Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.09.23, 10:13 PM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

review: motor temp study

Once again another eye opening review from yours truly. But this time on motor temperatures. Ever wonder how much difference an alloy rear heat sink for the F1 really makes? what about the air intake over the drivers head? will having it open versus closed make a difference? I spent some time at the LHS this past Saturday with the goal of answering these very questions. I realize this is an F1 based article. However as an added bonus i took the liberty of analyzing the effect of the sedan alloy motor mount as well.

PURPOSE: In this review I’ll be covering kyosho's alloy rear heat sink plate for the F1 (mzw-06) and it's effects on heat reduction, the effects of having an open air intake versus closed using different F1 body shells and also a temp comparison using the TopCad alloy motor mount for the sedan.

First, some preliminary information.

EQUIPMENT- Use of a temp gun allows for pinpoint accuracy in reading motor temps since it uses infrared technology. Many thanks to the LHS owner of Tom Thumb Hobbies (where I frequent) in Columbus, Ohio who was nice enough to loan me his Raytek non-contact temp gun used to obtain the data for this review. Thanks Mike.

PROCEDURE- When obtaining temp readings, I would scan for the hottest point (out of several points) on the motor-can. I found that different temp readouts were showing dependent on where I aimed the infrared laser. As expected, the areas closest to the plastic cap showed the lowest temps. Naturally so since the plastic would absorb some heat. What i've recorded below are the highest temp readouts found regardless of what point on the motor-can they were obtained.

VEHICLES/motor

a. MCLAREN F1- results in this section were obtained using my mclaren body set and the Z-130-A-BB (aka MiniZRacer.com) motor. I had also tested the effects of an open air intake on motor temperature by using the williams/compaq body (mid section only). For those unfamiliar, the Williams has an OPEN air intake unit (over the driver’s head) compared to the mclaren body where the intake is closed. I was curious to see if having this open intake had any influence on temperature and by how much. i elected to use the two separate bodies since i didn't want to damage my mclaren with the risk of botching things up in the process of creating a hole.

b. DTM D2 MERCEDES SEDAN- With this I used the xspeed motor without turbo instead of the A-BB motor from the F1. I don't feel this compromises the study as the goal was to determine cooling effects of option parts irrespective of motors used. Besides that i was too lazy and time limited to do all the switching around.

HOP UPS- both vehicles have duratrax ball bearings, kyosho ball diffs and 6T pinions (among a slew of other things). again, no turbo was used for either vehicle.

And now on to the nitty gritty. Here are the results of my findings:

MOTOR TEMP RESULTS.

MCLAREN F1

baseline temp- 80 degrees

a. Using stock motor plate.

after 10 minutes- 88degrees

after 20 minutes- 88 degrees

after 30 minutes- 88 degrees

b. Using alloy motor plate (mzw-06)- 83 degrees (after 30 min)

Note: it was interesting to find there were no increases in the motor's peak temp at 10 min and beyond with the A-BB. There was a rise in temp by 8 degrees from baseline when using the stock plate whereas the alloy heat sink allowed an increase by 3 degrees. A 5 degree drop with the alloy plate.

F1 WITH WILLIAMSF1 BODY

a. Using stock motor plate- 85 degrees (after 30 min)

Note: The williams body with it's open intake did help to limit the max temp to 85 degrees . A difference of 3 degrees compared to the mclaren with closed intake. It proves an open intake does have some effect on motor temperature.

SEDAN

baseline motor temp- 80 degrees

a. Using stock motor casing- 108 degrees (after 30 min)

b. Using Alloy motor mount- 98 degrees (after 30 min)

Note: this was the most shocking finding of all. notice the max temp achieved was 108 degrees! after 30 minutes of run time using the stock casing. The alloy motor mount on the other hand helped to limit the max temp to 98 degrees. a reduction of 10 degrees!

OBSERVATIONS:

a. Max heat without alloy parts- when comparing the max stock temperatures, note the F1s was 20 degrees COOLER than the sedan. This even after using a hotter running motor on the F1. It goes to show the design of the F1 has a very significant impact toward efficient cooling without use of alloy parts. This is most likely due to the semi-open exposure of the motor as well as flow of air thru the side pods.

b. Max heat with alloy parts- the alloy motor mount for the sedan helped to decrease heat by a huge margin of 10 degrees. This is important to consider when applying it's use to the sedan since again, the motor lends to much higher temperatures due to lack of air current.

CONCLUSION: It's well known that alloy helps to dissipate heat more efficiently than plastic. within the limits of this study, we can surmise both in general and specifically that alloy parts play a significant roll in limiting heat created by the motor. The cooling effects influenced also by how the motor is exposed to free flowing air. Alloy costs much more than replacement plastic parts. However when it comes to helping preserve the motor by minimizing heat, the functional benefits of alloy is something to consider.

I welcome any comments, additions, critiques, and arguments.

thank you for your time.

West.F1

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.09.24 at 06:40 AM.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.24, 02:32 AM   #2
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
Great Review !, I was wondering for some time if that airintake would help a little, I thought it would not do anything at this scale but it really does !
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.24, 03:09 AM   #3
PITZON
MR 02 Driver

Send a message via ICQ to PITZON
Nice Work! I Like studies like this.. Really fun to read

Check out some of my cars http://mini-zracer com/gallery/pitzon
PITZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.24, 04:47 AM   #4
le-manz
Mini-Zter

Location: Copenhagen-Denmark-Europe-The world-Space-Giants toenail
great stuff as always from mr west

maybe you could compare motor temperatures between stock, x-speed, mzr-motors, nml whatever you got.

Well this saturday we where 4 different drivers that swapped from stock to x-speed and it seemed like the x-speeds where running cooler after a set of batteries than the stock motor, giving better "fuel" economy. maybe you could clarify this with the speedgun as i guess motor temp has a great influence on runtime, speed, accel etc.

Higher temps increases the resistance leading to faster drainage of the batteries, lower speed. Actually i noticed that i in general has longer runtimes compared to the others i race with. I'm also the only one with an alloy motormount which proves west' point
le-manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.24, 06:30 AM   #5
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
maybe you could compare motor temperatures between stock, x-speed, mzr-motors, nml whatever you got.

good idea LeMans. a future review i had in mind. Once i get the FET service completed i'll include the M-BB motor as well.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.09.24 at 06:39 AM.
Old 2002.09.24, 01:34 PM   #6
ScottMcLeod

Send a message via ICQ to ScottMcLeod Send a message via AIM to ScottMcLeod Send a message via Yahoo to ScottMcLeod
To fix the sedan's heat issues... all you have to do is race without a front windshield. The air will flow in, along, and out the rear at the bottom of the chassis. (flowing over the motor mount on it's way out)

I don't know how it would affect the aerodynamics, but it would likely help with the heat issues.
Old 2002.09.29, 11:40 AM   #7
mini-z
Administrator

Another great piece from West.F1! With the 108 degree X-Speed, did you notice decreased performance? Because heat really kills motor performance fast.
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.29, 09:33 PM   #8
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

if there were a drop in performance i couldn't tell. or at least it wasn't obvious. i was keen on keeping clean lines over the 30 minute sessions without interuptions. with and without the alloy mount, the car lasted 30 minutes with both having a drop in power which i contributed to the draining of the batteries vs affects from the differences in heat.
Old 2002.09.30, 01:42 AM   #9
herman

wow that reveiw sounded really cool... man i really like reading your reviews...

actually when the air intake came off of my jordan months ago... i thought of doing it without even knowing if there would be any effect, nevertheless i got my trusty dremel and put a hole in it going right through the body...now with west's test... i'm glad i did... funny though that with that very small hole, you'ld get any cooling effect...

there was one guy at the track who shaved out a considerable amount of plastic in the motor pod area... a square shaped hole on the bottom side of his f-1 exposing a large area of the motor... hmm... now i'm wondering if i should do the same thing... i knew i posted a picture here somewhere... cool's the rule...

questions for west...

how'd you get the baseline temp of 80?
did you test the bmw body with the alloy heat sink? temp?

i'm kind of surprised that the stock motor casing for the sedan could take all that heat... but anyway, what kind of alloy motor mount did you have during testing?

and hmm if i read it right, you used a mzr.com motor in the f-1, and an x-speed for the sedan... and the mzr.com motor ran cooler than an x-speed??? what a plug for mzr.com motors...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.30, 09:11 AM   #10
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

thanks for the questions herman. here are your answers

(cough. adjusts microphone. takes drink of water, adjust hat)

Q: how'd you get the baseline temp of 80?

A: i went strictly by what the Raytek gun read as i pointed
the laser at different areas of the casing. this prior to running
both cars on the track. all areas of the casing on both
motors read 80 degrees regardless of where i pointed the
laser.

Q: did you test the bmw body with the alloy heat sink? temp?

A: no i did not. the main goal was to see how the alloy heat
sink compared to the stock plate. in this case the same
body needed to be used when the car was ran on both
sessions.

similarly, i wanted to compare the intakes with and without
a hole with everything else unchanged. so in this case
the plastic plate had to be put back on before taking the
car was taken out again for a spin

i had thought about using both the williams body and the
alloy plate but was time limited. maybe next time though so
the benefits of both can be quantified. i would guess about a
7 degree difference based on the data so far.

Q: i'm kind of surprised that the stock motor casing for the sedan could take all that heat... but anyway, what kind of alloy motor mount did you have during testing?

A: this was the 'highest' reading of several readings i took on the motor casing. the rest of the readings were lower namely in the mid to high 90s so it wasn't 108 all around. The next highest temp i believe was 104. as for the motor mount, i have the silver topcad.

Q: if i read it right, you used a mzr.com motor in the f-1, and an x-speed for the sedan... and the mzr.com motor ran cooler than an x-speed??? what a plug for mzr.com motors...

A: yes, that's right. the hotter running mzr motor was cooler than the xspeed after running it in the F1 car. For now i would contribute this to the F1s design since more air passes over the motor. since i didn't use the mzr in both vehicles, it would be hard to tell with some confidence if it were the motor too. i think i'll do a comparitive test next time to see how the mzr does when placed in the sedan.

[thank you very much gentlemen for joining us. this ends our press conference for today]

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.09.30 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2002.09.30, 11:52 PM   #11
herman

golf clap.... golf clap.... golf clap....

golf clap - the kind of clap you hear at those golf tournaments... along with those ooohs and aaaahs....
herman is offline   Reply With Quote