Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.03.08, 08:43 AM   #1
briankstan

HFAY - ideas for adding new series

we are looking to expand and add some different races or series to the current offerings of HFAY

If your group or club is insterested please post up what would best suit you club and what you'd like to run. things that we would be considering are classes running larger tracks, different turn motors for those that want to go faster etc.

We aren't limited by time as the new system takes care of most of the work. We could possibly be adding 1, 2 or even more depending on what people would like to see.

some ideas...

Box Stock Class
50T Motor Class on 3 Wide L tracks, (possible addition like wide turns as well).
Stand alone month BTE Races. (all 3 current HFAY classes).

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks.
Old 2012.03.08, 09:19 AM   #2
imxlr8ed

IMOs...

As you know, we are running the ISRL. I was pushing to run HFAY but when we found out about a 3WL series, we jumped right in. It's been 2 months in and looking at the numbers it's some really tight racing up top.

I guess above all, it's a 3WL series that fit in my basement and we get to run with crews we knew and raced with before. Also, Dusty was accommodating enough to change some tracks around so we could get all the tracks in.

I don't know if Dusty wants to connect his ISRL with HFAY but I think it would be an excellent mix.

I don't really agree with the weight limits only for the fact that it's just one more thing to tech, I do understand why they did it though.

Also, if his current series had some wide inside turns it would be perfection to us here in PA (I know me and Larry miss the passing opportunities in the big radius layouts) but I do understand that he was gunning for availability and some clubs may not have a Wide-Inside turn kit.

70turn for stock, forever! (or at least until a brushless equivalent evolves out of Kyosho) Mod class should be open motor, and I mean anything! The ISRL LMP class is cool but I think the wheelbase and body requirements could be opened up. I do like the fact that we had all LM cars out there though.

F1... I always thought it should be F1 tires, F1 body, correct wheelbase and track... all else is open for modification. But I've been very happy to run them in the current HFAY BTE format.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.08, 12:34 PM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
here are some suggestions based on my understanding of the automation.

classes:
80T (box stock)
70T (current HFAY spec
50T (whatever you guys call the next bump up)
open (unlimited)
dNano
Buggy
F1
Losi 1/24 SCT/RC

categories:
2WL
3WL (current BTE series)
4WL
Limited Edition (Worlds size track layouts)

modify submission process to select the category and then class. this allows anyone to run any category and class combination of choice and still able to compare results with those in the same class or others (selectable).

this addresses the need to add classes, add larger tracks and allows the club to determine whenever they want, whatever combination they want. our club could then run 2WL on standard race days and 3WL/4WL on alternates. additionally, we could steer beginners to 80T till they are better able to handle 70T-50T and at the same time allow the top tier to run the class they want vs. having to crush everyone in a slower class.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.08, 03:42 PM   #4
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

It would be better if we collaborate our efforts rather than compete with spinoffs to bring more people into the sport. Let HFAY do what it does best- 2WL stock. ISRL is well designed for multi-class Le Mans on 3WL. The Atomic club is doing even bigger layouts with a different motor system, etc.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.08, 03:59 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
no offense but ISRL may not suit everyone's needs nor may they like the rules, etc. just as is the case with HFAY. same goes with the atomic club whatever it is they are doing. it's not like HFAY has not been planning this expansion for many years either. unfortunately it's taken a long time to get to the point where it's now possible. i don't see HFAY expansion as encroaching on other systems but offering yet another opportunity that may suit other clubs better. i'd rather have more options myself rather than trying to push everyone through a smaller number of systems.

in my opinion, if HFAY sticks to 2WL, it's dead or dying. the growing trend right now is 3WL or larger. I'm personally pushing HFAY to change and adapt vs. sticking with a shrinking segment.

Last edited by arch2b; 2012.03.08 at 04:05 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.08, 04:34 PM   #6
briankstan

I have put in 6 years into this, and there are really only 2 options. Expand and add the tracks and classes that people want to run, or simply close the doors and be done with it.

It's been a labor of the love of racing and having a place where clubs can come to to both compete and give some sort of structure and a defined race program but to be honest if were not growing than we need to make some changes to what more people want, We'll still have the 2WL races for those that choose to do it. I appreciate those people that choose to participate in the series and we also want to grow.

I love running on larger track as much as everyone else, but lets face it lots have clubs have different needs and capabilities, along with their own limiting factors. Space being one of those that limits some clubs as well.

With the new system we can easily accommodate all the different types of racing in one local place (HFAY) and if that's what everyone want and will participate in than we'll do it. If not than that is fine too.