Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.03.25, 12:56 PM   #16
67 Mustang

gear noise

Hi and I can't compare to the AMZ 4wd as I don't have one. I do have a Mini-Z AWD 020 VE and I would say it's very close to that in gear noise volume, but the pitch of the sound is slightly lower. The AMZ 2wd is a little more noisy than any of my 2wd Mini-z's but isn't very noticeable.
Bob
67 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.30, 01:59 PM   #17
67 Mustang

I thought I'd post pics of the latest version of my AMZ 2wd. I have the transponder working and made an aluminum spacer on the track rod screw on the left side.
I get better lap times - about .2 sec - with the AMZ over the Mini-z. It's not a great difference from 5.3 to 5.5 sec a lap, but it's enough to win and I'm still getting used to it. I think the main advantage is in the corners as I don't have to slow down as much.
Let me know if there are any questions.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP-down-1.jpg (123.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg TP-down-2.jpg (125.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TP-down-3.jpg (150.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 2015.03.30, 02:08 PM   #18
67 Mustang

Here's the body I use on the AMZ 2wd. I adapted a BRZ white body by enlarging the rear wheel well about 5mm. rearward. I like the overall fit and look of the body and it's the right size to get through traffic. It's not going to be in any "concours" event, it's just for racing. The large bumper on the front helps save the steering servo and reduces "lawn dart" tendencies on the RCP walls.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP-down-4.jpg (88.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg TP-down-5.jpg (110.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg TP-down-6.jpg (111.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 2015.03.30, 02:36 PM   #19
67 Mustang

I finally found a workable solution to use the stock esc and steering servo and here are a few pics of it. Since I couldn't get stock receiver to bind to the Turnigy 3XS transmitter, I decided to use the XR3100 receiver that came with the transmitter. First, I "decased" the receiver and esc and then plugged the esc into channel 2 of the receiver and found that it worked well. I removed the antenna from the stock receiver and transferred it to the Turnigy receiver to use less space in the car. I wanted to use the small connector on the servo so I removed corresponding plug from the stock receiver and soldered it on the Turnigy receiver after desoldering the standard pins from the Turnigy. I then hardwired the esc to the channel 2 lands on the Turnigy receiver and adapted the plastic case to hold the hybrid receiver/esc.
Using the stock AMZ 7.4v. lipo really wakes up the throttle and steering responses compared to the 3.7v I used on the Mini-Z conversion! I haven't installed a transponder yet but it definitely seems faster. On my small 8 by 12 ft. track, it's overkill, but really fun. I had to dial back end points on throttle and steering to 50% just to have control. I use the same body on both versions. Let me know if there are any questions.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rec-down-1.jpg (158.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Rec-down-2.jpg (154.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Rec-down-3.jpg (105.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Rec-down-4.jpg (199.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Rec-down-5.jpg (92.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by 67 Mustang; 2015.03.30 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2015.03.30, 10:56 PM   #20
dameetz

Do you think the servo can somehow be mounted in lay down position? Also can you list down important parts that need to be replace to the option ones?

Thanks.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.31, 02:17 PM   #21
67 Mustang

I think it would be difficult to lay the servo down because of the top structure which stiffens the chassis a great deal. It seems that you wouldn't want to eliminate that structure and I don't see any way to lay down the servo without weakening or eliminating the top structure. The top view pics I posted will help visualize this.
I'm not sure which parts you're referring to. I used the receiver that came with the Turnigy transmitter. You could use the same technique on any brand receiver of the correct size. I used the stock esc that comes with the car and just desoldered the three connections between the receiver and esc boards and then hardwired the esc to the receiver printed circuit lands of the Turnigy receiver.
The steering linkage I made was from some old helicopter parts I've had and not used for years. It was an E-sky heli and I got it from X-heli. I don't know if they are still stocking parts but you might look on their website. I think most any 450 heli parts would work. I would look for a "linkage rod" replacement set. The rod is about 30mm. long with a 1.5 mm. diameter.
Let me know if this is the info you wanted and if there are any questions.
Bob
Old 2015.06.02, 10:24 AM   #22
Mrs Mini-Z
Administrator

Hi!
Just wanted to let you all know that we have both the 2WD AMR RTR and Kit on sale:

Save $10 on the Atomic 2WD AMR RTR Chassis and Transmitter Set (2.4GHz FHSS) with the coupon code JUNEAMRRTR.

Save $10 on the Atomic 2WD AMR Assembly Kit Tx-Less Chassis Set (2.4GHz FHSS) with the coupon code JUNEAMRKIT.

Also, in case you didn't hear, we've got GoGoLap in stock and ready to ship!!

If you have any questions, let me know at: shophelp@tinyrc.com
Thanks!
Meridith
Mrs Mini-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.01, 11:41 AM   #23
john.c

Hi guys, I recently picked up the Atomic AMZ 2WD International Ver and I’m now looking for a suitable. The description indicates that both the lexan and ABS bodies are compatible with optional parts. What optional parts do I need to mount a lexan body? I only see the 4wd lexan mounting kit on Atomic’s website and it does not appear that the rear piece would work on the 2wd. If I need to run a ABS body, what Kyohso Mini-Z Autoscale body would work best on the 98 wheelbase configuration? Thanks in advance.
john.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 05:13 AM   #24
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Jumping ahead, there are a good deal of bodies available for 98mm wheelbase. I would recommend checking out http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm and checking to see what are most commonly run on your local track. If not used on a track, pick what most interests you.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 09:04 AM   #25
john.c

Thanks for posting the link. This is excellent and exactly what I was looking/hoping for. I guess I'll start with the Audi R8 body and slowly build up the collection. I love the scale realism of these bodies.
Old 2015.07.02, 09:15 AM   #26
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
The scale look of the car is what drew and keeps me in mini-z and shapes my purpose or style of racing vs end goal of ultimately being the fastest.

Glad I'm not alone in getting into the scale and detail
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.02, 06:57 PM   #27
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
The scale look of the car is what drew and keeps me in mini-z and shapes my purpose or style of racing vs end goal of ultimately being the fastest.

Glad I'm not alone in getting into the scale and detail
Same here, Ray!!

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.07, 01:40 PM   #28
john.c

I received my AMZ 2WD over the weekend. I went through each bag and my initial impressions were positive. There's a lot of plastic pieces so I’ve started to load up my cart with all of the aluminum hop ups that are available. This chassis is going to cost as much as my 10th scale cars when I’m done. Ouch!

Does anyone know if the servo in the the international kit is digital or analog? I suspect it's analog but wanted to check with you guys first. Also, has anyone tried the optional ball diff yet? The gear diff does feel smooth (w/o any lube yet) but I’d prefer the optional ball diff for ease of tuning.

20150707_141650_resized.jpg
20150707_141710_resized_1.jpg
20150707_141645_resized_1.jpg
Old 2015.07.07, 10:46 PM   #29
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.c View Post
I received my AMZ 2WD over the weekend. I went through each bag and my initial impressions were positive. There's a lot of plastic pieces so I’ve started to load up my cart with all of the aluminum hop ups that are available. This chassis is going to cost as much as my 10th scale cars when I’m done. Ouch!

Does anyone know if the servo in the the international kit is digital or analog? I suspect it's analog but wanted to check with you guys first. Also, has anyone tried the optional ball diff yet? The gear diff does feel smooth (w/o any lube yet) but I’d prefer the optional ball diff for ease of tuning.

Attachment 34651
Attachment 34650
Attachment 34649
Why spend so much money on a chassis that is less useful than its counterpart (the 4wd AMZ) and even less useful than say the MRX or even 03 chassis? Run it as is stock there is nothing wrong with it if you are kicking around the 10th scale track. If you want a real performer look into the X-power MRX (or maybe even my pan car : demracing.net) but if you are just having fun stick with what you have, all the aluminum is just bling in all seriousness and the stock servo is fine but if you want something better try the corona ds919 from hobby king as it is 8 bucks compared to the 36 of the atomic digital mg and I have both and can say they are equally good with different price tags Spend money on tires before you buy expensive bling, but I will say that from what I have heard the ball diff is a worthwhile upgrade.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 10:09 AM   #30
john.c

I’m new to the micro scale so I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and helpful advice. I’m trying to understand your comment about the Atomic 2wd being less useful than their 4wd offering. Did you mean less capable? I checked out the X-Power 4wd IMT and the DMR pan car and they are both very cool. I’ve raced 12th scale pan cars and know first hand how capable they are on carpet running foam tires. I chose the Atomic 2wd version due to the simplicity (2wd drivetrain), electronic layout, and weight balance/bias. Also, I prefer independent suspension vs. the solid axle in the rear when running rubber tires. Most importantly, the decision between LiPO vs NiCD/NiMH battery was a no brainer which ruled out the Kyosho cars. I will look into the servo from Hobby King, that price is killer. The ball diff is sold out everywhere so I’ll need to wait for that to come back in stock.

I’m moving to VA in the Fall and I do plan on racing this car in the mod class at my local RCP track. The rules for their mod class is very open with the only restriction being no silicone tires. From what I’ve seen online (Youtube videos), the track size is on the smaller side compared to the other tracks. I’m not convinced that 4wd and high HP is required to be competitive there. I guess I'll find out in the Fall. There are no 10th scale indoor tracks in that area so I do plan on sticking with micro racing. I’ll have some time to figure it out (eventually).

EDIT: I looked at the MRX. That is NICE!! Price is not so nice

Last edited by john.c; 2015.07.08 at 11:05 AM.