Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.09.23, 12:16 PM   #1
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Atomic Tire Warmer for Racer and AWD

I just got news that Atomic will be releasing a tire warmer. This is good news for people that race in cool environments, I know it will help me out a bit.

It will run off of 12v from what I have heard.

I will let you guys know more as I find out about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TireWarmer.jpg (29.8 KB, 529 views)
Old 2009.09.23, 12:18 PM   #2
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

cool(or hot)im up for getting one
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 03:58 PM   #3
Programmers
iTomCash

Your tires wont maintain the heat it provides, I imagine... So if anything, through the race won't your handling become worse?
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 04:10 PM   #4
Tjay

I don't see the need of tire warmer but I must give atomic props for finaly releasing something in mini-z line. It has been a while. Thanks!!
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 04:18 PM   #5
color01

If you tune it right I suppose you could get yourself a couple tenths for the first few laps... but these tires don't heat up that much anyways so you're really splitting hairs with a tire warmer at THIS scale. Cool transplant from 1/10 touring though.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 05:05 PM   #6
addicted

as said above, good idea, but let's face it, they ain't gonna stay warm!
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 05:18 PM   #7
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

On regupol with rubber tires the front tires temperature heats up 8 degrees celsius (I think about 14 degree fahrenheit). This happens in 3 laps at our track.
the start temp is about 22 degree celcius, and it ends up around 30 degree C after two laps. Any hotter than that doesnt happen unless you have a bad setup.
As for the rear tires they typically increase a little more. Around 10 degree C.

This was measured with a proffesional heat sensitive camera.

I dont see the need for tire warmers at all.

If anyone is interested I can share the data i got when i tested tire temp with regular front end, WTF, and A-arm also. The difference is absolutely there.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 05:47 PM   #8
CristianTabush

Please Rune, send me the data... You have my email...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.23, 07:36 PM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

I see a need for the tire warmers. At my local track, the pits are near the entrance to the street, so it will get very cold in winter time. I tend to use harder tires than most people that I race with, so I hope that the tire warmers help me get good first laps, where I cant really push right now until the tires warm up.

I was thinking about working on a tire warmer before I heard about the Atomic product...
Old 2009.09.24, 07:57 AM   #10
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I see a need for the tire warmers. At my local track, the pits are near the entrance to the street, so it will get very cold in winter time. I tend to use harder tires than most people that I race with, so I hope that the tire warmers help me get good first laps, where I cant really push right now until the tires warm up.

I was thinking about working on a tire warmer before I heard about the Atomic product...
Then I can understand the need for tirewarmers. How much running do you have to do before the tires are up to temp?

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.24, 12:21 PM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

Typically its less than a minute before the race starts.
Old 2009.09.24, 12:43 PM   #12
Tjay

Last night I ran atomic 8's in the rear, my first time running it and now I understand why you'd want to use a tire warmer. This tire has zero grip on the first lap but after few laps, the traction starts to come in.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.24, 12:59 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

I usually use ATM 8d rear and 40d front... So it takes about 5-10 laps until tires are fully up to grip. Which means you have to drive on the edge of traction on the starts, but later in the race, after tires come in, you have great traction while people with softer tires start to lose grip...
Old 2009.09.24, 01:04 PM   #14
benmlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post

If anyone is interested I can share the data i got when i tested tire temp with regular front end, WTF, and A-arm also. The difference is absolutely there.

I think people would be very interested in the data. Can you post them here or email them to me too.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.24, 01:54 PM   #15
oopster
www.sldmodels.co.uk

Send a message via AIM to oopster Send a message via Yahoo to oopster
heat

I've used tyre warmers before, but on my 1/10th and 1/14th. Didn't really work on the 1/14th, but they don't tend to with foam tyres, but almost everyone uses tyre warmers when racing on rubber tyres outdoors. Your tyres might cool down, but only to their peak operating temperature. So it will help for the first 3 to 4 laps on a big track, and probably the first 5 to 6 laps on a regular hfay track.
oopster is offline   Reply With Quote