get really boring really quickly... Unless you are a die hard fanatic like me... Hehehe...
You could probably ask the hobby shop owner if there are other tracks out there...
Old 2016.02.14, 07:40 AM   #8
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie001 View Post
Everett, that is roughly 30 min north of Seattle
Then you should come to our events if you can drive. Check out

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40520

The usual location for our club events is about 30 min over the border so if you can schedule accordingly...

You really have to be motivated like me. ...I drive about 2 hr each way since I live in Whistler. I really like mini z racing though.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.14, 11:48 PM   #9
Valkyrie001

everyone is out of the circuit kit that comes with tires, springs and bearings, also the parts that Im looking for is out of stock; must be the beginning of racing season. Where do you guys shop at for all your parts that are in stock
Old 2016.02.15, 01:17 AM   #10
Valkyrie001

after looking for two days I could not believe that I found this...Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03/MR-03S Sports MM Circuit Pack and at the store that is link to this web site. THANK GOD because everything that herman said I need this pack has it. Now I know this is early to ask what is the next step besides try this pack out. Thank you guys for everything
Old 2016.02.15, 11:25 AM   #11
Mike Keely

Quote:
everyone is out of the circuit kit that comes with tires, springs and bearings, also the parts that Im looking for is out of stock; must be the beginning of racing season. Where do you guys shop at for all your parts that are in stock
You should try the Tiny RC site first. You will see the link up on the left just under the Home link.
Old 2016.02.16, 01:09 AM   #12
Valkyrie001

Thank You Mike, I believe that Ill be going to that web site from now on because that was the only online store that had exactly what I was looking for. Just now looking for the next step in my modifications. Question.... I see that there is stage 1,2 and I believe I saw stage 3 parts now what engine can I put into my MR-03S without messing with the board or should I concentrate on other parts of the car and worry about the engine last. Thank You again
Old 2016.02.16, 07:48 AM   #13
briankstan

Quote:
Thank You Mike, I believe that Ill be going to that web site from now on because that was the only online store that had exactly what I was looking for. Just now looking for the next step in my modifications. Question.... I see that there is stage 1,2 and I believe I saw stage 3 parts now what engine can I put into my MR-03S without messing with the board or should I concentrate on other parts of the car and worry about the engine last. Thank You again
I wouldn't worry to much about changing the motor out yet, first is to get some track time and learn to drive the car. Once you get to the point you feel the car is holding you back then look to do some other upgrades.

A disk damper and top shock make good upgrades in handling as well as either a ball diff or adjustable gear diff.

When it comes to the front of the car the best thing to do is add the PN A-arm, It's has all the setting you'd ever want and it'll let you try different camber setting without buying lots of other parts. if you're not racing it's probably not needed and you could get buy with maybe some springs and a set of 1 degree camber knuckles.

when you do decide to change the motor it's not recommended that you run anything fast than a 70T on the sports boards unless you upgrade the fets.
Old 2016.02.16, 07:28 PM   #14
Valkyrie001

Thank you briankstan; I will follow your advice and hermans advice. Hopefully the day that I am comfortable with my mini z I will be ready to race one day.
Old 2016.02.17, 05:46 AM   #15
herman

I thought I saw kyosho bundle some parts together, but it was in Japanese so I didn't think that they actually sold it as a bundle. Guess it's good marketing... Glad to have helped... as it is now, unfortunately there are no commercial track where I live so racing my z's have been so very few and far in between... if I get the time (kinda rare these days) I run my z's on vacant badminton courts... sadly alone... but fun nonetheless...

On some occasions when I get to travel, I try to visit mini-z tracks / shops abroad... and write about my adventures and post them on the forums to share my experiences with the others... If you want to see how the mini-z scene is in other countries without leaving your seat... You can click on the thread to some articles i wrote in my signature below and read on... Hope you enjoy reading them as much as i wrote them...

Last edited by herman; 2016.02.17 at 07:30 PM.