Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.08.16, 09:58 AM   #1
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

the circuit board

could someone people give me some information on how to fix the circuit board?

while i was running the ol, it stopped, i tried turning on/ off, it still does not solve the problem, my guess was that the circuit board got burnt because nothing works and i just got a new moter and just got the steering fixed. so i went to my local hobby shops and checked, people there said that it has a big chance that the circuit board is burnt, and they recommend me to buy a new board that cost $700 HK, ofcause i won't buy it until i have no choice. i've got few people that are willing to fix it for me free of charge but then its too troublesome for me to go look for them. i was just wondering if it is possible for me to fix by myself. if yes, then how?

i would appreciate it if someone would help
SuicidalSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.16, 04:08 PM   #2
SuperFly
bitPimp

If nothing at all works, I would think it's a battery/power problem. Usually when a board goes, it's fried fets (in which case your steering would still work normally) or the antenna shorts (and everything still works, but your range is only about 6 inches). Boards don't usually just fry completely and have no function at all.

Double check your battery contacts and the wires going from the batteries to the board.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.17, 11:55 AM   #3
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly
If nothing at all works, I would think it's a battery/power problem. Usually when a board goes, it's fried fets (in which case your steering would still work normally) or the antenna shorts (and everything still works, but your range is only about 6 inches). Boards don't usually just fry completely and have no function at all.

Double check your battery contacts and the wires going from the batteries to the board.

the steering did work before i opened up the whole thing, like the this burnt and then i tried steering , and it works, then i opened up to see if any cable is loose, but then every cable is in place but then the cylinder object in the back of the circuit borad became black, so thats how i know it was burnt, so is it possible to fix the burnt circuit borad?
Old 2006.08.17, 09:01 PM   #4
traxxasman215
Overland Freak

Send a message via AIM to traxxasman215 Send a message via MSN to traxxasman215
Looks like you fried your fets. What motor were you running?

And here's some questions to ask yourself before you replace them...
Are you any good at soldering? Do you feel comfortable soldering on such small pieces?
Old 2006.08.18, 12:02 AM   #5
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxasman215
Looks like you fried your fets. What motor were you running?

And here's some questions to ask yourself before you replace them...
Are you any good at soldering? Do you feel comfortable soldering on such small pieces?
i've tried solderring, im not good at it lol, how can i tell what moter i am having? coz like the hobby store just told me to put the moter they gave me, so like now im going to give the circuit to my frd, coz he is good at those stuff, and he will fix or replace them for me. so was the cause of the burnt on the circuit because of the moter?
Old 2006.08.18, 12:16 PM   #6
traxxasman215
Overland Freak

Is there any way that you can take a picture of the motor? Also check to make sure your friend really knows what he is doing. I mean if he messes up, a new board is $60. I suggest you either have the shop do it for you with the fet service or I can do it for you. If you can get good proof that your friend is good with electronics and he knows what he is doing, then go for it.

Also, can you take a picture of both sides of the board?
Old 2006.08.19, 04:30 AM   #7
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

Quote:
Is there any way that you can take a picture of the motor? Also check to make sure your friend really knows what he is doing. I mean if he messes up, a new board is $60. I suggest you either have the shop do it for you with the fet service or I can do it for you. If you can get good proof that your friend is good with electronics and he knows what he is doing, then go for it.

Also, can you take a picture of both sides of the board?
the board

board

moter

moter

my friend has like a elelctronics store, he knows how to fix it, i think but still if u have more exoperience then if you could be kind enough to help me fix it
above are the pictures. those label were for my friend.

i've checked the price on those board, its god damn $100, like $700 Hong Kong dollars, i don't really want to pay that much for it lol

Last edited by SuicidalSnowman; 2006.08.19 at 04:56 AM.
Old 2006.08.19, 05:02 AM   #8
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

the front side

Old 2006.08.19, 02:38 PM   #9
Newbster
Actual Picture

Send a message via AIM to Newbster
Nice pictures

If the "burnt" area is the little brown spot on the fets (near your thumb in the second picture) than it is a simple fix, swapping in new fets should solve the problem for you, and if your friend has an elox store he should be semi decent at soldering, so it should be no problem for you =D
Old 2006.08.21, 09:50 AM   #10
traxxasman215
Overland Freak

The fets near his thumb are the steering fets. They are not fried since the car still turns.

I think your friend should be capable of doing it since he owns a electronics store. The problem is that you are in HK and I am in the US. Shipping is a pain.
Old 2006.08.21, 12:21 PM   #11
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

Quote:
The fets near his thumb are the steering fets. They are not fried since the car still turns.

I think your friend should be capable of doing it since he owns a electronics store. The problem is that you are in HK and I am in the US. Shipping is a pain.
yeah, shipping will make me cry lol, my friend should be able to fix it this sunday, since he is on vacation, thanks anyway,

do you think the problem was caused by the moter?
Old 2006.08.21, 02:37 PM   #12
LBRC

From the photo’s I can think of a couple of things, first the motor has been tampered with in the attached enhanced photo note the bungled overheated soldering job connecting the capacitors to the case, and then note that the capacitors are configured for an AWD. To test the motor all you have to doe is connect it to a single charged battery as long as it turns and doesn’t get too hot it's ok. The motor problem I see is that I can’t quite picture how it fit in an Overland motor mount at all since the capacitors would interfere with correct mounting of the motor mount.

The second photo shows what is likely the problem; see the pinched ground wire, shorting the ground wire to a motor tab is definitely a bad thing and will cause everything you are describing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ovrheated solder to case not Ol motor.jpg (22.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Possible short to ground.jpg (35.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by LBRC; 2006.08.21 at 02:44 PM.
LBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.23, 08:49 AM   #13
SuicidalSnowman
kAmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBRC
From the photo’s I can think of a couple of things, first the motor has been tampered with in the attached enhanced photo note the bungled overheated soldering job connecting the capacitors to the case, and then note that the capacitors are configured for an AWD. To test the motor all you have to doe is connect it to a single charged battery as long as it turns and doesn’t get too hot it's ok. The motor problem I see is that I can’t quite picture how it fit in an Overland motor mount at all since the capacitors would interfere with correct mounting of the motor mount.

The second photo shows what is likely the problem; see the pinched ground wire, shorting the ground wire to a motor tab is definitely a bad thing and will cause everything you are describing.
thank you guys, for the lots and lots of info that you guys have given me,

Appreciated